The Student Room Group

What A-Levels do I need?

I've been accepted into Sixth Form, however I am planning on changing my A level selections to pursue a career in computer programming.

I've decided:

Computing (Obviously)
Maths
Physics
English (I heard it's good for getting into uni)

Would these be enough?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ComicalMo
I've been accepted into Sixth Form, however I am planning on changing my A level selections to pursue a career in computer programming (e.g. Developing Video Games or Programs)

I've decided:

Computing (Obviously)
Maths
Physics
English (I heard it's good for getting into uni)

Would these be enough?

They sound ideal to me.

If you're good at maths you could consider Further maths, either as well or instead of English, but bear in mind some universities don't see it as an extra subject (besides having a humanities subject is useful, and makes a nice change in work patterns). A lot of the concepts in FM could be useful in computing.
(edited 10 years ago)
Go to some University websites and look what the 'Admissions Requirements' are for the course you want to do - these will be specific grades in specific subjects and will be different for each University. University of Salford has a course called 'Computing and Video Games'- could be good place to start.

A good website to see what courses are offered where is www.whatuni.com Just enter a keyword like 'games' or 'video' etc and Search. This will give you a long list of possible courses/Unis.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest