The Student Room Group

How much revision are you doing over Easter?

Scroll to see replies

10-12 hours a day, AS History is so hard! and you have so much information to put in your head for sociology. English Literature, I'm gonna fail it.:frown:
Reply 21
anyone revising for English Lit. :smile:
Reply 22
Aint gonna lie, I got nothing better to do during these holidays so doing days of work.
You have around 3 weeks after Easter, so I suggest you do a lot. Make a list of all the units you need to go through, if you get bored of doing past papers in one unit - move onto another subject. Keep a good balance.

Make a to-do list each day. Get all the past papers done, so in those 3 weeks you can focus on what you're weak at (which you discovered whilst doing the past papers during Easter) and just going through the textbooks.

For Maths students: Past papers, Solomon papers, textbook. Practice is key.
For Econ students: Timing is key, so make sure you time yourself - and train yourself to structure your essays in timed conditions.

Good luck. I am sure you'll do fine :smile:
5 hours a day

going for A*AA in my A-levels (bio chem and physics)
Reply 25
Original post by Secretnerd123
are you doing ocr a2 ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

nah,aqa a2 for psych n english
I have 4 exams, and none. No revision. I'm starting on Wednesday.
My offer is AAA. I've done about 2 hours of work so far.
Original post by Heizenburg
My offer is AAA. I've done about 2 hours of work so far.

has everyone finished all their revision notes cos i cant see the point of revising from the textbook or class notes. made flashcards n mindmaps and hopefully starting proper revision soon :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Secretnerd123
has everyone finished all their revision notes cos i cant see the point of revising from the textbook or class notes. made flashcards n mindmaps and hopefully starting proper revision soon :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yh, to be honest I never care about my class notes.
I have to make my own notes to understand the topics.
Original post by BC95
anyone revising for English Lit. :smile:

Yes! But I've lost 90% of my confidence for English this year. Last year everyone's coursework got moderated down (I still got a B) but I compensated for it in the exam. I've had 5 different teachers since September - one of them resigned, brought another one from retirement, the one who's going through exam texts had to take our coursework lessons and my other exam teacher is leaving on 30th April and so we're bringing another teacher out of retirement to cover us for 3 weeks until study leave. So yeah, pretty crazy and very annoying because it's my strongest subject.

I've been set a ridiculous amount of work to do in prep for the new teacher after the holidays. What exam board are you on and which texts are you studying?
I've made a revision time table that involves doing four of my six modules a day, along with a session of art coursework. So it works out to be about 5ish hours. However, I find I'm more productive if I don't set a specific time limit, but instead decide to cover a certain theme or chapter of a book. It makes revision less of a chore in my mind. :smile:
Original post by SophieGloria
I've made a revision time table that involves doing four of my six modules a day, along with a session of art coursework. So it works out to be about 5ish hours. However, I find I'm more productive if I don't set a specific time limit, but instead decide to cover a certain theme or chapter of a book. It makes revision less of a chore in my mind. :smile:

That really is true.
I usually never make a timetable. I just wakeup and do what I feel like is right for the moment.
I haven't read the other posts so i apologise if someone has already said it. One tip i would give you guys is don't think you need to do set hours each day. I came out last year with A*AB and in my head i had a date where i needed to be ready by. Then i would have a set target of what topics i would need to have done by certain days. So if i finished early i would stop and relax. I feel this works a lot better. Waking up in the morning to the thought of 'i need to do 6 hours today' is daunting. So if you wake up and think 'If i cover Charles II foreign policy, end of communism and cognitive psychology' then that is seen as more of a challenge. Trust me, you will do better that way.
Reply 34
Original post by Pavzky
Yes! But I've lost 90% of my confidence for English this year. Last year everyone's coursework got moderated down (I still got a B) but I compensated for it in the exam. I've had 5 different teachers since September - one of them resigned, brought another one from retirement, the one who's going through exam texts had to take our coursework lessons and my other exam teacher is leaving on 30th April and so we're bringing another teacher out of retirement to cover us for 3 weeks until study leave. So yeah, pretty crazy and very annoying because it's my strongest subject.

I've been set a ridiculous amount of work to do in prep for the new teacher after the holidays. What exam board are you on and which texts are you studying?

Wow sounds crazy, im on OCR studying Jane Eyre & Yeats' poetry (various). Got any revision tips? :smile:
I'm doing GCSEs, but I have 23 exams to do, so I'm revising pretty much 4-5 hours per day(With breaks in between), especially as some topics I need to learn first, as my school hasn't been able to teach them to me.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by BC95
Wow sounds crazy, im on OCR studying Jane Eyre & Yeats' poetry (various). Got any revision tips? :smile:

Are they separate papers? E.g. 1hr paper on Jane Eyre and 1hr paper on Yeats or is it comparative? Either way, I'd find the main themes for each piece. Under each theme, just find quotes, characters (how they reflect/relate to the themes) etc. Remember to look at the AOs as well - they're vital and see how you can fulfill them.

For example, for Dorian Gray, we reduced it to 4 themes (morals, good vs. evil, aestheticism... I've forgotten the last theme, sorry) and just made notes on it. What the characters do, the cultural/contextual information and so on. And 1 very effective thing I did was, for Dorian Gray, just found 7 quotes that covered all of themes and memorised them so whichever theme came up I had quotes to use. My teacher made us write essays up for every major them over a week per essay and then gave us questions on themes again as timed essays for exam prep and so I was very well prepared for the exam. For poetry, I'd get a clean copy of the poems that'll come up and just copy down your annotations for them - I did it for my poetry and it just stuck so I memorised pretty much all of it. Sorry it's quite vague but I hope it helped

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending