The Student Room Group

How much money should be budgeted for food?

When at university, how much of my income will be spent on food/drink (Not recreational).

I am trying to tell whether catered halls is good value for money or not.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anywhere from £10-£25 per week for food and drink I would say. It depends on your tastes, how expensive you like to buy, if you eat out a lot. Some people might spend more. If you buy fresh meats and branded food for example, you will pay more than someone who buys frozen meat and value range food.
Reply 2
yes self catered would appear to be better but it depends how many meals/how much food catered offer you.
Reply 3
Original post by Movember
Anywhere from £10-£25 per week for food and drink I would say. It depends on your tastes, how expensive you like to buy, if you eat out a lot. Some people might spend more. If you buy fresh meats and branded food for example, you will pay more than someone who buys frozen meat and value range food.

£10-£25 per week? Thanks for giving me hope :-)

I am an International student, and always had nice home cooked food through out my life. This is the first time I m having food outside and The cost of accommodation, tuition, travel, visa, etc has almost brought me to the limit that i can spend..

I am glad you said £10-£25 per week, even if I take £25 per week to be max, I can peacefully concentrate on my studies.

But I have no idea how to keep it between £25 per week.. Could you help with your suggestion?

I will be staying in one of the Unite Halls at Glasgow and I am going to the University of Glasgow. I will reach UK by the end of this month.

All your suggestions would be a great help.

Thanks in advance.
Reply 4
Original post by Chenpan

But I have no idea how to keep it between £25 per week.. Could you help with your suggestion?

Make your own food. It's cheaper to make your own food than it is to buy it ready made. Buy things like pasta and rice in bulk.
Reply 5
Original post by OU Student
Make your own food. It's cheaper to make your own food than it is to buy it ready made. Buy things like pasta and rice in bulk.

Guess I have to learn to cook after all :smile:.. Thanks for the reply :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Chenpan
Guess I have to learn to cook after all :smile:.. Thanks for the reply :smile:

In addition to buying in bulk, i suggest you cook in bulk too and then freeze portions of it to have on other days. Saved me a fortune at uni and I got to enjoy nice home cooking when I didn't really feel like cooking..

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 7
Original post by manga
In addition to buying in bulk, i suggest you cook in bulk too and then freeze portions of it to have on other days. Saved me a fortune at uni and I got to enjoy nice home cooking when I didn't really feel like cooking..

Oh ok.. Will try that.. :smile: Thank you

I've never ever had frozen food. Will try for sure :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by manga

:yes: I had two days a week where I'd finish uni at 6.30. I didn't want to come home and cook.
Reply 9
I'm aiming for around £20-£25 a week.
Reply 10
Original post by deedee123
I'm aiming for around £20-£25 a week.

^^ The same.. In case you have a plan to achieve, and if it is possible to share that, please do. Would help me greatly.

Though I have never been to the UK and will be arriving only by the end of the month. Would love to pre-plan as much as possible :smile:
It will depend on what/how much you eat.
You could always try making a note of all the food you eat for a week at home and see how much it comes to.
I would suggest meal planning. That way you know what to buy each week and you won't hopefully waste food. My budget was £25 a week. But that included cleaning stuff if I needed it.
Original post by Chenpan
^^ The same.. In case you have a plan to achieve, and if it is possible to share that, please do. Would help me greatly.

Though I have never been to the UK and will be arriving only by the end of the month. Would love to pre-plan as much as possible :smile:

well im going to eat porridge for breakfast, you can get a months worth of porridge oats for £2 :smile: going to buy frozen berries as well to keep the cost of fruit down as its really expensive un frozen :tongue:
Be aware that some "catered" halls will only give you so many meals per week. It may not include weekend food, so you'll have to spend more on going out and buying things like sandwiches because you won't have a kitchen to prep food in.

Depending on how lavish you're feeling, £30 could probably do it.
Reply 15
well im going to eat porridge for breakfast, you can get a months worth of porridge oats for £2 :smile: going to buy frozen berries as well to keep the cost of fruit down as its really expensive un frozen :tongue:

Thank you very much for the info.. Will surely add it to my list :smile:
Reply 16

I hope you like your oatmeal with water because you'll go through milk like crazy otherwise.
Reply 17
I don't think you're gonna have a healthy diet at 10-25 pounds a week like people suggested. I think 30-35 for a good and balanced diet + good quality food is more realistic.
Original post by tjsmith94
I hope you like your oatmeal with water because you'll go through milk like crazy otherwise.

i've always made it with water and put milk on top, i don't know any different.
Reply 19
I spend £60-70 every two-three weeks, and that includes buying meat, fresh veg and whatnot.

My boyfriend is round my house a lot so I basically buy for two people out of this budget, and can make a lot of yummy things out of it too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending