The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by justanotherindigo
Yep you can! :biggrin: It will reinforce your arguments so much more :smile:

Yes! It's incredible :biggrin: Ahaa that is actually true :lol: But the sources can be so dodgy sometimes especially in the textbook :redface: My friend does the exact same topics as you, and she told me that Russia is really really loooong haha, but if it's interesting then it keeps you engaged! The essays I actually enjoy (pretty weird of me :tongue:) because you have the opportunity to argue :biggrin:

Russia is long, I think it's because it's two topic disguised as 1 Russia 1881-1917 and Stalin's Russia to 1953 :s Dodgey sources I hate... I remember I did when I did my GCSE exam and for the final essay section of the paper based on a source the source was one sentence taken from a journal of a guy who was at a one meeting with Hitler... It was the vaguest thing to make students base an essay on. That's the thing about these essays sometimes that I don't like, too much evidence and not enough arguing, the conclusion paragraph is always the best to write :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by _JC95
I am sitting both these exams and doing all the exact same units as you, which topics are you predicting will come up?

Posted from TSR Mobile

One of the revolutions in 1917 (I'm going with October, its not been up for a while) and economic reform under Witte or Stolypin (economic reform hasn't come up since January 2010 :s-smilie:) if I was going with my gut guesses. The consolidation of power has come up on the past 2 papers so I don't think that'll be on there but you never know. Repression up to 1905 came up as well in january so I don't think they'll be anything on before 1905. For possibilities I'd say 1905 and why it failed, or political reform from 1906 :s

I think the struggle for power and something about the five year plans. Repression and WW2 came up in January. I don't know, I've found Stalin harder to guess.

Going through the past papers though I've noticed that in Russia in Revolution there's always a question on before 1914 and one on after 1914 every year. Knowing my luck though that pattern will probably change in may XD

though this is all speculation, mind you :smile: I'm not going to leave anything to chance.
Reply 22
Original post by Raj_
Hi people, I'm doing unit 1- option D Russia in revolution and Stalin's Russia e.g Russia 1881-1953 aswell
but for unit 2, im doing Poverty, Public Health, and growth of government in Britain 1830 - 75
Anyone else doing the same? I'm finding Unit 2 ok...but the Unit 1 Russia is
killing me! I'm finding it really hard to revise for it and remember the mass of content. :confused:

Yeah, Russia is tough. I find it helpful to plan the essays- most have a similar structure (e.g if writing about consolidation of power you always write about either weaknesses of the oppostion, terror, Lenin or Trotsky.) so make sure you know what point you'd make about each and what evidence you'd use to back it up for each specific point. The. Write the paragraphs back in timed conditions, see how much you remember, then try again.
Reply 23
These are the Key Topics for Russia in Revolution
Repression up to 1905- Russification and pogroms, Land Captains, Statue of State Security, Zemstevs,Censorship, Okhrana and Universities
The opposition up to 1905- The social democrats and the 1903 split, Social revolutionaries and the split between anarchists and revolutionaries, the liberals
Economic reform up to 1905- Bunge to 82 and Vyshnegradsky to 87- introduction of the peasent lank bank, foreign loans, reduction in peasent taxes
Sergei Witte- Sucesses- Industrial growth and foreign investment, growth of cities, the trans Siberian railway Failures- living conditions and relatively small proletariat, tax and ignorance of the peasents and famine, tariffs and debt from loans and how far Russia was behind other already industrialised countries.
Causes of the 1905 revolution Bloody Sunday massacre, the Russo Japanese war, Witte and Peasent unrest, proletariat and the bourgeoise want for poltical power
Why the 1905 revoltuion failed- October manestfesto and isolation of workers, loyalty of e army, loyalty of the elite and his supporters e.g Black Hundreds, Weaknesses of the oppostion
Stolypin and Economic reform- Sucesses- Creation of Kulaks and wager on the strong, Improved agrarian growth, Improvement of the Mirs and PLB, failures- conservatism of the peasents, assassination in 1911, ignorance and worsening condition of the workers
Repression and the Dumas- Stolypins necktie and Marshall law, censorship, the fundamental laws, the electoral law of 1907 and the 3rd/4th Duma, the Vyborg appeal and the 1st and 2nd Duma
Causes of the 1917 Feb revolution- poltical and economic impact of WW1, the Tsar, Tsarina and Rasputin, Lack of army loyalty, Lack of Elite support
Causes of the 1917 October revolution and why the Bolsheviks consolidated power- June offensive, nature of PG, Korlinov Affaire and Kerensky, Lenin and his leadership, Trotsky's organisation. (It is also important to note the importance of the July Days)
Consolidation of power- weaknesses of the whites/oppostion, Lenin's leadership, the treaty of bresk litvosk, Trostky's military brilliance, repression and brutality of the reds.
Reply 24
Original post by NaomiASuts
These are the Key Topics for Russia in Revolution
Repression up to 1905- Russification and pogroms, Land Captains, Statue of State Security, Zemstevs,Censorship, Okhrana and Universities
The opposition up to 1905- The social democrats and the 1903 split, Social revolutionaries and the split between anarchists and revolutionaries, the liberals
Economic reform up to 1905- Bunge to 82 and Vyshnegradsky to 87- introduction of the peasent lank bank, foreign loans, reduction in peasent taxes
Sergei Witte- Sucesses- Industrial growth and foreign investment, growth of cities, the trans Siberian railway Failures- living conditions and relatively small proletariat, tax and ignorance of the peasents and famine, tariffs and debt from loans and how far Russia was behind other already industrialised countries.
Causes of the 1905 revolution Bloody Sunday massacre, the Russo Japanese war, Witte and Peasent unrest, proletariat and the bourgeoise want for poltical power
Why the 1905 revoltuion failed- October manestfesto and isolation of workers, loyalty of e army, loyalty of the elite and his supporters e.g Black Hundreds, Weaknesses of the oppostion
Stolypin and Economic reform- Sucesses- Creation of Kulaks and wager on the strong, Improved agrarian growth, Improvement of the Mirs and PLB, failures- conservatism of the peasents, assassination in 1911, ignorance and worsening condition of the workers
Repression and the Dumas- Stolypins necktie and Marshall law, censorship, the fundamental laws, the electoral law of 1907 and the 3rd/4th Duma, the Vyborg appeal and the 1st and 2nd Duma
Causes of the 1917 Feb revolution- poltical and economic impact of WW1, the Tsar, Tsarina and Rasputin, Lack of army loyalty, Lack of Elite support
Causes of the 1917 October revolution and why the Bolsheviks consolidated power- June offensive, nature of PG, Korlinov Affaire and Kerensky, Lenin and his leadership, Trotsky's organisation. (It is also important to note the importance of the July Days)
Consolidation of power- weaknesses of the whites/oppostion, Lenin's leadership, the treaty of bresk litvosk, Trostky's military brilliance, repression and brutality of the reds.

yeah, i can remember most of it but haven't studied some since january haha, there always seems to be so much content in this unit compared with Stalin, which only really has the power struggle, collectivisation, 5YPs, purges, the great retreat, social realism and the war

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NaomiASuts
Russia is long, I think it's because it's two topic disguised as 1 Russia 1881-1917 and Stalin's Russia to 1953 :s Dodgey sources I hate... I remember I did when I did my GCSE exam and for the final essay section of the paper based on a source the source was one sentence taken from a journal of a guy who was at a one meeting with Hitler... It was the vaguest thing to make students base an essay on. That's the thing about these essays sometimes that I don't like, too much evidence and not enough arguing, the conclusion paragraph is always the best to write :smile:

Oh my yeah, I remember the sources. Some where just horrible :/ yeah I agree. The worst bit is, some of the past papers don't even have the sources attached to them. I wanted to do some past papers but I couldn't due to this, so I did the ones in the book instead.
Reply 26
Hi, I am doing Option D, politics, presidency and society 1968-2001
and Option C, crimea, boer and ww1
Reply 27
I do Unit 1: CIvil Rights & Korea & VIetnam - love learning it, but can't seem to get my essay style right - highest mark has been 25, and generally it's around 18-20 :frown: which is a C
I desperatly want an A!
Reply 28
Original post by R_94
Hey guys!

Lol I did the Russian paper, got a C at first but after resitting I got an A (56/60) :biggrin:
First time round I only like made notes from the text book, didn't really do past questions except for some we did in class. Second time round I re-learned everything in detail and then planned past paper questions then did loads and got a few marked. I would say the key things would be to have specific knowledge and examples - also be extremely familiar with the exam questions (many themes are reoccurring throughout the papers) and essay structure is really important. The paper usually has like 2 broad questions and 2 specific questions (If I remember correctly)
If anyone wants more specific help on this paper, feel free to ask :smile:

Hi, could you help me with using specific detail, my teacher always says that I have a good grasp of the question but I am not backing my points with good evidence. I am also unsure if my approach to th structure of my essay will give me the best marks, so if you have any notes still, I would love to use them-this would really help.
Whats gunna come up in the unit 1 russian exam ?????? Need to know because not done any revision and will have to just revise that
Reply 30
is anyone doing Mao and Civil Rights??
Any ideas on the essay questions???
Anybody know a basic exam question structure for the Exam on Tuesday?
Reply 32
Original post by getoom
Anybody know a basic exam question structure for the Exam on Tuesday?

Introduction
- state line of argument
- overall conclusion (I know, in the introduction??)
- don't list the points, briefly mention their importance in relation to each other

Main
3-5 paragraphs, one reason/thing each paragraph. Every one including:
- Dates/facts and figures
- relate to question
- why it is significant/important etc.
- why it is more significant/important than other points (here link argument to next point to link paragraphs)
- on paragraphs which is not the most important reason, say why it isn't

Conclusion
- Make sure you say which is the most important/significant reason out of the 3-5 reasons.
- summary of argument
- wrap up
Reply 33
Original post by Robinbird
I do Unit 1: CIvil Rights & Korea & VIetnam - love learning it, but can't seem to get my essay style right - highest mark has been 25, and generally it's around 18-20 :frown: which is a C
I desperatly want an A!

I was in the exact same situation. Just got an essay back at a strong A. See above for answer structure.
Original post by Mr Faust
Introduction
- state line of argument
- overall conclusion (I know, in the introduction??)
- don't list the points, briefly mention their importance in relation to each other

Main
3-5 paragraphs, one reason/thing each paragraph. Every one including:
- Dates/facts and figures
- relate to question
- why it is significant/important etc.
- why it is more significant/important than other points (here link argument to next point to link paragraphs)
- on paragraphs which is not the most important reason, say why it isn't

Conclusion
- Make sure you say which is the most important/significant reason out of the 3-5 reasons.
- summary of argument
- wrap up

You mean the mentioning of the other points that you are going to write, right? :smile:
Reply 35
Original post by justanotherindigo
You mean the mentioning of the other points that you are going to write, right? :smile:

yes
Heeeyy!
I did unit one in January on women and suffrage and unit 2 is on the 14th and I'm doing Italy and Germany!

Goodluck to everyone, though.
Sooo nervous 4 this exam!! I hope the option if questions are good......how important is it to have detailed evidence for every point made? And does evidence only mean numerical statistics or can it also mean important facts and quotes?

Posted from TSR Mobile
http://www.scribd.com/doc/139281838/A-Timeline-of-the-Black-Civil-Rights-movement-From-1953-1968

For anybody doing the America Unit (d3 or d5 cant remember) here is a timeline of the civil rights movement from 53 to 68.
Doing Unification of Italy and Rise of Mussolini & Fascism. Sat it last summer and got a B (74), aiming for around 80 this time. Pretty confident on unification, not so much on Mussolini though!

Latest

Trending

Trending