The Student Room Group

Biochemistry or Neuroscience

Hello! I’m currently interested at studying either biochemistry or neuroscience at university in scotland but cannot for the life of me pick which course to do. I’ve done so much research into what each course entails but I don’t feel a strong pull towards one of them as they both equally sound interesting to me. It’s really up to the job prospects but I’m not really up for working in a lab and if i don’t find a job that suits me through the 4 years i’m considering doing graduate medicine. Any tips for picking my undergrad??
Original post by hanajess
Hello! I’m currently interested at studying either biochemistry or neuroscience at university in scotland but cannot for the life of me pick which course to do. I’ve done so much research into what each course entails but I don’t feel a strong pull towards one of them as they both equally sound interesting to me. It’s really up to the job prospects but I’m not really up for working in a lab and if i don’t find a job that suits me through the 4 years i’m considering doing graduate medicine. Any tips for picking my undergrad??

Do you dislike lab work? Like in general?
Reply 2
Original post by Crimson7777777
Do you dislike lab work? Like in general?

I do really enjoy lab work! I would just prefer working in an out of lab setting
I do really enjoy lab work! I would just prefer working in an out of lab setting

Biochem tends to lend itself to lab work more than neuro in the long term I'd say x
Reply 4
Original post by Crimson7777777
Biochem tends to lend itself to lab work more than neuro in the long term I'd say x

ahh interesting! thank u<3

Hi @hanajess

I'd recommend looking at both the biochemistry and neuroscience courses at a range of universities and looking closely into the modules and course structure. They are likely to share some core biology themes and while neuroscience degrees may have compulsory neuro-focussed modules, biochemistry degrees may also have similar modules available as optional choices.

I study biochemistry at Lancaster, and I chose this course because I have a particular interest in molecular biology and the degree has pathways which allow me to have a strong understanding of chemistry alongside it, however, degrees with the same name will vary between universities. Maybe also check out some natural science degrees and see if any allow you to take a combination of biochemistry and neuroscience modules?

I hope I could help! :smile:
Rebecca (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending