The Student Room Group

Patenting food. Monstanto vs. Mother Earth.

Reply 1
Thanks for the link. I've read a little about Monsanto before, they genuinely are disgusting but not surprising under capitalism.
Reply 2
Original post by Slushxx
Thanks for the link. I've read a little about Monsanto before, they genuinely are disgusting but not surprising under capitalism.

I'd never heard of them before to tell the truth. It would be pretty awful for a lot of people if they did manage to get what they're trying to do through.
Reply 3
Original post by ANARCHY__
I'd never heard of them before to tell the truth. It would be pretty awful for a lot of people if they did manage to get what they're trying to do through.

I think they have all ready impacted some. Apparently they sell engineered seeds to farmers that can only used for one season as the seeds that are produced from the plant are sterile resulting in farmers having to constantly repurchase from Monsanto.
Reply 4
Original post by Slushxx
I think they have all ready impacted some. Apparently they sell engineered seeds to farmers that can only used for one season as the seeds that are produced from the plant are sterile resulting in farmers having to constantly repurchase from Monsanto.

I'm not completely sure on the issue but do they have to buy from Monsanto because the strains and varieties are patented or something like that?
Reply 5
I'm not completely sure on the issue but do they have to buy from Monsanto because the strains and varieties are patented or something like that?

I just googled them which I probably should have done earlier instead of relying on memory. What they have actually done is sell licenses of their patented seeds for only a year. There have been cases where they have bought lawsuits against farmers who have used seeds from the initial crop which is pretty messed up by any standard.
Reply 6
Original post by Slushxx
I just googled them which I probably should have done earlier instead of relying on memory. What they have actually done is sell licenses of their patented seeds for only a year. There have been cases where they have bought lawsuits against farmers who have used seeds from the initial crop which is pretty messed up by any standard.

Damn. Hope more people take notice of this thread. It'd be crazy if something like this span out of control and we essentially had incorporated food.
Reply 7
That's not capitalism. That's a company trying to monopolise system - where is the competition in that?

This isn't capitalism at work, this is bad capitalism at work
Reply 8
Original post by MacDaddi
That's not capitalism. That's a company trying to monopolise system - where is the competition in that?

This isn't capitalism at work, this is bad capitalism at work

I agree. True capitalism - free market and all - doesn't look like this. It is a shame this sort of thing is allowed to carry on. I wonder if anyone on this forum will speak to the contrary.
Reply 9
I agree. True capitalism - free market and all - doesn't look like this. It is a shame this sort of thing is allowed to carry on. I wonder if anyone on this forum will speak to the contrary.

Exactly, patents while necessary to protect ideas, are being used to abuse them
Original post by Slushxx

A company that recieves legislative protection and massive subsidies from governments the world over is anything but capitalist.

Corporatism =/= Capitalism.

But yes, Monsanto is a highly disturbing organisation. Their actions pose a great threat to many heirloom and heritage seed varieties. Infact current EU seed legislation, that has blatantly been designed for the sole benefit of Monsanto and big agribusiness, has already caused a number of old, rare fruit and vegetable varieties to go exinct.

I would urge anybody with an interest in gardening or growing your own food to start stockpiling seeds (especially rare or unusual varieties and strains), buy from small, independent producers. Grow, eat well, harvest the seeds, give some away to friends, family, neighbours. Help keep food diversity alive and well.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
Funny how years ago anyone who mentioned Monsanto or their activities were labelled "tin foil hat conspiracy theorists", and now we're expected to pay attention to it.
Reply 12
I think the link at the top has passed 1,500,000 signatures. I am just surprised such a company is allowed to exist. I hadn't heard of them until this most recent fiasco.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending