The Student Room Group

Revision Techniques

Hi, I'm currently studying for my A2s and I've got 7 exams in May/June aiming for ABB overall. I'm studying Economics, Business and Media

I'm interested in knowing any revision techniques you use as every time I start revising within 15-20 minutes I feel very tired and start drifting off (all I do is read out of revision textbooks)

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks, Jordan

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by Jordan_Howell1
Hi, I'm currently studying for my A2s and I've got 7 exams in May/June aiming for ABB overall. I'm studying Economics, Business and Media

I'm interested in knowing any revision techniques you use as every time I start revising within 15-20 minutes I feel very tired and start drifting off (all I do is read out of revision textbooks)

Thanks, Jordan

Posted from TSR Mobile

I usually tend to use past papers to help me revise. I do a past paper and mark it (if I have the answers) and work on the areas I didn't do well, then I do another past paper and repeat the process. Past papers probably take awhile (try to do it in timed conditions) so if you are getting tired in 15-20 mins try finding a way to get through it (coffee or a refreshing shower?).

Another thing I do is make flash cards of some areas of the course to make sure I know the basics so I find it helps :smile: flash cards are a good thing to do in 15-20 mins once you have made them.

Good luck with your exams and revision :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Don't listen to the immature comments on media everyone has their own strengths and things they did fun :smile: try doing mind maps / spider diagrams for different topics, although it can take time you learn a lot of it when writing it down, i use loadsa colours in my so i don't get bored when reading it again, reading notes outload also helps me concentrate more. then try past papers so you know where to improve good luck :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zbaxter1
I usually tend to use past papers to help me revise. I do a past paper and mark it (if I have the answers) and work on the areas I didn't do well, then I do another past paper and repeat the process. Past papers probably take awhile (try to do it in timed conditions) so if you are getting tired in 15-20 mins try finding a way to get through it (coffee or a refreshing shower?).

Another thing I do is make flash cards of some areas of the course to make sure I know the basics so I find it helps :smile: flash cards are a good thing to do in 15-20 mins once you have made them.

Good luck with your exams and revision :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your reply! I hadn't thought about using flash cards before but I'll definitely try it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kathrync
Don't listen to the immature comments on media everyone has their own strengths and things they did fun :smile: try doing mind maps / spider diagrams for different topics, although it can take time you learn a lot of it when writing it down, i use loadsa colours in my so i don't get bored when reading it again, reading notes outload also helps me concentrate more. then try past papers so you know where to improve good luck :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! :smile: Im definitely going to try mind maps and spider diagrams, seems like a good way of remembering certain information. I had heard that using colour can make you remember things quicker and as you say it should make it more interesting when reading it back! Thanks for your reply!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
We had a massive lecture at my school about revision techniques. One teacher said how if you make a mind map and stick it at eye level in an area you look at often you should be able to look up in your exam and imagine it in front of you haha.
Don't know if it actually works but you never know!
Original post by mcdermie
We had a massive lecture at my school about revision techniques. One teacher said how if you make a mind map and stick it at eye level in an area you look at often you should be able to look up in your exam and imagine it in front of you haha.
Don't know if it actually works but you never know!

Sounds like an interesting technique, but I'll give anything ago. Thanks!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Jordan_Howell1

I'm interested in knowing any revision techniques you use as every time I start revising within 15-20 minutes I feel very tired and start drifting off (all I do is read out of revision textbooks).

Hello Jordan,

My advice is given here. If you've got any other questions then just quote me for a response and ask.

All the best.

Darren
Reply 8
You could try and record yourself saying key points and listen to them throughout the day, I've heard that's meant to really help

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jordan_Howell1

Thanks, Jordan

Here is your problem.

'just reading' is, without a doubt, the worst way to revise there is.

There is a list of study skills here, and successful revision is really simple: you have to engage with the information. When you read over it, you're not really processing it, you're not doing anything active with the information. By active, I mean something that forces the information to run through your mind - thinking about it, summarising it (of which, making mind maps is a technique, but I prefer writing a summary as opposed to a mind map), linking it to other things, ask "why?", don't copy out of the textbook, read it, process it, then write it down in summary without looking at the textbook (it forces you to remember and utilise your memory, whereas copying out gives you the illusion that you know or understand it, when in actuality you don't).

There's a great video from Samford University here that runs through studying.

Personally, how I study is

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending