The Student Room Group

which city is the safest (leeds, bristol, manchester, newcastle, sheffield)

Hello people! :smile:
I'm an international student looking to study in the UK. I've gotten unconditional offers from the University of Sheffield, University of Manchester and Newcastle University. I got conditional offers from University of Bristol and University of Leeds.

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of studying in each university? I'm more interested in whether the city and the areas are SAFE for an international student. (How is the crime rate? Will I get mugged/ raped/ stabbed whatever if I'm walking on the streets alone at night? How kind is the city to international students? Is there discrimination? I'm Chinese by the way.)

I'm really confused, and it will be great if someone can help me with your opinions.

Thanks you guys!
Reply 1
Original post by AvatarKorra
Hello people! :smile:
I'm an international student looking to study in the UK. I've gotten unconditional offers from the University of Sheffield, University of Manchester and Newcastle University. I got conditional offers from University of Bristol and University of Leeds.

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of studying in each university? I'm more interested in whether the city and the areas are SAFE for an international student. (How is the crime rate? Will I get mugged/ raped/ stabbed whatever if I'm walking on the streets alone at night? How kind is the city to international students? Is there discrimination? I'm Chinese by the way.)

I'm really confused, and it will be great if someone can help me with your opinions.

Thanks you guys!

Congrats on the offers.

I cannot compare the cities mentioned, but can tell you (based on my stay for 2 years) that Bristol is very safe and international students are totally at ease. It is a small city (geographically speaking), very beautiful, easy to commute, and at the same time offers all the comforts of a large city (hotels. malls, entertainment, etc)
There are a lot of students of Chinese ethnicity here, mainly from Singapore and Malaysia. BTW, I am from India.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by abha412
Congrats on the offers.

I cannot compare the cities mentioned, but can tell you (based on my stay for 2 years) that Bristol is very safe and international students are totally at ease. It is a small city (geographically speaking), very beautiful, easy to commute, and at the same time offers all the comforts of a large city (hotels. malls, entertainment, etc)
There are a lot of students of Chinese ethnicity here, mainly from Singapore and Malaysia. BTW, I am from India.

Thanks for the reply abha. :smile: Bristol is actually one of my top choices but the conditon they gave me is kinda hard to meet so keeping my fingers crossed. :smile:)
Reply 3
http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/sheffield-officially-safest-large-city-in-uk-figures-reveal-1-5578578

That article is from today, so it's as up to date as you can get really :tongue: I have an offer from the University of Sheffield, so will hopefully be studying there next year. When I visited, it seemed like a nice, leafy and safe place, I can definitely see myself feeling comfortable there.

The student village at Manchester on the other hand, didn't feel nearly as safe, and neither did Manchester as a city (the actual uni campus was fine though). But that's just judging from a few hours at an open day. I wouldn't reject it purely on that basis though, the reason I declined my Manchester offer was more to do with the course than anything else. I can't imagine you'd get any trouble living there. Can't comment on any of the other cities though, having never been :tongue:
Reply 4
Original post by jordanW241
http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/sheffield-officially-safest-large-city-in-uk-figures-reveal-1-5578578

That article is from today, so it's as up to date as you can get really :tongue: I have an offer from the University of Sheffield, so will hopefully be studying there next year. When I visited, it seemed like a nice, leafy and safe place, I can definitely see myself feeling comfortable there.

The student village at Manchester on the other hand, didn't feel nearly as safe, and neither did Manchester as a city (the actual uni campus was fine though). But that's just judging from a few hours at an open day. I wouldn't reject it purely on that basis though, the reason I declined my Manchester offer was more to do with the course than anything else. I can't imagine you'd get any trouble living there. Can't comment on any of the other cities though, having never been :tongue:

Thanks Jordan! Was the actual uni campus located in the city center of Manchester or was it farther away? :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by AvatarKorra
Thanks Jordan! Was the actual uni campus located in the city center of Manchester or was it farther away? :smile:

No problem :smile:

The uni campus is right on the edge of the city centre, but most of the accommodation is a bit further out. It took me half an hour or so to walk there from the main campus, it's just straight down the same road. Took 5/10 mins on the bus back (it's the busiest bus route in Europe apparently, so no shortage of buses :tongue:)

This map should help: http://goo.gl/maps/lxiZu
That's the main campus, follow the road south until you see 'Fallowfield Campus', that's the student village :smile:
I've not been a student in the cities mentioned, but I've lived in Sheffield, spent a fair bit of time in both Manchester and Bristol and a little bit of time in Nottingham. I find Sheffield has the most laid back vibe of them all. My son is actually going to be studying at Sheffied Hallam from 2017 and I feel very relaxed about it. Manchester has more of a big city feel (like a small London), but has a terrible reputation for crime historically. When I lived in the north in the 1990's it was nicknamed 'Gunchester'. Bristol is a lovely city but still feels 'edgier' to me than Sheffield ever did. Nottingham feels like a big small town rather than a city and seems pretty rough at night from the few times I went out with friends there. Hope this helps.
Original post by formerfalstudent
I've not been a student in the cities mentioned, but I've lived in Sheffield, spent a fair bit of time in both Manchester and Bristol and a little bit of time in Nottingham. I find Sheffield has the most laid back vibe of them all. My son is actually going to be studying at Sheffied Hallam from 2017 and I feel very relaxed about it. Manchester has more of a big city feel (like a small London), but has a terrible reputation for crime historically. When I lived in the north in the 1990's it was nicknamed 'Gunchester'. Bristol is a lovely city but still feels 'edgier' to me than Sheffield ever did. Nottingham feels like a big small town rather than a city and seems pretty rough at night from the few times I went out with friends there. Hope this helps.

Hey, great to hear your son is studying with us this September. Did you come for an open day? What do you think about the city?

Laura
(Former Hallam student)

Quick Reply

Latest