The Student Room Group

Daily Fail sinks to new low.

You thought it was bad when they published an article that led to the death of a transgender teacher.

Now they've decided to use the death of six children to make a point about the welfare state.

Yes, it's ridiculous that Mick Philpott managed to gain that much in Welfare and something needs to be done about the system - which on the £60k a year point is with the new benefits cap - however it is tragic that six children lost their lives maybe that justice has been served should be your headline.

When even the majority of comments on the Daily Mail site are calling your article vile, you should rethink your editorial approach to manslaughter cases.

And to top all of under the headline "Vile Product of Welfare UK" on their front cover is not a picture of the man in question. But a picture of the six children who died in the fire, the six children who were born into this lifestyle rather than their by choice and had it cut short by their own families actions. Not a picture of the man they are attacking. How exactly are those children a "Vile Product of Welfare UK" surely they are victims of a vile man?
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's disgusting and upsetting that anyone could actually be that twisted that they wish to take this tragedy and twist it to fit their own right wing Tory agenda, the headline might as well be "Vile Product of Derby County Supporting" as he was a Derby fan, its just as fallacious an argument as using the welfare system.
I actually fear that many will believe this garbage and actually support the attacks on the poor as a result, one exceptional circumstance used to tarnish the majority.
Did they do the same with Shipman "Vile Product of the NHS" if not they've missed an opportunity to undermine more of the necessary social welfare systems in the UK.

I do hope for a nationwide boycotting of that garbage masquerading as journalism, much like the Sun in Liverpool. Judging by some people views who i personally know there will be a market and plenty of people willing to lap up this disgusting story and use it to justify their own right wing views.
Reply 2
Oh look, more people frothing at the mouth after reading a Daily Mail article. Might I suggest you stop browsing there if it annoys you so much?

Tabloids being controversial, well I never.
Reply 3
Original post by Martynb87
It's disgusting and upsetting that anyone could actually be that twisted that they wish to take this tragedy and twist it to fit their own right wing Tory agenda, the headline might as well be "Vile Product of Derby County Supporting" as he was a Derby fan, its just as fallacious an argument as using the welfare system.
I actually fear that many will believe this garbage and actually support the attacks on the poor as a result, one exceptional circumstance used to tarnish the majority.
Did they do the same with Shipman "Vile Product of the NHS" if not they've missed an opportunity to undermine more of the necessary social welfare systems in the UK.

I do hope for a nationwide boycotting of that garbage masquerading as journalism, much like the Sun in Liverpool. Judging by some people views who i personally know there will be a market and plenty of people willing to lap up this disgusting story and use it to justify their own right wing views.

Please do, then we wont have to listen to your incessant whining.
Reply 4
Unfortunately the daily mail, the sun as all of these papers are a product of allowing free speech.
You can't have it both ways guys, you either allow people to speak their minds or you move To china.
(Disclaimer! That china bit was a joke and does reflect the authors true opinion)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Daily mail is where I get my daily fix of entertainment. Leave it alone.:colondollar:
Reply 6
I believe the article has a valid point to make. Families* like that are the scourge of society, a massive drain on the economy with little or no positive input. However, it is far too soon, and has been handled very heavy-handedly in the wake of a very real tragedy.

*When I say families, I lay no blame at the door of the children. They're the innocent party in this. More the parents, uneducated, waste of space leeches, who breed out of control with zero family planning, spawning huge broods which they cannot support without hand outs.
Original post by The Mad Dog

And to top all of under the headline "Vile Product of Welfare UK" on their front cover is not a picture of the man in question. But a picture of the six children who died in the fire, the six children who were born into this lifestyle rather than their by choice and had it cut short by their own families actions. Not a picture of the man they are attacking. How exactly are those children a "Vile Product of Welfare UK" surely they are victims of a vile man?

Maybe they shouldn't have been conceived in the first place? :rolleyes: :wink:
The Daily Mail supported Hitler and the Nazis. It could not get any lower.
Reply 9
The Daily Mail are completely right in their stance.

Also, the comments disagreeing with it are the worst rated.
Reply 10
Original post by barnetlad
The Daily Mail supported Hitler and the Nazis. It could not get any lower.

What's that got to do with this article?

Also, they only supported the Nazis before their atrocities became apparent. It was 1933 when they published a letter that supported the Black Shirts.
Reply 11
Oh boo ****ing hoo the 'Daily Fail' (by the way really funny joke there mate) made an article that 'offended' you. Grow up.
Reply 12
You thought it was bad when they published an article that led to the death of a transgender teacher.

Now they've decided to use the death of six children to make a point about the welfare state.

Yes, it's ridiculous that Mick Philpott managed to gain that much in Welfare and something needs to be done about the system - which on the £60k a year point is with the new benefits cap - however it is tragic that six children lost their lives maybe that justice has been served should be your headline.

When even the majority of comments on the Daily Mail site are calling your article vile, you should rethink your editorial approach to manslaughter cases.

The mail makes some pair points..

You refute them on anything other than ideological grounds?
Reply 13
Original post by dj1015
The mail makes some pair points...

You refute them on anything other than ideological grounds?

It isn't the points the Daily Mail are making that offends me - it's the use of an individual yet emotive and high profile case to back up a sweeping generalisation of the welfare state and the people who rely on it. There is hundreds of individual cases of people who've been let down by the welfare state when they most needed it, as well as many cases of people who are abusing the system. Yes, we need a responsible debate about welfare reform but using the death of six children and one horrendous man to make their point in this manner is just plain wrong.

I have two words: free speech.

If you don't like it, don't read it. :dunce:
Reply 15
Original post by im so academic

Free Speech works both ways.

If I don't like it, I have the free speech to say I don't like it.

This is what really pisses me off about uber-Libertarian free speech supporters - it's perfectly fine to say anything until you criticise something at which point they tell you "if you don't like it don't read it." Eh, no that isn't how free speech works.
Free Speech works both ways.

If I don't like it, I have the free speech to say I don't like it.

This is what really pisses me off about uber-Libertarian free speech supporters - it's perfectly fine to say anything until you criticise something at which point they tell you "if you don't like it don't read it." Eh, no that isn't how free speech works.

I didn't say you couldn't criticise, but don't expect the Daily Mail to write politically correct articles.
Reply 17
I didn't say you couldn't criticise, but don't expect the Daily Mail to write politically correct articles.

I don't expect them to. I don't really see your point.

Free speech works both ways, and we don't truly have free speech anyway. If you don't like something, you can say you don't like it. Just like the Daily Mail are free to write rubbish that people lap up on a daily basis, but even the commenters on this particular article find the way it was carried out disrespectful.
I don't expect them to. I don't really see your point.

You can complain all you like about the Daily Mail, they're not going to change (nor should they change).

Original post by SpicyStrawberry
Free speech works both ways, and we don't truly have free speech anyway.

Stupid thing to say as nothing is ever true capitalism or true democracy or true freedom. So what if it's not true?

If you don't like something, you can say you don't like it.

Yes I KNOW.

Just like the Daily Mail are free to write rubbish that people lap up on a daily basis, but even the commenters on this particular article find the way it was carried out disrespectful.

It doesn't mean the actual article was in itself disrespectful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending