The Student Room Group

AQA GCE Geography Unit 3- 7th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by clareramos
That is a load of ****.

The exam is structured in a way so that you can do what they're saying with only studying 3 topics. So you can choose your weaker one for the short answer questions as you'll loose less marks. The worst thing is that AQA says to teachers every year that you only have to do 3 topics and that 4 topics isn't needed and is not advised.

I'm quite happy doing 4 instead of 3 actually, mainly because I get a nice split between physical and human and I really really dislike weather so if we only did that plus two others I'd definitely loose a considerable amount of marks on that question!! that's just me though!
Original post by Gary
Is that raw marks or ums? I'm guessing ums, you got 187 ums in AS which is an A* and to get an A in A2 you need 133 out of 200 (combined with unit 3 and 4)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes it is ums :smile: Ahh ok thanks a lot for this! x
Original post by SamEastie
okay, well it's out of 400 and you need 320 for an A I think.. :smile:

Ok thanks x
Reply 203
Original post by V95
i'm in the exact same position, i got 74 too! haha, i'm pretty sure we will be fine with 106/120 for the overall A*. Do you have any idea how many raw marks this is (roughly)? :smile:

Well it depends on how hard the paper is but it varies between 63-69 I think usually the A* grade/108 UMS is around 68-69/90 but Jan 2013 was 63!? (looked like a pretty nasty paper though!) I guess just aim for 70 to be safe :P
Theres a raw to UMS converter on the AQA website.
Original post by fredrik
Well it depends on how hard the paper is but it varies between 63-69 I think usually the A* grade/108 UMS is around 68-69/90 but Jan 2013 was 63!? (looked like a pretty nasty paper though!) I guess just aim for 70 to be safe :P
Theres a raw to UMS converter on the AQA website.

I got 80/80 UMS on geog4a do u know what I need for the A* on geog3? Will it be 70/90 raw which would be 108 UMS. I thought the A* was 180 on the both the A2 papers? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 205
If anyone needs any cheap AQA geography revision guides/textbook (geog 3 & 4) pm me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 206
this thread from last year is so much more useful than ours so far http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1912173&page=6&page=6 someone has uploaded all their notes on this page and previous pages, I think its useful :smile:
Reply 207
How would people answer this as a possible question? 'How do seismic waves reveal information about earth's interior?'

Things I've thought of:
Velocity of the waves depends on the density and elasticity of the material they travel through. Seismic waves move more slowly through a liquid than a solid and travel more quickly through denser materials.
Know the outer core is liquid because secondary waves are not recorded at a zone below the core, on the other side of the earth to an earthquake as secondary waves cannot travel through liquids.

yeh help please guys :smile:
Original post by JenniS
How would people answer this as a possible question? 'How do seismic waves reveal information about earth's interior?'

Things I've thought of:
Velocity of the waves depends on the density and elasticity of the material they travel through. Seismic waves move more slowly through a liquid than a solid and travel more quickly through denser materials.
Know the outer core is liquid because secondary waves are not recorded at a zone below the core, on the other side of the earth to an earthquake as secondary waves cannot travel through liquids.

yeh help please guys :smile:

Could also mention about areas of shadow zones and after shocks at different locations. You could also classify each waves and say how fast each of the waves travel through the earth which reveal thickness. Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know of any exam questions on the atmospheric circulation system / tricelluar model? I'm really struggling to get to grips with it.
Original post by feathergirl
Does anyone know of any exam questions on the atmospheric circulation system / tricelluar model? I'm really struggling to get to grips with it.

Could be a chart like attached for the 7mkr saying something on the lines of comment on the global atmospheric circulation. Or for 8 mkr explain the atmospheric circulation. You would need to talk about the cells difference in low and high pressure and distribution. Could also mention weather so at Hadley cell=low pressure= convectional uplift=clouds= precipitation. Also talk about winds and Corolis and which way winds are deflected in northern and s hemisphere ImageUploadedByStudent Room1367777082.273802.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 211
Does anyone have any advice on the 40 marker!? I'm really worried about how to structure, how much to write, how to decipher the question etc
I will most likely do the tectonics essay
My other structured questions which i am studying for are Weather and World Cities
structure it as an essay. introduction, body, conclusion.
Reply 213
I don't know if this is just me, but the ecosystems chapter seems to be extremely unpopular. Ive seen only 1 other person on this forum doing it! I quite like it and might choose it as an essay question. I'm also doing world cities and plate tectonics, 2 of the most popular choices it seems.
Original post by joereed
I don't know if this is just me, but the ecosystems chapter seems to be extremely unpopular. Ive seen only 1 other person on this forum doing it! I quite like it and might choose it as an essay question. I'm also doing world cities and plate tectonics, 2 of the most popular choices it seems.

I'm doing ecosystems too, I'm finding it extremely tedious:frown: do you know what came up in January 2013?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Is there a thread for Geo4B?
Reply 216
Original post by sheldorofazaroth
I'm doing ecosystems too, I'm finding it extremely tedious do you know what came up in January 2013?

7 marks = 'Describe and comment on the food web shown.' 8 marks = 'Explain how energy flows operate within an ecosystem.' 10 marks = 'With reference to the biome of one tropical region that you have studied, discuss the adaptations to the climate by vegetation and/or animals. 40 marks = 'How successful can the management of fragile environments be, given the constant and increasing demand for their exploitation?' all in all it seemed like quite a decent set of ecosystems question, although the 40 marker may have been a bit tricky. I don't think its a particularly demanding topic personally.
Original post by joereed
7 marks = 'Describe and comment on the food web shown.' 8 marks = 'Explain how energy flows operate within an ecosystem.' 10 marks = 'With reference to the biome of one tropical region that you have studied, discuss the adaptations to the climate by vegetation and/or animals. 40 marks = 'How successful can the management of fragile environments be, given the constant and increasing demand for their exploitation?' all in all it seemed like quite a decent set of ecosystems question, although the 40 marker may have been a bit tricky. I don't think its a particularly demanding topic personally.

The little questions seem simple :smile: fingers crossed they will be like this in June... But thank you for this :smile:

Reply 218
I have already sat this exam twice, so if anyone has any questions feel fre to ask. :smile:
Original post by Aron17
I have already sat this exam twice, so if anyone has any questions feel fre to ask. :smile:

any great tips you can give us in preparation - most important things etc :h:?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending