The Student Room Group

Do people have the moral 'right' to call each other fat?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
The fact you had to check my profile and refer to the fact I like a certain TV show speaks volumes about your argument. :ahee:

That i felt the need to check that he didn't have mental disabilities?

(thats the impression you gave/still give)
I don't see why people tip toe around fat people and say they're not fat and whatever. If they're fat they are fat and of they don't want to be called fat then they should lose weight. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with being a little over weight but people need to accept that they are if they are.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CaptainDudeson
Be that as it may, most people automatically make the assumption that fat people are unhealthy which is why it is viewed by the majority of people as being a bad thing.

They might do but it doesn't make it right
Be that as it may, most people automatically make the assumption that fat people are unhealthy which is why it is viewed by the majority of people as being a bad thing.

In this society maybe, but not in all societies.
Original post by Blake-inator
That i felt the need to check that he didn't have mental disabilities?

(thats the impression you gave/still give)

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand he's back to the ad hominems.
Original post by areebmazhar
I think you do have an attitude problem tbf, you must have a prefect body right?

I don't have a prefect body. I don't have a perfect body either. I'm not saying that everyone should have a 'perfect' body but at least try to keep yourself in reasonable shape. It's not that hard.
Reply 86
Original post by Iron Lady
I'm not fat, but not slim either.

Even so, it's not your problem, and I don't care if you're "shocked". Sorry if my size "offends" you.

Lol, it was a joke about your avi, I dgaf if you're fat.
Original post by frankieboy
Judge them if you like, but don't complain when people judge you.

I don't.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand he's back to the ad hominems.

I'm going to go, and come back once the whacky shack have given you your sedative....
Original post by askew116
You have an attitude problem.

No I don't.
Reply 90
Original post by sugar-n-spice
Welcome back, I was actually gonna make a thread on this. :tongue:

People think bullying fat people is acceptable, and justify it by saying that it's a choice they have made by eating too much and not exercising enough so it is OK to call them ugly etc because they are showing a lack of self-respect so why should you respect them? Ignoring how completely nonsensical that argument is, it's sad on their part that they even want to treat someone like that, but also actually quite pathetic if you actually have the lack of self-assurance that you create bull**** arguments to justify bullying people.

I support free speech without any limits so people should have the legal right to do it, but I still feel it's wrong.

For the benefit of Jimbo and co. I'm not even fat. :h:

Thank you for the warm welcome and great minds think alike.

I feel that bullying someone for whatever reason is wrong, especially when they use ridiculous paternalistic and patronising arguments like "it's for your own good". Also, why is it for their "own good" when it's not a crime or a moral offence to be fat? People shouldn't have to apologise or change just for offending Perfect Peter's eyes.

Agreed, the legal right is so different to moral though, people should be aware of when it's bordering on inconsiderate and tactless to belittle others just for being a few extra pounds heavier than the norm.

Social conformity FTW :facepalm2:
They might do but it doesn't make it right

It may not make it right but it's not something that's going to change so fatsos need to just suck it up or lose weight if they are upset by it.
Original post by Blake-inator
I'm going to go, and come back once the whacky shack have given you your sedative....

Do hurry, I miss your insightful remarks already :sad:
Reply 93
I don't have a prefect body. I don't have a perfect body either. I'm not saying that everyone should have a 'perfect' body but at least try to keep yourself in reasonable shape. It's not that hard.

But whhhhhhyyyyyyy (when they're aware of the consequences, lol?)
Original post by frankieboy
In this society maybe, but not in all societies.

Please give me an example of a society where fatness is seen as being a good thing.
It may not make it right but it's not something that's going to change so fatsos need to just suck it up or lose weight if they are upset by it.

That kind of attitude is what stops progress though. Should anyone who's treated unfavourably just suck it up? Or should they kick the **** off until it changes? I go with the latter myself
Reply 96
Original post by geetar
Lol, it was a joke about your avi, I dgaf if you're fat.

D'ya want a medal?
Please give me an example of a society where fatness is seen as being a good thing.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/3429903.stm

Certain societies do regard fat people higher

Japan.

You are judging them though, I don't think you have ever been in the situation where you are 6/7 stones overweight, it's not that simple to lose weight. The procedure is simple i.e a calorie deficit is all that is required but the execution is much more complex and difficult. There are many psychosocial issues to consider. So you should drop your superiority complex of how thin you are and how lazy those fat people are.

Oh and btw, having previously been 18st at 6ft I have first hand experience in this issue, I am of a normal weight now, you can check out my transformation blog if you would like. I feel sorry for fat people because I know how it feels like to be one and how difficult losing weight can be.

Peace x

Quick Reply

Latest