The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Original post by Zürich
good win today for you lot, but you must be getting nervous about a top 4 place now? You've got Spurs, the west london derby and got to go to Anfield all in the middle of yet more FA cup/Europa league games in the next 3 weeks.

Not really nervous. Spurs at the bridge and they have a tougher fixture pile up with an even thinner squad than ours. You probably have a similar squad to us in terms of depth in the AM/winger positions.

Really we should have just used our fringe players some more. Only player who does the goods is moses. Marin has been poor(but he never plays but that's probably the reason why) benayoun is finished and I haven't seen him play well for us once(even torres plays well but benayoun is average as ****) If we bought a CM and a striker with our players on loan back we'd have a stronger squad than city no question.
Original post by jam277
Mata got marked out by phil jones for at least 60 mins, this is a guy who's capable of marking ronaldo out a game so I'm not surprised. After that he got more space.

Bertrand needs a run of games tbh. Still think he's quality but he hasn't got much games since rafa has come in bar the odd europa league and nonsense substitutions.

Hmm. I wouldn't so much say that Mata got marked out of the game as he didn't impose himself on the game. I have never, ever seen Mata give away the ball so frequently; it was really, really odd. One expects erratic passing from Mikel and Ramires, and Oscar is still occasionally poor, but I've never seen Mata so poor, and I don't think that was down to Jones's presence. However, I suppose I shouldn't forget that Mata made the decisive pass in the game.

I hope Bertrand gets the games while Ashley Cole is out. I grow weary of waiting for our youngsters to develop; we waste a lot of talent, to an almost criminal level. It's okay with players like Piazon and Chalobah who haven't hit twenty yet, but Bertrand is no longer a fresh-faced youth; he's played around two hundred career games and is well into his twenties.
Reply 302
Original post by KingMessi
Hmm. I wouldn't so much say that Mata got marked out of the game as he didn't impose himself on the game. I have never, ever seen Mata give away the ball so frequently; it was really, really odd. One expects erratic passing from Mikel and Ramires, and Oscar is still occasionally poor, but I've never seen Mata so poor, and I don't think that was down to Jones's presence. However, I suppose I shouldn't forget that Mata made the decisive pass in the game.

I hope Bertrand gets the games while Ashley Cole is out. I grow weary of waiting for our youngsters to develop; we waste a lot of talent, to an almost criminal level. It's okay with players like Piazon and Chalobah who haven't hit twenty yet, but Bertrand is no longer a fresh-faced youth; he's played around two hundred career games and is well into his twenties.

Well in the first half every time I saw mata jones was there a few yards to him and went tight to him, there was a reason why ronaldo struggled to impose himself in the united matches or why fellaini was next to non existent vs them in the 2-0. The funny thing about the decisive pass is that he wasn't marked properly so had space. Plus wasn't mata injured a few days ago? It also makes sense why hazard was good in the game, as they focused on mata for most of the first half so the flashes of talent came from hazard.

No doubt mata was poor, but partially due to SAF's tactics to get him out of the game.

Bertrand will get the games no worries there. Who else do we have? At least we don't have to tolerate bosingwa at left back anymore.

Anyway. How would you guys evaluate our season so far? I'd say disappointing(CL exit, CWC exit and league cup semi final were all extremely disappointing), slightly expected(we were never gonna win the league with a transition team with lack of squad depth) but there's light at the end of the tunnel to save it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by jam277
Well in the first half every time I saw mata jones was there a few yards to him and went tight to him, there was a reason why ronaldo struggled to impose himself in the united matches or why fellaini was next to non existent vs them in the 2-0. The funny thing about the decisive pass is that he wasn't marked properly so had space. Plus wasn't mata injured a few days ago? It also makes sense why hazard was good in the game, as they focused on mata for most of the first half so the flashes of talent came from hazard.

No doubt mata was poor, but partially due to SAF's tactics to get him out of the game.

Bertrand will get the games no worries there. Who else do we have? At least we don't have to tolerate bosingwa at left back anymore.

Anyway. How would you guys evaluate our season so far? I'd say disappointing(CL exit, CWC exit and league cup semi final were all extremely disappointing), slightly expected(we were never gonna win the league with a transition team with lack of squad depth) but there's light at the end of the tunnel to save it.

Perhaps, but there were a number of simple passes that went awry and he wasn't his usual incisive self for the majority of the game. However, I don't disagree that United did set out to stifle him, nor did I believe that he was playing without fatigue. I suppose he'll play on Thursday then be rested for a straightforward game at home to Sunderland.

Yes, of course he will. He's played thirty-two times this season and may well make forty games, which is good for a reserve left-back. I just want to see him make the transition to 'top left-back' soon - it's hard with a player of Ashley Cole's quality, yes, but we can't simply focus on now.

It's been a hugely disappointing season for me. We begun the season in the running for seven trophies and may well win none. Yes, the Premier League and Champions League are always going to be tough to win, and I don't think many of our fans expected those, but there is little excuse for not winning the World Club Cup, or the League Cup. Going out to Swansea in the manner we did was inexcusable. What adds to the sense of disappointment is the knowledge that we were playing some superb football in the months between August and October, reaching its apogee in that great win away to Tottenham. That is the potential our side has. Losing at home to QPR and throwing away 2-0 leads to relegation-threatened sides is embarrassing given the levels of performance that we have shown that we can reach. However, were we to make fourth or third, and win two trophies, it would be a satisfactory season.
Reply 304
Original post by KingMessi
Perhaps, but there were a number of simple passes that went awry and he wasn't his usual incisive self for the majority of the game. However, I don't disagree that United did set out to stifle him, nor did I believe that he was playing without fatigue. I suppose he'll play on Thursday then be rested for a straightforward game at home to Sunderland.

Yes, of course he will. He's played thirty-two times this season and may well make forty games, which is good for a reserve left-back. I just want to see him make the transition to 'top left-back' soon - it's hard with a player of Ashley Cole's quality, yes, but we can't simply focus on now.

It's been a hugely disappointing season for me. We begun the season in the running for seven trophies and may well win none. Yes, the Premier League and Champions League are always going to be tough to win, and I don't think many of our fans expected those, but there is little excuse for not winning the World Club Cup, or the League Cup. Going out to Swansea in the manner we did was inexcusable. What adds to the sense of disappointment is the knowledge that we were playing some superb football in the months between August and October, reaching its apogee in that great win away to Tottenham. That is the potential our side has. Losing at home to QPR and throwing away 2-0 leads to relegation-threatened sides is embarrassing given the levels of performance that we have shown that we can reach. However, were we to make fourth or third, and win two trophies, it would be a satisfactory season.

I agree with this tbh. Say we made second and won two trophies however( 7 games left and 7 points behind isn't impossible) I'd say it's a good season personally. The EL is a very good competition to win and so is the FA cup. We won't have outdone the rest of europe like we did last season(only real madrid had a better season than ours imo) so it's a weird season, a mixture of failure and potential success. I think our team will go all guns blazing in the prem next year though that's for sure.

Yeah I agree with the potential of our side, I still believe that we play the best quality of football in the league when we're in full flow on the basis of this season. I wish we could just have rewinded back to october-january, kept sturridge and bought demba ba.
A few websites reporting Mourinho has agreed a three year contract with Chelsea

Obviously nothing concrete.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Cannotbelieveit

Obviously nothing concrete left.

Yep, it's going viral on twitter.
This is all brilliant, but can we have an actual reliable source confirm this type of news for once?! There was another football related site the other day saying we're much closer to signing Falcao than any other club at the moment.
I'd prefer to see a solid report from Skysports or the BBC regarding Falcao or Mourinho, rather than 3-4 from various sources without grounding. There's nothing a Chelsea fan has wanted more since Mourinho left than to bring him back to his home at the bridge!
Original post by Eloades11
I'd prefer to see a solid report from Skysports or the BBC regarding Falcao or Mourinho

Those news outlets tend to wait until it's official rather than make stories out of rumours.

Best bet is to get twitter alerts from @chelseafc
Reply 310
Ah, if Mourinho came back... BAM

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does Chelsea FC have anything significant in relation to Australia? It's probably just me, but the vast majority of Australians I've spoken to/met are all Chelsea supporters.
Original post by Cannotbelieveit

Obviously nothing concrete.

April Fools
Reply 313
http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/kevin-de-bruyne-gets-chelsea-boost-8558263.html

This is promising!

I hate the back end of uni...taking up all my time :unimpressed:
Reply 314
Original post by iRush
http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/kevin-de-bruyne-gets-chelsea-boost-8558263.html

This is promising!

I hate the back end of uni...taking up all my time :unimpressed:

I know how you feel man. I guess lampard out, de bruyne in from what it's looking like. We need another CM though or to get josh to play a bit part role and essien to stay.
Reply 315
Im not sure if anyone has seen this but its pretty funny

[video="youtube;1l7szEdm6YI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1l7szEdm6YI[/video]
Reply 316
Definitely want to see De Bruyne here next year. If we have ambitions for the title and the CL, we need a match winning striker as well; someone who can carry us on our many bad days. Not to mention we'll be needing a top manager.

If we're content with coming somewhere between 2nd-4th then just bring back De Bruyne, Essien and Lukaku. IF we truly want to go for the title, we need to look at the really top strikers. Falcao and Cavani are both ridiculously expensive . Rumours of Tevez and Dzeko both being on the way out from City, but I'm not sure I'd want either, albeit for altogether different reasons. Certainly not an easy decision. Even Falcao is a gamble because he's coming from a very different style of football both at Porto and Atletico, and we all know that we are cursed with strikers failing to adapt. Maybe for our style Cavani would be better, but again, dat price tag. Gomez might be an option as he seems to no longer be 1st choice, he does score a lot of goals (mostly against poor teams) but his game is extremely limited. Jovetic is not a lone striker, but maybe he could adapt. Who knows what we'll do there, but we need to do something if we want to go for 1st.

In terms of a CM, that's extremely difficult because none of the amazing ones I can think of would be available.

Managerial wise if we're really going for an amazing season we need to strive for someone special. Hiddink or Mourinho, maybe Pellegrini.

That is all, of course, if next season we're going to go for it. If we're content to slowly build up, and have another so called "transitional" year, then Essien, Lukaku and De Bruyne would certainly do wonders. There are plenty of managers good enough to land this squad a top 4 place. I personally have a soft spot for Moyes.
(edited 11 years ago)
Starting XI - Cech; Azpilicueta, Luiz, Terry, Bertrand; Ramires, Lampard; Moses, Mata, Benayoun; Torres.

Not the strongest line-up, but I can understand the rotation given we need to keep up the league position just as importantly. The defence is still reasonably strong, and I think it's important we don't give them an away goal.
There are one or two constants in football which we can all set our watch by and a Rafa rant is one of them. The Chelsea manager has been at it again this week, in response to comments by Ray Wilkins that Ashley Cole picked up his hamstring injury because of Benitez's rotation policy.

"I thought it was the first of April," said Benitez. "I can't take the comment seriously, so first of April. I have a degree in sport science in Spain and some merits in different universities, it is the first time I have ever heard anything like this, so first of April."

So now you know what they teach at University these days - how to spot a first of April gag from Ray Wilkins. Useful.

:rofl:
Is this game showing on TV ?

Latest