The Student Room Group

Why isn't metal popular?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
It is popular, some bands anyway. Not the heavier stuff such as black/death/thrash.

It had its time anyway. Music progresses. Once-upon-a-time Disco was huge.
If you like it listen to it. Metal just isn't that catchy, most of it anyway, and doesn't therefore appeal to a wide audience. RnB/hip-hop is popular due to the whole Africa-American culture mostly.

People have different tastes and different opinions, fact of life.
(edited 11 years ago)
Can I just ask if you're into hip-hop etc?
Just interested.
Reply 22
Original post by CipherOfHate
My thoughts exactly. I like the fact that metal is an aquired taste, because we are the proud few that can say we've been able to aquire it!

There's also a level of emotion I think is unique to metal, in that it's much more meaningful and dares to cross the mainstream line of "Oh my boyfriend left me! Let's cry about it for half an hour and stick it on an album!"

Its a completely different approach to music - most mainstream music is very degrading, rather depressing stuff. The celebrity culture and pop music artists only help towards a society of self doubt and self consciousness, aka a lifestyle, body image and wealth that people cannot achieve.

I find metal to be the antithesis to this, an empowering music that promotes none of these values , whilst giving a sense of belonging to a very special specific group of people. A group where your not judged on anything - probably why i enjoyed download more than any other festival, much nicer people!
I get genuinely annoyed at anyone who dismisses any genre at all, ever.

Especially dismissing everything in the top 40, those who are of the train of thought that if it is popular it is bad or of no artistic value.
The only time I ever listen to it really is when I hit the gym
Reply 25
I completely agree. It seems like our society has been brainwashed to believe metal just consists of aggressive people screaming, which really isn't true at all, especially with bands like iron maiden.
I will always be a metal lover so society can eat my dust :headbang:
Reply 26
Original post by cant_think_of_name
Just interested.

I like older hip-hop like Notorious BIG, Nas, Run-DMC etc. The newer stuff like Lil Wayne and Drake sends me to sleep.
Original post by cant_think_of_name
Just interested.

Lupe Fiasco- Diamonds
Blue Scholars- Joe Metro
Tupac- Ghetto Ghospel
The Roots- How I got over
Coolio- I see you when you get there
Saigon+ Lecrae- Best thing I've found
Classified+ Joe Budden- Unusual
Wu Tang Clan- Triumph
Kendrick Lamar- Rigarmortus

Should give you your answer
Reply 28
I normally listen to folky/banjo playing/tree-hugging hippies however I like the occasional scream-along to Lordi and Sonata Arctica.
Reply 29
Watches thread whilst playing slipknot in the background :ninja:
Reply 30
It's abrasive (well not in all cases, moreso than pop though) and not typically about sex. Sex sells.
I quite like metal occasionally, for a change, but it's not really my thing. I think the problem is that the charts are dominated by big music consuming groups - teenage girls and students who like clubbing. The charts are therefore dominated by pop and whatever you call the stuff they play in clubs. Anyway, to say that metal is unpopular is a lie. Metal-lovers are probably a minority but a very sizeable one.
Reply 32
It is popular. Look how many people go to gigs and festivals like Download for the Metal. It just doesn't get played in the charts.
Reply 33
I'm also baffled as to why some guy shouting continuously through a mic is not appreciated by the wider public
Reply 34
Original post by SuitUp!
Metal is a very progressive type of music that purposefully turns away from popular opinion and pushes new boundaries

This can be said, and indeed is said, for every genre of music.
Metal would be **** if it was popular.

Also the charts aren't actually what is popular. The charts are a measure of what gets bought and the only people dumb enough to buy music are tweeny girls and old people.
Where have you been for the past 5 years?

Everyone listens to metal hahaha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-QmAdI7YDk

Check that out. Awesome experimental metal for you.
Reply 37
Original post by Camoxide
It is popular. Look how many people go to gigs and festivals like Download for the Metal. It just doesn't get played in the charts.

Metal makes up a minority of the Download festival. An actual metal festival like Bloodstock attracts less than 10% of the numbers that Download does.

As toosh said, it's mostly because much of metal is noisy and abrasive. When most people want to listen to music it's to switch off and listen to something catchy or relax. Many metal bands require sustained effort and attention to truly appreciate given the longer/more complex songs and harsher/noisier sound.
Reply 38
Original post by Ste_Wilko
I love metal! Disturbed being my favourite. Although I can't stop listening to Device at the mo.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I love metal too!! Disturbed are wicked!
Original post by Echofoursix
I like metal. A lot. In my opinion, it's by far the most complex, emotionally moving, enjoyable to listen to and generally good genre of music developed in the last 50 years, but so many people seem to characterise it as 'just a bunch of angry men screaming into a microphone' or complain 'I can't even hear the melody'. Most of these people have never even listened to metal, they just have all of these bizarre preconceptions about metalheads and Satanism etc

I honestly don't understand why metal isn't as popular in the UK as it is in say, Germany, Norway, Poland etc. A lot of it is astonishingly complex, comparable to classical music in its structure and complexity, and yet so many people here dismiss it without even listening to it.

Well "metal" is a huge genre, with tonnes of sub-genres within it. What type are you referring to?

Bring Me The Horizon (nu-metal) just charted at #3 in the album charts in the UK, and number 1 in Australia.

Metallica and Slipknot are two of the most well known bands in the world.

Estimated 120,000 people at Download these days. That's between 30-40,000 more than Reading and Leeds respectively.

Metal bands also get into the Reading and Leeds line up as well.

The reason it's not so media centric is because its not neutral. You can't have metal on in the background really (not for most people anyway). Whereas Justin Bieber or some generic chart music could just drone on and you can dip in and out when you like, metal demands attention which detracts from its ability to function in a social setting like chart music.

Quick Reply

Latest