The Student Room Group

AQA Geography Unit 1 May 14th 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by homefind
Well I would talk about all of that but then link it back to the cross profile, for example, in the upper course of river, higher level above sea level, therefore more gravitational potential energy, so rates of vertical erosion are higher than lateral rates, therefore channel will be narrow etc... As you go to the middle course, river effected less by gravity so there is less GPE and so lateral rates of erosion are more dominant than vertical, therefore channel is wider etc...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Perfecto :biggrin:
Reply 121

Whats the difference between the meander and meander belt?
Reply 123
Original post by Blueray2
Whats the difference between the meander and meander belt?

Well meander is the natural bend in a river

Meander belt is a phrase I haven't heard of :s is it a question in an exam?

Apparently it's the total width across which the river meanders

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Well meander is the natural bend in a river

Meander belt is a phrase I haven't heard of :s is it a question in an exam?

Apparently it's the total width across which the river meanders

Posted from TSR Mobile

yuep its in the markscheme when u describe a meander :biggrin:
Reply 125
yuep its in the markscheme when u describe a meander :biggrin:

damn! thanks for pointing that out :biggrin: planning to spend tomorrow continuing revision of the rivers/coats topics so I shall make sure I know that by the end of tomorrow :smile:

Is there any mention on what it means?

Posted from TSR Mobile
damn! thanks for pointing that out :biggrin: planning to spend tomorrow continuing revision of the rivers/coats topics so I shall make sure I know that by the end of tomorrow :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

nope, i think it just means the whole meander tbh.
and np :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its the june 2010 paper, and 7 marks look at the marksshceme form an answer and tell me what you wrote tomorrow please :smile: i need to do other subject revision :lol: Can't let it lagg behind anymore :frown:
Original post by Natalie21
Long profile is the profile from source to mouth.

Cross profile is like if you went to one part of the river and cut a slice and you looked at the banks and the curvature of the river etc.

Long profile shows how the gradient/height above sea level changes over the course of the river

Cross profile shows the characteristics of the valley/river channel over the rivers course (for example, upper course = narrow v shaped valley etc....

I think that's right :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can you two help?
What are eddie currents? Is it turbulent flow formed from water going over more frictional stuff like rocks?

I googled it came up with random physics coils etc :s-smilie:
Reply 129
Its the june 2010 paper, and 7 marks look at the marksshceme form an answer and tell me what you wrote tomorrow please :smile: i need to do other subject revision :lol: Can't let it lagg behind anymore :frown:

haha I'll also be doing bio/chem revision tomorrow as well woooooooooooop

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can you two help?
What are eddie currents? Is it turbulent flow formed from water going over more frictional stuff like rocks?

Well I'm not one of the people you asked but I'm doing this section in the exam too! As far as I know Eddy currents are turbulent flow, yeah :smile: They're like circular water currents... I think!
Reply 131
Can you two help?

Ye turbulent flow is caused due to friction, hence in upper course when there is a lot of friction you get a lot of turbulence.

Eddie Currents - am I right in thinking its just another name for helicoidal flow?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 132

wait the 7 marker on jun 10 isn't to do with meanders?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by OllieWolly
Well I'm not one of the people you asked but I'm doing this section in the exam too! As far as I know Eddy currents are turbulent flow, yeah :smile: They're like circular water currents... I think!

Hmm seems legit, anyone want to add to that :biggrin: I think we're right! :smile:

Ye turbulent flow is caused due to friction, hence in upper course when there is a lot of friction you get a lot of turbulence.

Eddie Currents - am I right in thinking its just another name for helicoidal flow?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just thinking that in bold right now sherlock :wink:

Ok one more question
Explain one way in which people can cause flooding ive got urbanisation etc etc, buttttttttt

"Building bridges may constrict the flow, encouraging the build-up of water and flooding. "

I thought if you build a bridge it goes over the water so it doesn't affect it??? Explain please :smile:
wait the 7 marker on jun 10 isn't to do with meanders?

Posted from TSR Mobile

nope it is do with cross proifle of rier downstream :smile:

ANd one more question try out june 2011 question 1a ii)

Explain the formation of landforms show in in figure 1 :colone:

It says in the MS

"Level 2 (Clear) 5-7 marks
Seeks to explain the sequence of the formation of the landforms waterfall and
gorge.
There is some reference to both landforms, although one may be dealt with in
greater detail. There will be greater reference to gorge through the level.
Sequence is clear and there is reference to specific processes, such as
abrasion.
Appropriate geographical terminology is used."

What does that even mean do I have to keep on quoting gorge each time?
Why?????

I thought a gorge was just A deep narrow passage with steep rocky sides; a ravine.

Confused :s-smilie:
Original post by Natalie21
15 markers from where?? I didn't do any practices before the real exam! Sorry!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can you help answer our questions on page 7 of this thread please :smile: Thanks!
Reply 136
Hmm seems legit, anyone want to add to that :biggrin: I think we're right! :smile:

Just thinking that in bold right now sherlock :wink:

Ok one more question
Explain one way in which people can cause flooding ive got urbanisation etc etc, buttttttttt

"Building bridges may constrict the flow, encouraging the build-up of water and flooding. "

I thought if you build a bridge it goes over the water so it doesn't affect it??? Explain please :smile:

Okay well you have urbanisation, deforestation, farming (affecting soils etc..)

Ye that's a hard one to get around, but I think it's trying to get you to think of what would happen during a flood, so I know for example, in Boscastle during the flooding the bridge restricted the huge discharge of the river causing debris like cars and rocks to get caught up behind the bridge, leading to the water breaching the banks and going elsewhere (severely flooding the village)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 137
nope it is do with cross proifle of rier downstream :smile:

ANd one more question try out june 2011 question 1a ii)

Explain the formation of landforms show in in figure 1 :colone:

It says in the MS

"Level 2 (Clear) 5-7 marks
Seeks to explain the sequence of the formation of the landforms waterfall and
gorge.
There is some reference to both landforms, although one may be dealt with in
greater detail. There will be greater reference to gorge through the level.
Sequence is clear and there is reference to specific processes, such as
abrasion.
Appropriate geographical terminology is used."

What does that even mean do I have to keep on quoting gorge each time?
Why?????

I thought a gorge was just A deep narrow passage with steep rocky sides; a ravine.

Confused :s-smilie:

That's what a gorge is yes, but it also shows how far the waterfall has retreated, not too sure why you would be referring to the gorge more than the waterfall though :s-smilie: I would be referring to waterfall more probably. Unless the 'referring' part is to do with the picture I.e describing some characteristics of the gorge shown in the picture, maybe?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 138
Original post by anwarpwnsall
I guess I'm the Only one doing rivers, coasts, population and energy:') but good luck to everyone!:smile:

ooh im doing the same:smile:
have'nt started revision yet......terrified :confused::confused:
Reply 139
Original post by notsure
ooh im doing the same:smile:
have'nt started revision yet......terrified :confused::confused:

I'm doing these as well, I started revision last week

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending