The Student Room Group

Durham vs Manchester for Pharmacy?

Thoughts on this.

Received an offer of AAB from both, but am now struggling to decide between the 2. Any help is much appreciated. My insurance is Keele w/ ABB :smile:

Thanks!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
I'd pick Manchester, it has a more established pharmacy school plus Durham tends to have a very 'elitist' atmosphere (from what friends have told me)
Reply 2
I am definitely considering Manchester over Durham. But Durham is an amazing university, and I don't want to miss out on that prestige! I've heard that too, supposedly full of Oxbridge applicants that weren't successful.

Thanks for the advice though, in deciding today :smile:

I suppose Durham has a better reputation. If you can tell an employer you went to Durham, well, you're pretty much sorted.
Reply 4
Original post by karanp95
Thoughts on this.

Received an offer of AAB from both, but am now struggling to decide between the 2. Any help is much appreciated. My insurance is Keele w/ ABB :smile:

Thanks!

Isn't the course at Durham brand new? So that might be worth considering, if you are the trial year :tongue:

I suppose Durham might have a better national reputation generally, but Manchester is pretty high up in the league tables for Pharm.

Also, the cities are TOTALLY different, Manchester is a HUGE diverse city, and Durham a much smaller one.... depends what vibe you're looking for really :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Delphinus
Isn't the course at Durham brand new? So that might be worth considering, if you are the trial year :tongue:

I suppose Durham might have a better national reputation generally, but Manchester is pretty high up in the league tables for Pharm.

Also, the cities are TOTALLY different, Manchester is a HUGE diverse city, and Durham a much smaller one.... depends what vibe you're looking for really :smile:

The course is new for 2013, but they specifically mention work placements on their website, whereas Manchester doesn't :/ which is kinda worrying!

Yeah, I've heard the night life/social life in Durham is not that great, and I obviously want a good Uni experience so I'm edging towards a city Uni :smile:

Reply 6
The course is new for 2013, but they specifically mention work placements on their website, whereas Manchester doesn't :/ which is kinda worrying!

Well to alleviate your worries a little, I know a couple of people on the Manchester pharmacy course, and in 2nd year you will get mandatory placements in a clinic/hospital:smile:
Well Durham is a more prestigious school, which will probably help you later on when looking for employment, but Manchester has a better social life, so depends how much you care about the prestige really.
Manchester is very good for their biomedical research.
Reply 9
Original post by Mathaddict
Well to alleviate your worries a little, I know a couple of people on the Manchester pharmacy course, and in 2nd year you will get mandatory placements in a clinic/hospital:smile:

That does help a lot :smile: this decision is harder than I though it'd be. Durham is trailing pharmacy, so they might be lenient on the grades, so if I drop by one grade they may accept!

Reply 10
Original post by Dannyisnervous
Well Durham is a more prestigious school, which will probably help you later on when looking for employment, but Manchester has a better social life, so depends how much you care about the prestige really.

Durham is an excellent Uni compared to Manchester! But Manchester is a large city, with a good night life!
It's between nightlife/experience or prestige/title :/

Durham is an excellent Uni compared to Manchester! But Manchester is a large city, with a good night life!
It's between nightlife/experience or prestige/title :/

Well listen, personally I would go for the prestige because I believe the night life and the social life is what you make it. Most Durham students go to Newcastle for the night life anyway, so it's up to you whether or not you have fun so. I'd go for the better uni, it's an investment later on in life, and would be a shame to pass up the opportunity
Reply 12
Original post by Dannyisnervous
Well listen, personally I would go for the prestige because I believe the night life and the social life is what you make it. Most Durham students go to Newcastle for the night life anyway, so it's up to you whether or not you have fun so. I'd go for the better uni, it's an investment later on in life, and would be a shame to pass up the opportunity

I 100% agree with you, in the grand scheme of things, the night life won't play an important role!
It's a tough decision, I don't want to end up going to Durham and not enjoy it. I'm a very outgoing confident person that loves to go out, so I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb.

Much appreciate your advice though, crazy that I'm deciding my future in the next few days!

I 100% agree with you, in the grand scheme of things, the night life won't play an important role!
It's a tough decision, I don't want to end up going to Durham and not enjoy it. I'm a very outgoing confident person that loves to go out, so I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb.

Much appreciate your advice though, crazy that I'm deciding my future in the next few days!

Yeah, I had to make the same tough choice a few days ago when I was between UCL and LSE. The moment when you click that UCAS button and send off the declines you'll probably get a tiny panic attack so be sure about your decision before you make it!
Reply 14

Yeah, I've heard the night life/social life in Durham is not that great, and I obviously want a good Uni experience so I'm edging towards a city Uni :smile:

I'm sure Manchester do! You should research things like that more though, by emailing/phoning, rather than assuming something from a probably outdated website! As someone has said above, they do do placements, most unis would for this type of course if they are a decent uni!

I wouldn't prioritise nightlife... i know people at Durham and they seem to be having an amazing time, with all their formals and student socials...Durham itself is small yes but Newcastle is right nextdoor if you are that way inclined :tongue:

So although the Durham course is a risk as it's a trial, the uni is better in the grand scheme of things (e.g employment prospects!) and i'm sure it'd all work out well after your 4 years
Reply 15
I would choose Durham all the way!
A new course and so will be current, better prestige, better job propspects, college life and nightlife.....anything else?
Be careful as Durham is new. AAB wow times have changed I see. I got into pharmacy with BCD in the past.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending