The Student Room Group

C2/FP1 sequence

Scroll to see replies

Original post by UKBrah
I think Ive clocked onto something..
So if I consider the sequence formed by the left of the product of the terms it forms a sequence 1,3,5 etc and same for the right, 2,4,6,8 etc.
The nth term for both of those is (2n-1) and 2n respectively, so can I multiply them together to form (2n-1)2n? It works! :cool:

Good.
Reply 21
Original post by Mr M
Good.

How would one find the general term of a sequence like (3 x 9), (7 x 21), (11 x 34) etc.. is it even possible?

thanks for helping me btw
Original post by UKBrah
How would one find the general term of a sequence like (3 x 9), (7 x 21), (11 x 34) etc.. is it even possible?

thanks for helping me btw

Did you mean (3 x 9), (7 x 21) (11 x 33) as this is easy?

Or were you just typing random numbers?
Reply 23
Original post by Mr M
Did you mean (3 x 9), (7 x 21) (11 x 33) as this is easy?

Or were you just typing random numbers?

Yeah I wrote random numbers, is it possible to find an rth term for a sequence like that. Since I lack the intuition to see the rth term, I would have to use the method I used above.
Original post by UKBrah
Yeah I wrote random numbers, is it possible to find an rth term for a sequence like that. Since I lack the intuition to see the rth term, I would have to use the method I used above.

There isn't a general rule for random numbers!

In general you can look for a pattern in the first numbers and a different pattern in the second numbers. In the modified version I gave you both sets of numbers form arithmetic sequences.
Reply 25
Original post by Mr M
There isn't a general rule for random numbers!

In general you can look for a pattern in the first numbers and a different pattern in the second numbers. In the modified version I gave you both sets of numbers form arithmetic sequences.

Thanks dude I find that so cool.
The product of the nth term of the sequence of the left and right of the product is the nth term of the original sequence
Reply 26
Yep

Quick Reply

Latest