The Student Room Group

Higher Modern Studies 2012-13: Discussion and Help Thread

Hi!

Could anyone help me with structuring/planning an essay on voting systems. The question is: There is no perfect voting system. Discuss
The essay has to include FPTP, AMS, STV & AV.

Thanks for any help! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ria3010
Hi!

Could anyone help me with structuring/planning an essay on voting systems. The question is: There is no perfect voting system. Discuss
The essay has to include FPTP, AMS, STV & AV.

Thanks for any help! :smile:

What I would do for this would be to take each voting system and give it a paragraph. I would then in each paragraph, give a benefit for the system and a disadvantage for each system.

This should give you balance.

REMEMBER TO EXPLAIN YOUR POINT AND USE EXAMPLES, if you don't do this, you won't score very highly.

Also, it's important to link back to the question.
Original post by Officegirl4
What I would do for this would be to take each voting system and give it a paragraph. I would then in each paragraph, give a benefit for the system and a disadvantage for each system.

This should give you balance.

REMEMBER TO EXPLAIN YOUR POINT AND USE EXAMPLES, if you don't do this, you won't score very highly.

Also, it's important to link back to the question.

I agree with this ^ I sat higher last year and this is def the easiest way to make sure you include all the necessary info.

Remember though, although you have to explain each point make sure you don't get carried away on one point or whatever as in the timed situation you may not realise how fast time goes and run out of time for your other points.

Also make sure you put in a conclussion even something as simple as "although each voting system has its strengths they too have their own weaknesses. This is why there is no perfect voting system". If you don't you can either automatically fail or lose a large chunk of marks !(I can't remember exactly which it is but I remember getting it reinforced every lesson how important a conclusion is)
Hope this helps x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Thanks for the information, it really helped me! :smile:
No problem! feel free to message me if you need any other help :smile: not the best memory but I got an A so some of it must have sunk in haha x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ria3010
Thanks for the information, it really helped me! :smile:

if you need anything else let me know, I'm doing it this year so I might be able to help
Reply 6
hey im sitting higher modies this year and im having a really tough time remembering examples and back ground knowledge i was wondering if anyone had any tips :/
I always made 'study board' kinda things, take a large piece of card or paper and write everything on it using colour coding. The colours act as triggers in most peoples minds. Might be worth trying :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
If anyone needs any notes, give me a shout. Got an A last year. :biggrin: happy to help anyone
Reply 9
[INDENT]My teacher gave us her predictions:

Paper 1

Decision Making in Central Government:
-Pressure groups - are they good for democracy? (or something along those lines to do with democracy)
-Backbench MPs

Electoral Systems, Voting & Political Attitudes:
-Social class (this hasn't come up since 2008 when the question was Assess the influence of social class on voting behaviour)
-Electoral Systems (Alt vote, FPTP, STV, AMS)

Health & Wealth:
-Government policies for wealth inequalities (eg, Universal Credit)
-Gender & race inequalities
-What are governent policies to improve health

South Africa:
-BEE (dear god i hope it isn't that)
-Health
-Differences between racial groups (and provinces)

Paper 2:
-It could be to do with the recession and cuts in welfare

These are just suggestions from my teacher who has told us to prioritise them!

Does anybody else have any predictions? I'm trying to be as prepared as possible, i need at least a B to get into college! [/INDENT]
Reply 10
What do yous think will be asked this year in Higher Modern studies?
Reply 11
What are your predictions for the Higher Modern Studies exam this year?
I think there might be a question on voting systems rather than voting behaviour What about parliament and social issues?
Reply 12
My / my teacher's predictions...

Electoral Systems, Voting & Political Attitudes:
Social Class
OR Voting Systems - possibly just PR vs FPTP

Health and Wealth:
Absolutely no idea... hopefully the effect of wealth on health!

USA:
Ethnic Minorities and political progress
OR social and economic inequalities (less likely)

Global Security:
Effectiveness of international responses to global security (not too sure)
Possibly the UN.

I know they're a bit rough! Does anyone else do the USA or Global Security?

My personal Predictions

Study Theme 1D: Definitely Electoral Systems and NOT Voting Behavior.
Study Theme 2: NOT Gender and Ethnic Inequalities, it came up last year, maybe Age inequalities?
Study Theme 3A: Social and Economic Inequalities
Reply 14
Does anybody have any predictions for the devolved decision making in Scotland Paper 1? thanks :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Hi, my teacher said there is a very good chance that electoral systems will come up and not voting behaviour. She also said that lifestyle stands a good chance in coming up for the social issues section. The USA part if you are doing this part, will possibly be on the 2012 presidential election.

Our modern studies teacher is good friends with the person who right the exams, so hopefully she is telling us what actually is coming up.
Reply 16
Btw, i was looking around on the internet and found the SQA have some examples of essays and the marks they got. Take a look if you're struggling! Here's one on pressure groups and democracy:
http://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/NQModStudiesPaper1StudyTheme1B-Exemplar5.pdf
Reply 17
Original post by DavidFlynn96
Hi, my teacher said there is a very good chance that electoral systems will come up and not voting behaviour. She also said that lifestyle stands a good chance in coming up for the social issues section. The USA part if you are doing this part, will possibly be on the 2012 presidential election.

Our modern studies teacher is good friends with the person who right the exams, so hopefully she is telling us what actually is coming up.

Thanks so much! but see for social issues, does lifestyle mean like poverty being a main factor in health etc?
Reply 18
Original post by DavidFlynn96

What kind of question would that relate to? What would that be about, ethnic minorities vote on elections?
Also do you have any idea on the devolved scotland topic question.
lastly do you have any ideas what the DME could be about :smile: thanks! sorry for all the questions hehe.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by xscottishx
Thanks so much! but see for social issues, does lifestyle mean like poverty being a main factor in health etc?

Im guessing that would be lifestyle being a factor affecting health such as smoking, drinking, diet, exercise. etc

Sorry if im wrong :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending