The Student Room Group

How do you not procrastinate?

How is possible to not procrastinate? What are your secrets?
Reply 1
Not procrastinating is impossible unless you're gifted. I'm not joking.
Cut off your Internet
Reply 3
Just stop procrastinating...
Reply 4
Motivational YouTube videos, it's the only thing that works for me :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by mathsymathsy
Cut off your Internet

As I said, impossible. Lol.
Reply 6
Original post by mathsymathsy
Cut off your Internet

It works! Then i got told off for cutting everyone else from the Internet. So i was straight back to procrastinating.
Reply 7
Don't make threads on TSR asking how to stop procrastinating and just do your work! :P
Says the girl whos procrastinating right now..
Im really finding it hard, I got up early and was determined to get the conclusion to my dissertation finished today and I have done nothing, the times just disappeared.
Only use the computer if you really have to.

Give your phone/iPod/laptop/etc. to someone like your parents, tell them what you're trying to achieve, and that they should only let you have your things back when you can show solid proof that you've completed your work.

Find somewhere quiet; many people claim to work better with music, but on the whole, it tends to be a distracting factor (I read a study on this the other day - not sure where it was, so I can't provide a link).

Clear your desk of everything except the things you actually need to complete the work.
If you procrastinate you will fail your exams. If you fail your exams you won't get into university. If you don't get into university you may not get your dream job. If you don't get your dream job you will suffer from depression. If you suffer from depression you will cry. Sad crying shortens your life expectancy. Shortening your life expectancy means dying young.
By not posting this thread :biggrin:
Reply 12
Only care about your exams. I'm serious. I used to procrastinate a lot. I have tons of TV shows/ movies I still want to watch, books I want to read, websites I want to visit... I'd also like to take walks now that's it's finally a bit sunny.
I don't. I'll watch TV for two hours at night a couple of days per week if I've studied really hard.

Let's put it like this: my parents have paid for my revision books, my teachers believe in me, I will have to retake the exam if I fail, and I'll hurt people I care about.

... Not good. I actually *care* about what I'm studying and I really want to understand the concepts I'm having trouble with.
Thing is, you know the work has to be done at some point. Might as well get it over with now then kick back later. Beats having it hanging over your head for ages!
Reply 14
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/31289/selfcontrol

block any website for up to 24 hours, no way round it.
(I'm sure there's an equivalent for PC)
Reply 15
But procrastination is good for you (probably)!

Seriously though, it helps if you "Stop thinking and start doing". Don't try to come up with clever strategies; just start working. See that book over there that you really want to start revising from? Shut up and pick up that damn book.

Motivational videos might help too, and imagining all you can gain through persistence and dedication can't hurt.

Seeing revision in terms of 'tasks to accomplish by today' rather than '3 hours of revision today' may help.

Locking yourself in a study space with no distractions available is always a good idea.

If you now think, "That's a lot to think about", you're doing it wrong. Start working NOW.
Reply 16
I don't see how pulling the internet out works for anyone. I just plug it back in.

Rational explanations of what the consequences of failing are don't work either.
Reply 17
Original post by GoodDay
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/31289/selfcontrol

block any website for up to 24 hours, no way round it.
(I'm sure there's an equivalent for PC)

I have been looking for this forever to tackle my youtube addiction, unfortunately this app is only for Mac users and I don't have a Mac. Thanks anyway. :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending