The Student Room Group

C2 Exam Grading Question

Greetings,

I'm doing C2 revision papers and then checking the results. For example I have the answer x=145.997 for one problem while the marking guide says "Obtain x = 146, or better". Is 145.997 part of "or better"? (Sorry english is not my mother tongue so I'd like to be sure).
Reply 1
Original post by Blackfyre
Greetings,

I'm doing C2 revision papers and then checking the results. For example I have the answer x=145.997 for one problem while the marking guide says "Obtain x = 146, or better". Is 145.997 part of "or better"? (Sorry english is not my mother tongue so I'd like to be sure).

Can you provide the question and mark scheme please?
Greetings,

depends on the question - if the question asks you to round up to 146 and you haven't done so , you will not gain that final mark.

If the question does not ask you to round , then yes the 145.997 will count as " or better " i think - are you on Edexcel?
Reply 3
Greetings,

Yep, 'better' means 'more exact' You'd probably get the marks for writing 1461\dfrac{146}{1}.
However, you should always be safe in exams. On the front page of all maths papers, it should say "Give all non-exact answers to 3 significant figures, unless you are requested to do otherwise." So, unless your answer can be written as a fraction, give it to 3 sig figs. In this case, 146 is perfect.
Hope this helps!
Reply 4
Here's the Marking Gude: http://pastmark.co.uk/getresource.php?m=C2&d=June%202007&t=1&s=1

Check problem 3

Original post by Fas
depends on the question - if the question asks you to round up to 146 and you haven't done so , you will not gain that final mark.

If the question does not ask you to round , then yes the 145.997 will count as " or better " i think - are you on Edexcel?

No, OCR.
(edited 11 years ago)
Greetings,

145.997 is fine but the front page of OCR A Level exams instructs you to round non-exact answers to three significant figures which, in this case, would be 146.

Quick Reply

Latest