The Student Room Group

Help

I feel empty after my End Of Year Exam results, I had revised 3 subjects for 2 weeks straight all for 40 mins, I thought I had revised a-lot and understood everything. However, when it came to results day most of my grades were 6s and 5s. I always try so hard every year revising, however I never reach my target 8s or 7s. I dont understand why. Its as if im cursed, no matter how hard I try I never make it and now with GCSE next year it will all repeat again, I will just get 6s and 7s even though I spend most of my life in my room revising, isolated from family to try my hardest for them, yet i never achieve anything. I dont know what to do, if this continues I will live a life full of despair.
Original post by ekiraiai
I feel empty after my End Of Year Exam results, I had revised 3 subjects for 2 weeks straight all for 40 mins, I thought I had revised a-lot and understood everything. However, when it came to results day most of my grades were 6s and 5s. I always try so hard every year revising, however I never reach my target 8s or 7s. I dont understand why. Its as if im cursed, no matter how hard I try I never make it and now with GCSE next year it will all repeat again, I will just get 6s and 7s even though I spend most of my life in my room revising, isolated from family to try my hardest for them, yet i never achieve anything. I dont know what to do, if this continues I will live a life full of despair.

There’s always time to turn things around, you have a whole year ahead of you. How are you revising currently? If you spend a lot of time studying but aren’t making progress it’s likely that there are better methods for you.
Original post by MissMathematix
There’s always time to turn things around, you have a whole year ahead of you. How are you revising currently? If you spend a lot of time studying but aren’t making progress it’s likely that there are better methods for you.

I usually spend my time reading notes and then trying some past papers to answer the questions, when im stuck I look stuff up. I try to learn everything of a specification of what is needed to learn. I also usually take some notes.
Original post by ekiraiai

Hi, I understand how you feel as I've gone through a lot of what you said before, here are some tips I have:
- For science, as you're using the specification already that's really good, but to take it up a notch, it's also worth revising required practicals too as they nearly always come up in the exam + likewise equations are important too to know as they can gain you some easy marks in the exam
- I highly recommend using pmt and mme revise (for mme revise science practice questions, some of them actually came up in my real tests so it's worth a look)
- Identify what you need to work on, use your end of year exam papers, or end of topic test papers to identify this and understand what sub-topics or particular things (like 6 markers for example) you need to improve in
- For essay based subjects, like english, rs and history, it can be difficult to know exactly what examiners expect from you, so things like context (what was happening during the time), structure + language techniques (this is for english texts), key quotes (for english and rs) and key events + people involved, including effects and causes (for history) are helpful to know

Lastly, aside from all that, it's important to look after yourself, not just physically but also mentally. It can get really challenging and quite exasperating to strive for academic success, but remember that it's ok to take a break once in a while and that all of this hard work and effort you put in, although it may not give you the grades you want, gives you skills to overcome challenges you will face in your life.

I hope that helps and motivates you, good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest