The Student Room Group

AQA Sociology SCLY1 Family & Households 13th May 2013.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
my teacher has said that he thinks it might be on couples :-)
Reply 81
hi, i was wondering if someone could please help me with social policy, all i know is CSA and child reform act but i'm not completely clear with them :smile:any help would really be much appreciated thanks
Reply 82
i have my resit exam on Monday and i do not have a clue what to revise! can anyone give me any tips or ideas as to what will be on the paper?
Reply 83
Original post by ellie1373
i have my resit exam on Monday and i do not have a clue what to revise! can anyone give me any tips or ideas as to what will be on the paper?

I'm revising thoroughly; Couples, Demography and Changing family patterns and the others not so thoroughly but general opinion seems to point to the 24 markers being on those 3 topics.
Reply 84
I'm revising unit 3 sociology and need help on writing a 18 mark question. Could someone please help me
Reply 85
Original post by Deyesy
I'm revising thoroughly; Couples, Demography and Changing family patterns and the others not so thoroughly but general opinion seems to point to the 24 markers being on those 3 topics.

what's changing family patterns?

is that diversity? if so the came up in january....will it come up again?
Reply 86
Original post by hana7206
hi, i was wondering if someone could please help me with social policy, all i know is CSA and child reform act but i'm not completely clear with them :smile:any help would really be much appreciated thanks

yeah what are actual social policies that have existed

i have learnt what functionalists, marxists and new right think of social policies but don't know any actual social policies
Reply 87
Original post by chellls
my teacher said that if you don't note any studies/researchers then you won't get any higher than a C.

That's not true, I sat this exam Jan 2012 and my mind blanked of all names so I didn't put any and I came out with a high B (I was 1 mark off an A which is why I'm resitting now to take some stress off the grades I need in my A-level finals.)

Although I agree that you do have to put in some studies. You just have to know what the studies were and what they show,
Reply 88
Original post by LlamaLady
That's not true, I sat this exam Jan 2012 and my mind blanked of all names so I didn't put any and I came out with a high B (I was 1 mark off an A which is why I'm resitting now to take some stress off the grades I need in my A-level finals.)

Although I agree that you do have to put in some studies. You just have to know what the studies were and what they show,

wow what came up though? how did you not put any studies....it a question that didnt require any?
Reply 89
yeah what are actual social policies that have existed

i have learnt what functionalists, marxists and new right think of social policies but don't know any actual social policies

I have been doing some research and so far I've found these: (hope they help)

child support agencies (introduced in 1993) (to make parent, mainly fathers, pay maintenance for children who they don't live with)
civil partnerships and homosexual adoptions (creates equality between homosexual and heterosexual couples)
working family tax credits (introduced in 2003) (for people who have low incomes or cant work because of disability)
sure start program (introduced to give children the best possible start in life) (improves current childcare, supports parent etc)
divorce reform act
free contraception and abortion (introduced to reduce birth rates, unexpected pregnancies and the amount of teenage pregnancies)
funded nursery places for 3 year olds (introduced to enable women to return to work after having a baby)
compulsory state education (introduced to give children a good educations, it has reduced child crime) (disadvantage is that children are dependent on the family for longer)
Reply 90
I have been doing some research and so far I've found these: (hope they help)

child support agencies (introduced in 1993) (to make parent, mainly fathers, pay maintenance for children who they don't live with)
civil partnerships and homosexual adoptions (creates equality between homosexual and heterosexual couples)
working family tax credits (introduced in 2003) (for people who have low incomes or cant work because of disability)
sure start program (introduced to give children the best possible start in life) (improves current childcare, supports parent etc)
divorce reform act
free contraception and abortion (introduced to reduce birth rates, unexpected pregnancies and the amount of teenage pregnancies)
funded nursery places for 3 year olds (introduced to enable women to return to work after having a baby)
compulsory state education (introduced to give children a good educations, it has reduced child crime) (disadvantage is that children are dependent on the family for longer)

oh so do you just bring them up if the question asks about social policies? how many do you name?
Reply 91
Original post by 3mmz
oh so do you just bring them up if the question asks about social policies? how many do you name?

i think so, but i think you might have to refer to the sociological views on them more and how the social policies impact family life.
I think that for example free contraception has decreased the birth rate and has also given women the choice of whether to have children or not, therefore feminists like this social policy.
but i'm really not sure
Reply 92
i think so, but i think you might have to refer to the sociological views on them more and how the social policies impact family life.
I think that for example free contraception has decreased the birth rate and has also given women the choice of whether to have children or not, therefore feminists like this social policy.
but i'm really not sure

yeah all these links

im scared:frown:
hope couples come up?

how many studies do you know for couples?
i only know edgell, pahl and vogler, young and wilmott and oakley. thats it.
Reply 93
Original post by 3mmz
yeah all these links

im scared:frown:
hope couples come up?

how many studies do you know for couples?
i only know edgell, pahl and vogler, young and wilmott and oakley. thats it.

what sort of question do you think it will be for couples???
Reply 94
is there any predictions on what can come up ??
Reply 95
assess the contribution of feminist sociologists to an understanding of family roles and relationships.

this is one question I found :smile:
When you guys mention 'Couples', I'm presuming something along the lines of "Examine the factors that affect Domestic Division of Labour and power between couples".
Am I right? Surely that sounds like a nice question? I would like that.

Also, if anyone would be kind enough, could you please provide myself/the rest of us with some 'model questions' to do with the presumed themes? (I.E Demography, Couples, Family Diversity etc...)
Reply 97
didnt family diversity come up in january...

will it come up again?
Reply 98
Original post by GrumpyChickensDS
When you guys mention 'Couples', I'm presuming something along the lines of "Examine the factors that affect Domestic Division of Labour and power between couples".
Am I right? Surely that sounds like a nice question? I would like that.

Also, if anyone would be kind enough, could you please provide myself/the rest of us with some 'model questions' to do with the presumed themes? (I.E Demography, Couples, Family Diversity etc...)

that's a tricky question actually...

examine....so what to do talk about?

is that about the symmetrical family?
Reply 99
just doing a past paper and read this question....

Examine the reasons for, and the effects of, changes in family size over the past
100 years or so. (24 marks)

Is that family diversity or what?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending