The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Unit 1 practicals

1) Calculating speed and acceleration using a) Ticker tape
b) Light Gate

2) Calculating acceleration of free fall.

3) Comparing viscosity of liquids, calculating viscosity, terminal velocity and drag force using stokes' law.

4) Calculating young modulus using a copper wire.

These are the main unit 1 practicals, not too sure about unit 2.

Next time post in the sub forum "Physics Exams".
Reply 2
Thanks and I did post in the sub forum

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NilFBosh
Thanks and I did post in the sub forum

Posted from TSR Mobile

What experiment u thnk will come? or atleast is it from u1 or u2 u thnk?
Reply 4
Original post by Daniel Atieh
What experiment u thnk will come? or atleast is it from u1 or u2 u thnk?

Most probably from Unit 2 electricity. ALthough most questions are repeated. like criticize the readings.
Most probably from Unit 2 electricity. ALthough most questions are repeated. like criticize the readings.

aha cool...I've solved like 8 papers and almost everything went fine with me, some of them I got B and some A...so do u thnk this is enough to study for this paper?
does anyone here have any resources??
Reply 7
aha cool...I've solved like 8 papers and almost everything went fine with me, some of them I got B and some A...so do u thnk this is enough to study for this paper?

Yeah it relatively easy compared to bio :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8

I'm not too sure what "criticize the readings" tend to mean... help out?
Reply 9
Original post by leafy9
I'm not too sure what "criticize the readings" tend to mean... help out?

A list of tabulated readings will be given. If there are 5 or less readings u can write "not enough readings". If the experiment wasn't repeated u can write "readings not repeated". If in one column in the table, say potential difference and if some readings are given to 2 decimal places and some are given to one decimal place, u can say "inconsistent precision for potential difference readings" if the independent variable, say load, has irregular intervals, for eg 10N, 16N, 21N whereas its supposed to be like 10N, 15N , 20N u can write "inconsistent/irregular intervals for load"
Sometimes in a column for Force the unit will not be given, eg "Force" whereas it's supposed to be "Force/N" u can say "unit is not given for force"

These are all the criticizing u can do. Every table will not have all these defects. So read properly and criticize.

Hope this helps. And good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
A list of tabulated readings will be given. If there are 5 or less readings u can write "not enough readings". If the experiment wasn't repeated u can write "readings not repeated". If in one column in the table, say potential difference and if some readings are given to 2 decimal places and some are given to one decimal place, u can say "inconsistent precision for potential difference readings" if the independent variable, say load, has irregular intervals, for eg 10N, 16N, 21N whereas its supposed to be like 10N, 15N , 20N u can write "inconsistent/irregular intervals for load"
Sometimes in a column for Force the unit will not be given, eg "Force" whereas it's supposed to be "Force/N" u can say "unit is not given for force"

These are all the criticizing u can do. Every table will not have all these defects. So read properly and criticize.

Hope this helps. And good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks loads! :smile: We sort of discussed this in class, but my teacher has this way of just talking through things... some specific things like this are sort of hard to catch up on. :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by leafy9
Thanks loads! :smile: We sort of discussed this in class, but my teacher has this way of just talking through things... some specific things like this are sort of hard to catch up on. :biggrin:

No thanks needed. Pls give me a rep :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sure np!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey man..pleaseee check for me this image, am really confused in this experiment, i thnk it depends on what the question says or what...thanksreal phy problem.jpg
Hey man..pleaseee check for me this image, am really confused in this experiment, i thnk it depends on what the question says or what...thanksreal phy problem.jpg

What you did is correct ( the first 4 steps). You might want to add that the average diameter is measured at different places using a micrometer screwgauge. Also it is better to use a potentiometer than a rheostat.

Using different lengths of the wire would mean that you have to keep the diameter constant which is very difficult. Its always better to test on the same material rather than using different ones.

If the question specifically asks us to measure resistivity using different lengths of wires (unlikely) then we should do as they ask, else those 4 steps are perfectly fine :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Relaxedexams
What you did is correct ( the first 4 steps). You might want to add that the average diameter is measured at different places using a micrometer screwgauge. Also it is better to use a potentiometer than a rheostat.

Using different lengths of the wire would mean that you have to keep the diameter constant which is very difficult. Its always better to test on the same material rather than using different ones.

If the question specifically asks us to measure resistivity using different lengths of wires (unlikely) then we should do as they ask, else those 4 steps are perfectly fine :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks a lot really! and which experiment u guess will come?:smile:
thanks a lot really! and which experiment u guess will come?:smile:

Viscosity/ thermistor/ stationary waves seem most likely.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17

All 4 points correct but it depends on the question too. Don't worry abt it :smile:

But here's an alternative answer.
When using a potentiometer, move the tapping key of the potentiometer at different points of the wire and measure the length and record the corresponding voltmeter and ammeter readings. The measure the resistance at each length of the wire and plot a graph

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
So these are the practicals you have to study.

Unit 1 practicals

1) Calculating speed and acceleration using a) Ticker tape
b) Light Gate

2) Calculating acceleration of free fall.

3) Comparing viscosity of liquids, calculating viscosity, terminal velocity and drag force using stokes' law.

4) Calculating young modulus using a copper wire.

Unit 2

1) Measuring the resistivity of a wire

2) Measuring the internal resistance of a cell

3) Finding the condition to obtain optimum power output in the load (Not sure if this experiment is in the syllabus)

4)Verifying the change in resistance of thermistor with temperature

5) Measuring Plancks constant

6) Standing/Stationary waves experiment (Not sure abt this but better to be sure)

If there's something missing pls let me know
Reply 19
Can anyone give me an idea about uncertainty like how do we calculate it and why sometimes we use the least count as the uncertainty , this is so confusing

Latest

Trending

Trending