The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ShredAlert
The following question has me quite puzzled.
x^2>x for x>1

I don't know how I can prove this to be right or wrong.

You can safely multiply through inequalities by positive quantities (like x here, for example) and not have to worry about the sign changing direction.

You need to start from what you know and show what you want; what is it that you know about x here?
Reply 2
The following question has me quite puzzled.
x^2>x for x>1

I don't know how I can prove this to be right or wrong.

Perhaps:

Spoiler

Reply 3
So this is what I got so far.
x2>x
x2-x>0
x(x-1)>0

kind of hit a brick wall after this.
Reply 4
x2>x
x2-x>0
x(x-1)>0

If x>1 is x positive or negative
If x>1 is (x-1) positive or negative
Reply 5
x2>x
x2-x>0
x(x-1)>0

If x(x-1)>0 both factors in the product must be either greater than 0 or less than 0.
(Negative x Negative), (Positive x Positive) both make positive.
What does this tell you about x?
Reply 6
x2>x
x2-x>0
x(x-1)>0

Since x is positive you can just divide by x.
x2>x
x2-x>0
x(x-1)>0

Generally speaking, you shouldn't start from what you're trying to show - usually it's bad logic (although it's not so much a problem here given that the steps are reversible, but still).

What you know is that x>1. Can you start from this and get x^2>x? (hint: it's literally a one step proof using the first line of my previous post).
Original post by joostan
If x(x-1)>0 both factors in the product must be either greater than 0 or less than 0.
(Negative x Negative), (Positive x Positive) both make positive.
What does this tell you about x?

Original post by metaltron
Since x is positive you can just divide by x.

Without further explanation/comments, all that you've done here is shown that x^2>x => x>1; which is not what the OP is trying to show.
Reply 9
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
Without further explanation/comments, all that you've done here is shown that x^2>x => x>1; which is not what the OP is trying to show.

Having worked through surely one could then work back and show that this is true such that x>1 <=> x2 > x (or x<0)and hence the question.
Or have I misunderstood. . . :s-smilie:
(edited 11 years ago)
Wouldn't a sketch be of any help? :/

The further explanation was that x is positive, so you can have double implication arrows.
Original post by joostan
Having worked through surely one could then work back and show that this is true such that x>1 <=> x2 > x
Or have I misunderstood. . . :s-smilie:

That wasn't evident from your post.

The further explanation was that x is positive, so you can have double implication arrows.

Your double implications would require even further explanation - when showing that x^2 > x => x>1 (which is not necessarily true), you're not allowed to assume x>0.
(edited 11 years ago)
Of course, but that wasn't evident from either post.

As for Metaltron's; your double implications would require even further explanation - when showing that x^2 > x => x>1, you're not allowed to assume x>0.

well it says x>1 .
Reply 14
Generally speaking, you shouldn't start from what you're trying to show - usually it's bad logic (although it's not so much a problem here given that the steps are reversible, but still).

What you know is that x>1. Can you start from this and get x^2>x? (hint: it's literally a one step proof using the first line of my previous post).

According to your suggestion I have done the following.
If x>1
multiplying both sides by x gives us x2>x
therefore the statement is true?
Please tell me if this is correct and if so sufficient in detail.
Thanks for all the help.
well it says x>1 .

Which is exactly where the flaw in your logic lies. You claim to be able to use double implications here but, given that the converse is false, this isn't possible. (i.e. x^2>x ≠> x>1) So far, you've claimed that x^2>x, divided by x (assuming that x>1) and shown that x>1.

According to your suggestion I have done the following.
If x>1
multiplying both sides by x gives us x2>x
therefore the statement is true?
Please tell me if this is correct and if so sufficient in detail.
Thanks for all the help.

Yes.
Which is exactly where the flaw in your logic lies. You claim to be able to use double implications here but, given that the converse is false, this isn't possible. (i.e. x^2>x ≠> x>1) So far, you've claimed that x^2>x, divided by x (assuming that x>1) and shown that x>1.

Yes.

I assumed x>0 not x>1. So the end argument says:

Since x>1, x >0 so x^2>x. The other way round is if x is positive x^2 > x goes to x > 1 which is consistent with x being positive. Also, this is so messy that I have to make clear that I was just finishing off what the OP wrote.
Reply 17
It's straight forward.

x²>x and we know that x>1.
So you can divide both sides by x since x is not 0, and also the sign wont change since x is positive.

we get
x²/x>x/x which is equivalent to x>1: this is true. thus proven.

If you want a more complicated solution just prove by induction.
Reply 18
Original post by Giveme45
It's straight forward.

x²>x and we know that x>1.
So you can divide both sides by x since x is not 0, and also the sign wont change since x is positive.

we get
x²/x>x/x which is equivalent to x>1: this is true. thus proven.

If you want a more complicated solution just prove by induction.

You're starting with what you're trying to show, which you shouldn't do.

x>1x>1 implies that x1>0x-1>0 so (x1)(x1)>0(x-1)(x-1)>0

You can do this last step because one of the axioms is that if a>0,b>0a>0, b>0 then ab>0ab >0

x22x+1>0x^2 - 2x + 1 > 0

x2>2x1x^2 > 2x -1

Now using the fact that x>1x>1

x2>x+x1>xx^2 > x + x -1 > x

There's probably a much quicker and neater way of doing it though.
I assumed x>0 not x>1.

Why would you do that?

Since x>1, x >0 so x^2>x.

That's fine. (in fact, this finishes the entire proof as TenofThem alludes to earlier in the thread [and is not what you said in any of your above posts!])

The other way round is if x is positive x^2 > x goes to x > 1 which is consistent with x being positive.

Not fine - you're not allowed to assume x>0 here. You need to show that if x^2>x then x>1 here without any further assumptions about x (including x>0).

[Unless]

Latest