The Student Room Group

A-Level choices: Geography, Physics, or Economics?

Hello 👋

I am planning on studying Further Maths, Maths, Computer Science and Physics.

I have Geography as my fifth option

however I am interested in economics as well.

I'd like to have an idea of which would be more beneficial when applying to universities or jobs, what's covered, and their difficulties as well as the main benefits of studying the subject.

Thank you! 🙇
Don't do 5 A-levels would be my advice. Give yourself time to have a life, do things you enjoy and maybe extra/super curricular things.
Reply 2
Original post by flowersinmyhair
Don't do 5 A-levels would be my advice. Give yourself time to have a life, do things you enjoy and maybe extra/super curricular things.

I haven't heard of any sixth form that allows for 5 a levels and was only planning on doing 4 because of further maths seeming to require it but thanks, I'll keep check on my work life balance 👍

Do you have any further advice on how to have a life? Also I've never heard of that jazzy term of super curricular, what's it about or is it just your swag?
Original post by mmmng
I haven't heard of any sixth form that allows for 5 a levels and was only planning on doing 4 because of further maths seeming to require it but thanks, I'll keep check on my work life balance 👍

Do you have any further advice on how to have a life? Also I've never heard of that jazzy term of super curricular, what's it about or is it just your swag?

Super curriculars are doing things like reading around the subjects you are studying and MOOCs (massive open online courses) which are really useful when it comes to writing your personal statement for uni
Original post by mmmng
Hello 👋

I'd like to have an idea of which would be more beneficial when applying to universities or jobs, what's covered, and their difficulties as well as the main benefits of studying the subject.

Thank you! 🙇

Computer Science is exhausting and too much effort for an A* or A grade. ☹️ So don't take it.

Geography might be boring in physical geography, but human geography is very interesting. So don't take it.

Economics has a lot of easy data response marks and essays are just 15 to 30 marks each. Also, it is not that difficult in terms of workload and you have YouTube video channels devoted to Economics and Tutor2U as well for boosting your grade. 🙂

Physics, won't be easy, but as long as you study Further Mechanics for A-Level Further Maths, you should get a high grade.

Further Maths is not too difficult and is required by Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick and helps a lot for many courses also at: KCL, QMUL, SOAS, Edinburgh, Durham, Bristol, York, Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham, Newcastle and Liverpool.
Reply 5
Original post by thegeek888
Computer Science is exhausting and too much effort for an A* or A grade. ☹️ So don't take it.

Geography might be boring in physical geography, but human geography is very interesting. So don't take it.

Economics has a lot of easy data response marks and essays are just 15 to 30 marks each. Also, it is not that difficult in terms of workload and you have YouTube video channels devoted to Economics and Tutor2U as well for boosting your grade. 🙂

Physics, won't be easy, but as long as you study Further Mechanics for A-Level Further Maths, you should get a high grade.

Further Maths is not too difficult and is required by Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick and helps a lot for many courses also at: KCL, QMUL, SOAS, Edinburgh, Durham, Bristol, York, Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham, Newcastle and Liverpool.

Hey that's some nice information, thanks!
Do you take com sci? because I'm very curious as to why it'd be so exhausting if you could expand on that
Original post by mmmng
Hey that's some nice information, thanks!
Do you take com sci? because I'm very curious as to why it'd be so exhausting if you could expand on that

My cousin did A-Level Computer Science on the OCR board and he got an A grade many years ago but his Economics, Maths and History grades suffered as he devoted far too much time to the project coursework.

But even now, with the reforms of the Computer Science specification the NEA i.e. Non-Examined-Assessment is simply far too time consuming and can be very stressful.

So do Computer Science, if you can sacrifice your social life around the time of the Programming project NEA. 🙂 lol
Reply 7
Original post by thegeek888
My cousin did A-Level Computer Science on the OCR board and he got an A grade many years ago but his Economics, Maths and History grades suffered as he devoted far too much time to the project coursework.

But even now, with the reforms of the Computer Science specification the NEA i.e. Non-Examined-Assessment is simply far too time consuming and can be very stressful.

So do Computer Science, if you can sacrifice your social life around the time of the Programming project NEA. 🙂 lol

Oh I've heard OCR is the worst, bless them.
Original post by mmmng
Oh I've heard OCR is the worst, bless them.

I would take Economics, as you can use the Tutor2U guides for £10 each student editions. Also, most Cambridge and LSE Economics applicants achieved 3A* grades?! 😀
Original post by mmmng
Hello 👋

Thank you! 🙇

Hi, I'd recommend not taking so many A-Levels and narrowing it down to three options as A-levels are incredibly difficult and it will be stressful managing all of those subjects and doing well in them. Unis only require on 3 subjects so focusing on 3 will enable you to get the best grade in your subjects to enter university.

I did Geography and thoroughly enjoyed it, especially learning about disasters and regional geopolitics of different regions. The exam was mainly essay based and we had a fieldwork to complete as well The subject was beneficial as it sparked my interest to study international relations and arabic at SOAS. Having spoken to friends, I think economics would be more useful in terms of future jobs and general business knowledge. I'd recommend looking at university prospectuses and for courses you're interested in look at the subject requirements to help you make the final decision of which A-Levels to choose. Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest