The Student Room Group

Higher Modern Studies 2012-13: Discussion and Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 880
What is everyone mainly focusing on in health and wealth?
Lifestyle choice, poverty, social class.
Who the poor are, where they live, the rich, poor divide.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by weejackie10
What's your thoughts on USA? I recently used the website 'modernity scotland' by the man who writes the exam and affirmative action was on the homepage. Surely that's not coming up? ������

Posted from TSR Mobile

cant see that coming up as a exam question. i think the guy is repeating the questions from 2007 onwards but changing the question slightly as last years was a repeat except he just removed supreme court from the q :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
can someone tell me what else i should learn?

Voting Systems

Wealth/lifestyle on health
social and economic inequality (basically gender and race)
gov policies to reduce poverty

american dream
benefit of migration to the USA
Ethnic minority effect of voting
social and economic

BEE
Social and economic
inequalities between racial groups

help!
Does anyone know roughly the grade boundaries?
Original post by JackoGeddes
can someone tell me what else i should learn?

Voting Systems

Wealth/lifestyle on health
social and economic inequality (basically gender and race)
gov policies to reduce poverty

american dream
benefit of migration to the USA
Ethnic minority effect of voting
social and economic

BEE
Social and economic
inequalities between racial groups

help!

are you learning voting behavior? im learning the same as you for H n W and America and i think thats enough though i am preparing incase in america a political progress/under representation comes up.
Original post by JessicaLee123
cant see that coming up as a exam question. i think the guy is repeating the questions from 2007 onwards but changing the question slightly as last years was a repeat except he just removed supreme court from the q :smile:

When you day repeating the question, does that mean, for all topics and units, he's using the questions that have been in since 2007? Because i seriously hope so!
Original post by nicolagrantgrant
Does anyone know roughly the grade boundaries?

It's the standard 70% for an A, 60%, 50%
What's your thoughts on USA? I recently used the website 'modernity scotland' by the man who writes the exam and affirmative action was on the homepage. Surely that's not coming up? ������

Posted from TSR Mobile

The exam is written 2 years beforehand.,
I hate health and wealth. Like, despise :frown:
Reeeally worried.
I know: race inequals, gender inequals, lifestyle choices affecting health and a bit of other randoms stuff. Ahhh, I'm in trouble...
Thanks very much, I'm hoping for ethnic minorities and the american dream then. Anyone thinking about NGO's for the politics of development question? Also does anyone have a specimen answer for FPTP VS AMS?:smile:
Original post by scotland_1
When you day repeating the question, does that mean, for all topics and units, he's using the questions that have been in since 2007? Because i seriously hope so!

For each topic he could be because theres only so many questions you can ask. In health and wealth hes repeating questions from the past 2007 years but wording it differently therefore im revising 3 out of the possible 4 in H n W topic :smile:
Thanks very much, I'm hoping for ethnic minorities and the american dream then. Anyone thinking about NGO's for the politics of development question? Also does anyone have a specimen answer for FPTP VS AMS?:smile:

somebody posted that a few pages back. you should find it :smile:
Reply 893
Original post by fjords
How would I go about structuring a trade vs aid essay? Does anyone have an example essay or anything?

My teacher put that at the top of her list for the Politics of Development predictions but I haven't really seen it mentioned in this thread.

Original post by fjords
Do these questions: "To what extent... does a person's social class affect health and wealth/is there a link between lifestyle and social inequalities/is there a link between income and health?" roughly have the same sort of essay structure?
I assume i'd be talking about all the different factors affecting health/wealth (geography, race/gender, social class and lifestyle) in each one and not just the one factor mentioned?

Can anyone help with these two questions? Pleaseeee!

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 894
Original post by hollieeilloh
I hate health and wealth. Like, despise :frown:
Reeeally worried.
I know: race inequals, gender inequals, lifestyle choices affecting health and a bit of other randoms stuff. Ahhh, I'm in trouble...

Ah, same! It's by far my worst topic.
Reply 895
Grade boundaries for the past two years have been 63/62 for an A :smile:
Yeah they are pretty much the same essay mentioning lifestyle choice diet etc however when you talk about income mention like education and stuff like social class 1 & 2 are most likely to spend 10,000 per yer on there child's education - get better jobs.. Then mention how there's a direct link between housing and education of your going to buy a house in a more affluent area of town there will be better quality schools who do well in the publicised '"league tables'.

Hope that helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
According to the SQA's 2012 grade boundaries table, the minimum mark for an A grade last year was 63/90 which equates to exactly 70%.
Hmm...so if I were to get 25/30 in the report, I'd only need to get 9.5 marks per essay to get an A. :biggrin:
Reply 898
Yeah they are pretty much the same essay mentioning lifestyle choice diet etc however when you talk about income mention like education and stuff like social class 1 & 2 are most likely to spend 10,000 per yer on there child's education - get better jobs.. Then mention how there's a direct link between housing and education of your going to buy a house in a more affluent area of town there will be better quality schools who do well in the publicised '"league tables'.

Hope that helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you very much!
I'm struggling on the Devolved Decision making topic and was wondering if somebody could help with a plan as to how local government has come into conflict with the Scottish government?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending