The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Chances of getting into Imperial or Manchester for THEORETICAL PHYSICS?

I have a few questions about studying Physics at university, and they may seem completely ignorant and stupid but let me first assure you i am very interested in physics, just not sure about whether i could manage it at university.

GCSE's: AAAAAABBBC
AS: AAAB
A2: A*AA

Firstly, as Physics was always just an interest, i stupidly never took the A level, i am planning to take a year out and studying the whole a level in this time. I should hopefully have A*AA/AAA in my alevels: Maths, Chem and Economics by then.

I was wondering, if i could let a university, I.E imperial or manchester know that i am studying for the A Level, would they still consider me? Or would they just think why isn't he applying already with the A Level?

Also, in general terms, as someone who is of average intelligence but studies very hard to get A grades, would i find Physics too difficult?
Reply 1
bump
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by physicso
I have a few questions about studying Physics at university, and they may seem completely ignorant and stupid but let me first assure you i am very interested in physics, just not sure about whether i could manage it at university.

Firstly, as Physics was always just an interest, i stupidly never took the A level, i am planning to take a year out and studying the whole a level in this time. I should hopefully have A*AA/AAA in my alevels: Maths, Chem and Economics by then.

I was wondering, if i could let a university, I.E imperial or manchester know that i am studying for the A Level, would they still consider me? Or would they just think why isn't he applying already with the A Level?

Also, in general terms, as someone who is of average intelligence but studies very hard to get A grades, would i find Physics too difficult?

1. You definitely will need to have completed the A level Physics course before you start uni. However, they probably won't mind so much if you do it all in one year (i.e. during your A2 year) or during your gap year (in which case you would probably have to apply during your gap year rather than during your A2 year). You might be interested in doing Further Maths as well if you do take a gap year as you'll have the time.
2. Physics is fairly challenging if you learn just by memorising facts. If you learn by understanding what is going on and have good maths skills, then physics is actually very easy :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by dragonkeeper999
1. You definitely will need to have completed the A level Physics course before you start uni. However, they probably won't mind so much if you do it all in one year (i.e. during your A2 year) or during your gap year (in which case you would probably have to apply during your gap year rather than during your A2 year). You might be interested in doing Further Maths as well if you do take a gap year as you'll have the time.
2. Physics is fairly challenging if you learn just by memorising facts. If you learn by understanding what is going on and have good maths skills, then physics is actually very easy :smile:

Cool, yeah im looking into doing FP1, M2 and FP2 for AS FM if thats possible, and i definatley will be reading around topics so thats not a problem :smile:

Don't suppose you ccould gauge my chances at a good university such as Manchester?
Reply 4
bump
Cool, yeah im looking into doing FP1, M2 and FP2 for AS FM if thats possible, and i definatley will be reading around topics so thats not a problem :smile:

Don't suppose you ccould gauge my chances at a good university such as Manchester?

You have a good chance at Manchester, if they are okay with the risk of you not having physics yet.

Imperial are very mark-snobby (they told me I shouldn't bother applying because I got one mark below an A in one maths module, though this was for maths). They might look at your module marks. You would also have a better chance with things like UKMT maths challenges / physics olympiads as well. HOWEVER, your grades are very good, and there is no reason for them to suspect you will get any less than an A in physics. It will be a risk to them though, not knowing your physics AS marks.

tl;dr: Contact the admissions teams to check about not having physics a-level, but the subjects you have done are hard and your marks are fantastic, so if they are willing to take the risk I'd say you have a chance :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Octohedral
You have a good chance at Manchester, if they are okay with the risk of you not having physics yet.

Imperial are very mark-snobby (they told me I shouldn't bother applying because I got one mark below an A in one maths module, though this was for maths). They might look at your module marks. You would also have a better chance with things like UKMT maths challenges / physics olympiads as well. HOWEVER, your grades are very good, and there is no reason for them to suspect you will get any less than an A in physics. It will be a risk to them though, not knowing your physics AS marks.

tl;dr: Contact the admissions teams to check about not having physics a-level, but the subjects you have done are hard and your marks are fantastic, so if they are willing to take the risk I'd say you have a chance :smile:

Fantastic thanks for you're help, i'm not sure i'll bother with Imperial anyway, i've heard a lot of bad things about the quality of teaching.

I'll ring them up tomorrow, are you studying physics?

I think Further Maths is required for Theoretical Physics at Imperial, but I'd suggest you take anyway as you would be massively disadvantaged. You will also need an A* in Maths if you are to apply to Imperial (it's their offer). Correct me if I'm wrong, but Manchester ask for A*A*A for Theoretical Physics. Try to do very well in your A2 (2 A* or more including Maths) and you'd stand a good chance. If you're truly passionate about Physics than you shouldn't find it too difficult, I'd suggest making sure that it really is what you want to do before you apply though.

I would probably apply with the A-Levels in Physics and Further Maths first. Places are quite competitive, and to be honest I doubt they will consider someone who says they will do the A-Levels required in future when most applicants will already have them.

All in all, make sure you get an A* in Maths and possibly Further Maths as those are the minimum requirements.
Reply 8
Original post by Serpentine111
I think Further Maths is required for Theoretical Physics at Imperial, but I'd suggest you take anyway as you would be massively disadvantaged. You will also need an A* in Maths if you are to apply to Imperial (it's their offer). Correct me if I'm wrong, but Manchester ask for A*A*A for Theoretical Physics. Try to do very well in your A2 (2 A* or more including Maths) and you'd stand a good chance. If you're truly passionate about Physics than you shouldn't find it too difficult, I'd suggest making sure that it really is what you want to do before you apply though.

I would probably apply with the A-Levels in Physics and Further Maths first. Places are quite competitive, and to be honest I doubt they will consider someone who says they will do the A-Levels required in future when most applicants will already have them.

All in all, make sure you get an A* in Maths and possibly Further Maths as those are the minimum requirements.

I think i'm going to steer clear of imperial, i have decided to study AQA A2 Physics, and AS FM (D1 (or fp2/m3??), M2, FP1).

I am considering the following universities:
1. Manchester
2. Lancaster
3. Birmingham
4. Sheffield
5. Bath/Bristol
Reply 9
What do you think about those uni's? Southampton just emailed me saying it's ok :smile:

Those are probably strong FM module choices for physics, although a bit of M3/ FP3 might be fun if you do decide to do the whole A2 (which I would recommend if you have the time/ decide to do a gap year).
I reckon you've got a good chance of getting into top unis for physics, assuming you do well at physics A2 + FM AS. Try to boost your application by attending summer schools, going to extra lectures (check your local uni website, lots of them offer interesting lectures on physics/ other sciences), reading around the subject, attending related clubs at college, etc.
Reply 11
Original post by dragonkeeper999
Those are probably strong FM module choices for physics, although a bit of M3/ FP3 might be fun if you do decide to do the whole A2 (which I would recommend if you have the time/ decide to do a gap year).
I reckon you've got a good chance of getting into top unis for physics, assuming you do well at physics A2 + FM AS. Try to boost your application by attending summer schools, going to extra lectures (check your local uni website, lots of them offer interesting lectures on physics/ other sciences), reading around the subject, attending related clubs at college, etc.

Cool man, if you don't mind one last question?

As i won't have full A2 FM, i can't apply for UCL's Theoretical course which is where my passion really lies, would be at all possible to apply and hopefully get onto the normal Physics MSci program then change to theoretical after my first year? Thanks man!
Cool man, if you don't mind one last question?

As i won't have full A2 FM, i can't apply for UCL's Theoretical course which is where my passion really lies, would be at all possible to apply and hopefully get onto the normal Physics MSci program then change to theoretical after my first year? Thanks man!

They may not let you switch courses if you don't meet the basic entry requirements of the new course, may depend on your results in your first year at uni though, if you really impress them in your first year then they may allow it. It may be best to talk to someone doing Physics/ Theoretical Physics at UCL though/ phone their admissions dept.

EDIT: this may be a good thread for finding a current student: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=783795
(edited 11 years ago)
I have an offer from Imperial for Physics with Theoretical Physics starting next year. My conditions are A*A*A (Maths, Physics and Chemistry)

AS grades : 5A's (Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Economics)
A2 Predictions : A*A*A* (Maths, Chemistry and Physics)

GCSE Grades : 9A*2A's

Theoretical Physics is really competitive to get into at Imperial and very selective so you need to have an amazing personal statement, minimum of A*AA predictions and Further Maths AS or A2 to stand a chance.

You will definitely need to do Physics A-Level to get an offer.
GCSE's won't matter that much so do not worry but perfect your A2 grades and personal statement

Hope this helped :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending