The Student Room Group

OCR A level Physics help required!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by uberteknik
You have the correct answer so you have to say equilibrium cannot be achieved with the stated variables. The only way of balancing is to either increase the length of the plank, or increase the mass (b), or decrease the distance of mass(a) from the pivot, or decrease mass (a).

no, its a show that, and it does work. i've actually reworded the question... but I was trying to calculate x, so that I could 1.5 - x = 30....... here is the original.... part (ii)
Original post by SexyNerd
i dont get the correct answer.... use clock wise as positive from pivot .. b is on right side of pivot, a is on the left....

so

5g(x) - 50g(.20) = 0 (equal to 0 because its in equilibrium)

5g(x) = 10g

x = 10/5

x = 2

which is not correct, can you see where my problem is?

Have they given you a mass for the plank? If yes, the answer is nit the simple gcse type.
Reply 22
Have they given you a mass for the plank? If yes, the answer is nit the simple gcse type.

yes they did, i've posted the question....
Reply 23

any success?
Oh Ok. Just seen that.

I will be back shortly but before that, you now have to take into account the turning force produced by the beam itself which will be solved by assuming the mass of the plank is evenly distributed along the entire beam and you have to integrate all of the moments produced by that distributed mass.
Reply 25
Oh Ok. Just seen that.

I will be back shortly but before that, you now have to take into account the turning force produced by the beam itself which will be solved by assuming the mass of the plank is evenly distributed along the entire beam and you have to integrate all of the moments produced by that distributed mass.

i've not done that before, can you show me when you return?
The weight of the plank, as its mass is uniform, acts downwards at its centre. (At the centre of gravity.)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by Stonebridge
The weight of the plank, as it's mass is uniform, acts downwards at it's centre. (At the centre of gravity.)

oh yes, of course!
Reply 28
Oh Ok. Just seen that.

Original post by Stonebridge

can you explain part (ii) to me please?
(edited 11 years ago)
Torque is a force vector producing a rotation about a pivot.

This is the same as a moment (force x distance from pivot) but this time with the angle made between the force vector and the lever arm now taken into account.

measured in Newton meters

where r = radius of the force vector from the pivot (axis) of rotation.
Reply 30
Torque is a force vector producing a rotation about a pivot.

This is the same as a moment (force x distance from pivot) but this time with the angle made between the force vector and the lever arm now taken into account.

measured in Newton meters

where r = radius of the force vector from the pivot (axis) of rotation.

so how would you apply this to the above?
so how would you apply this to the above?

Same as you would for a moment. In this case the forces at opposite ends of the lever (distance to the pivot = radius of the wheel) are acting in the same 'rotational' direction so sum.

The force vector is acting at a tangent to the radius. i.e. 90o​.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 32
Same as you would for a moment. In this case the forces at opposite ends of the lever (distance to the pivot = radius of the wheel) are acting in the same direction so sum.

The force vector is acting at a tangent to the radius. i.e. 90o​.

so the answer should be the wheel is in equilibrium.
so the answer should be the wheel is in equilibrium.

Equilibrium means no influences cause it to move. i.e. the Net forces sum to zero.
Reply 34
Equilibrium means no influences cause it to move. i.e. the Net forces sum to zero.

so it doesn't move?
(edited 11 years ago)
so it doest move?

The forces at opposite ends of the radius are acting to rotate the wheel in the same direction. There are no other forces opposing this.

Those forces will therefore cause the wheel to accelerate.

So yes, the wheel will accelerate and no, the forces are not in equilibrium.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 36
The forces at opposite ends of the radius are acting to rotate the wheel in the same direction. There are no other forces opposing this.

thanks..... :smile:
Reply 37

part i,

v = u +at

so should v = u + (8)(4)

v = 32???
part i,

v = u +at

so should v = u + (8)(4)

v = 32???

No, because the acceleration is not constant over the 4 seconds. i.e. it starts at 0 and rises to 8m/s2 during that 4 seconds.
Reply 39
No, because the acceleration is not constant over the 4 seconds. i.e. it starts at 0 and rises to 8m/s2 during that 4 seconds.

thought so, thanks...

Quick Reply

Latest