The Student Room Group

Worth revising languages?

So I'm doing my spanish GCSE along with others in May/June.

My question is, is there any point to revising it? Not really sure what I can do, we go through loads of practice in class and we've practically done/will be doing all of the past 'papers'.

However, I'm not that good at the subject (compared with my others) . I'm a solid B at Listening/Reading and an A at Controlled Assessments (because I have a good memory, not because I'm good at Spanish).

Any thoughts?

TY

Tom
Reply 1
I did a different language, but prepared by: revising vocab using Post It notes which I stuck all over the house and reading some "natural" texts such as foreign children's books/ letters/ past papers to get used to reading for meaning rather than reading to understand every word. Obviously, you won't get a dictionary in the exam, so my advice is to underline the words you do know to help you understand a text without knowing what every word means. This will allow you to make educated guesses as well. I think the reading/ listening are different to writing/ reading in that you can't just regurgitate a learned speech/ text.

So, to sum up - yes, it is worth revising! You've done well to get those grades in your controlled assessments, but your reading and listening are important too. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 2
Gah, I've got the same dilemma.
I'd say languages are not my forte so I probably won't spend time revising it, even though I know I should. I might as well do well in other subjects that I prefer.
Same!

I don't think I will revise per se for French... :s-smilie:
Reply 4
I feel the same way however my plan is that i have wrote out the vocab and some questions and on the morning before the exam or the afternoon before the morning exam im going to be going through the vocab :smile:

How did you do on your controlled assesments?
What does everyone need in their exams to get a certain grade?

Spoiler

Reply 6
Well Done!!!

We never got told that but I've done quite well in coursework...
Original post by sophia 1
Well Done!!!

We never got told that but I've done quite well in coursework...

You can work it out yourself :smile:

I know my raw marks that's how
Original post by L'Evil Fish
What does everyone need in their exams to get a certain grade?

Spoiler

I need the same... full marks on controlled assessments worth 60%! so should be an easy A*!
Original post by Blake-inator
I need the same... full marks on controlled assessments worth 60%! so should be an easy A*!

That's what I'm hoping! Although she's marking another piece... And I have an oral after...

My minimum raw marks are:
39/40 in both writing and speaking... But they should be 39+40 or 40+40 after... :redface:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
That's what I'm hoping! Although she's marking another piece... And I have an oral after...

My minimum raw marks are:
39/40 in both writing and speaking... But they should be 39+40 or 40+40 after... :redface:

ours were out of 60?!? must be different exam board....
enjoy your oral! :wink:
Original post by Blake-inator
ours were out of 60?!? must be different exam board....
enjoy your oral! :wink:

Yeah, I'm WJEC...

Oh don't worry, I will :naughty:
Reply 12
i got B/Cs in my french CAs but when it came to the mock i got an A without touching a french book or anything. i'm aiming for a B overall and need to get an A in listening + reading so it's up to you.
it depends on your target
Of course, language is one of the things you need to revise, unlike the creative subjects such as art (the drawing bit) or music

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest