The Student Room Group

OCR A level Physics help required!!

Hello, I need help with understand the below question.....

I dont understand how to do the following question..

I Understand the energy supplied is w = vq ...... but im unsure how to calculate the energy dissipated in the internal resistance of the charger and car battery..... could someone please explain? also, how would i calculate energy gained (opposite of this question, for future reference).

here's the entire paper and its a part of Q 2...

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/58045-question-paper-unit-g482-electrons-waves-and-photons.pdf
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Doesn't anyone know?
Original post by SexyNerd

I Understand the energy supplied is q = vq ...... ???????

Total energy supplied in joules = volts x current x time (i.e. Watt seconds).

i.e. 14 x 2.5 x (6 x 60 x 60) = 0.756 x106 joules.

To calculate the energy dissipated in the resistances use I2R and the energy formula above:

Vres = Icharge x Rtot = Icharge(Rcharger + Rbattery)

Pres = Vres x Icharge

Energy dissipated = Pres x tseconds
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by uberteknik

To calculate the energy dissipated in the resistances use I2R and the energy formula above:

Pres = Vres x Icharge

thanks... how do i calculate the minimum power required to lift something.... the total gravitational potential energy is 60037200..... mass 1 = 200 kg, which carries 80 individual mass of 60 kg.. vertical height is 900 m, 5 minutes in time..........
Reply 4

Pres = Vres x Icharge

so I^2 R..... would be (2.5)^2 x (.8) = 5
Reply 5
Original post by joostan
Sure :smile:
the first question...
so I^2 R..... would be (2.5)^2 x (.8) = 5

That gives the power dissipated.

Now multiply by t seconds to get the total energy used in dissipation.
thanks... how do i calculate the minimum power required to lift something.... the total gravitational potential energy is 60037200..... mass 1 = 200 kg, which carries 80 individual mass of 60 kg.. vertical height is 900 m, 5 minutes in time..........

Are you serious? This is GCSE stuff.

GPE = Mtot x gravity x height. i.e. this is the total energy needed to lift that mass 900m against gravity.

Also

Energy used = Power x Time

So Power = Energy/Time (1Watt = 1 Joule/second)

This gives the raw power needed in a straight line vertical lift executed in 5 minutes. i.e. using no other mechanical advantage which would reduce the power at the expense of a longer time.
(edited 11 years ago)
have any of you got a way of remembering the wavelengths of EM spectra? i'm just find it really hard to memorize them :s-smilie:
Original post by sophiekutie
have any of you got a way of remembering the wavelengths of EM spectra? i'm just find it really hard to memorize them :s-smilie:

Try:

Reading
Music
Is
Virtually
Useless for
Xylophones and
Glockenspiels

i.e.:

Radio waves
Micro waves
Infra red
Visible
Ultra violet
X-rays
Gamma rays
Reply 10

This is my way:

Reinvest
Money
Into
Vaults
Until
eXtras
Grow
Reply 11
the first question...

Seems to have been answered :smile:

Run
Miles
In
Very
X-Treme
Games :tongue:
x

Original post by krisshP
x

Original post by joostan
x

ahh thanks, i get the order of them, it's just the wavelengths (e.g Ultraviolet between 10^-5 to 10^-7)
apparently for my AS exam i need to know a typical wavelength for each, and i need to be able to tell what type of wave it is based on just wavelength.

thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 13
ahh thanks, i get the order of them, it's just the wavelengths (e.g Ultraviolet between 10^-5 to 10^-7)
apparently for my AS exam i need to know a typical wavelength for each, and i need to be able to tell what type of wave it is based on just wavelength.

thanks for your help :smile:

No real shortcut other than to learn them :s-smilie:
Reply 14
Are you serious? This is GCSE stuff.

GPE = Mtot x gravity x height. i.e. this is the total energy needed to lift that mass 900m against gravity.

Also

Energy used = Power x Time

So Power = Energy/Time (1Watt = 1 Joule/second)

This gives the raw power needed in a straight line vertical lift executed in 5 minutes. i.e. using no other mechanical advantage which would reduce the power at the expense of a longer time.

well i didnt do my gcse's.....how about moments.... plank is 2m.. mass a (50kg) is .2 from pivot... how far must mass b (5kg) be from pivot to be in equilibrium?

Original post by joostan
(edited 11 years ago)
well i didnt do my gcse's.....how about moments.... plank is 2m.. mass a (50kg) is .2 from pivot... how far must mass b (5kg) be from pivot to be in equilibrium?

http://www.gcse.com/fm/moments.htm
Reply 16

yes thank you, I've learnt how to do moments, but I'm stuck on this particular problem.... can you help me please? and thanks for the help in regards to the last question.
(edited 11 years ago)
yes thank you, I've learnt how to do moments, but I'm stuck on this particular problem.... can you help me?

What are you stuck on?
Reply 18
What are you stuck on?

i dont get the correct answer.... use clock wise as positive from pivot .. b is on right side of pivot, a is on the left....

so

5g(x) - 50g(.20) = 0 (equal to 0 because its in equilibrium)

5g(x) = 10g

x = 10/5

x = 2

which is not correct, can you see where my problem is?
i dont get the correct answer.... use clock wise as positive from pivot .. b is on right side of pivot, a is on the left....

so

5g(x) - 50g(.20) = 0 (equal to 0 because its in equilibrium)

5g(x) = 10g

x = 10/5

x = 2

which is not correct, can you see where my problem is?

You have the correct answer so you have to say equilibrium cannot be achieved with the stated variables. The only way of balancing is to either increase the length of the plank, or increase the mass (b), or decrease the distance of mass(a) from the pivot, or decrease mass (a).

Quick Reply

Latest