The Student Room Group

Is £1700 enough for 1 term to live on?

Im curious for my first term would this be enough for me to survive on for the first term?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What uni? Accommodation included in that budget or is that budget excluding accom?
Are you commuting? What are your commuting costs? So many factors need to be addressed really for anyone to help
Original post by ALEreapp
What uni? Accommodation included in that budget or is that budget excluding accom?
Are you commuting? What are your commuting costs? So many factors need to be addressed really for anyone to help

Also how long is the term. Are we talking a whole semester (whole 8-15 weeks), until the next holidays (September/October to Christmas holidays for example) or 6-8 weeks (like was the case in secondary school)?
Reply 3
Septmber to january, in london and i would love close by so i wouldnt have to use transport
Reply 4
I already deducted the pay for accomodation so im just left with 1700 afterwards
Original post by Anonymous
Septmber to january, in london and i would love close by so i wouldnt have to use transport

As above... Does the £1700 include payment for accommodation?
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by ageshallnot
As above... Does the £1700 include accommodation?

VVV
I already deducted the pay for accomodation so im just left with 1700 afterwards
Original post by Talkative Toad
VVV

Ah, my question crossed with the OP's clarification.

So £1700 for 4 months? Easily enough.
Reply 8
Ah, my question crossed with the OP's clarification.

So £1700 for 4 months? Easily enough.

Oh thank god, i was worried it may not be enough
Oh thank god, i was worried it may not be enough

What did you imagine spending it on?
Reply 10
What did you imagine spending it on?

So i imagine spending money on food which may be 200 a month. So ill havr 900 left
Reply 11
So i imagine spending money on food which may be 200 a month. So ill havr 900 left

If as a single person you are spending over 200 a month on food shopping (no eating out) I think you need to look at what you are buying. £50 a week is a lot on food, it can easily be done much cheaper with meal prepping, bulk buying etc if you are wanting to save money.
If you’ve got the budget for £50 a week then go ahead!

You should be able to comfortably live on that if your accommodation and utilities (!) are covered already :smile:

Just be mindful of splurging it all at the start of term and having to live off generic brand microwave noodles the rest of term!
Reply 13
Original post by ALEreapp
If as a single person you are spending over 200 a month on food shopping (no eating out) I think you need to look at what you are buying. £50 a week is a lot on food, it can easily be done much cheaper with meal prepping, bulk buying etc if you are wanting to save money.
If you’ve got the budget for £50 a week then go ahead!

Oh i see, u guess your right coz things like buying rice and other things will last me longer so i wouldnt have to purchase that every week.
Reply 14
Original post by artful_lounger
You should be able to comfortably live on that if your accommodation and utilities (!) are covered already :smile:

Just be mindful of splurging it all at the start of term and having to live off generic brand microwave noodles the rest of term!

Haha yeah those noodles dont sound bad tho, with some eggs its quick easy and delicious. Just not nutritious....
I have heard that you will need to spend money on using the washing machine on campus
I have heard that you will need to spend money on using the washing machine on campus

Did you think it was going to be free?
Haha yeah those noodles dont sound bad tho, with some eggs its quick easy and delicious. Just not nutritious....

Yeah there will probably be a laundry room in your halls, if you are living in halls first year, which you will need to pay for. I recall my first year of uni 20p coins were worth their weight in gold for that reason lol (as for some reason it didn't accept any other kind of coin!).

But yeah I think particularly if you're living near the campus and so aren't spending 40 minutes a day commuting by tube, with just being mindful of spending habits you'll be able to live comfortably (for a student) on that without having to worry excessively about the occasional splurge or night out :smile:
Reply 17
Yeah there will probably be a laundry room in your halls, if you are living in halls first year, which you will need to pay for. I recall my first year of uni 20p coins were worth their weight in gold for that reason lol (as for some reason it didn't accept any other kind of coin!).

But yeah I think particularly if you're living near the campus and so aren't spending 40 minutes a day commuting by tube, with just being mindful of spending habits you'll be able to live comfortably (for a student) on that without having to worry excessively about the occasional splurge or night out :smile:

Ohh yh thanka for the tip lol. I did think it was going to be cheaper to use the washing machines
Ohh yh thanka for the tip lol. I did think it was going to be cheaper to use the washing machines

Well, probably not really cheaper all things considered but there isn't probably much other option than going to a laundromat (which is quite possibly more expensive, and even if not when you account for the hassle of getting there and back with all your stuff, probably about the same effective value). When you move into a private rental after first year which will usually have a washing machine in the individual flat/house that you are sharing, it's just whatever the cost of the electricity and water are (which I wager are less than the coin operated machine costs!).

Also you won't have the dual frustration of arriving to find they're all finished the cycle but still full of people's wet, clean laundry they haven't picked up yet, or that you arrive 30 seconds after yours finished the cycle and find someone has dumped your laundry all over the floor...
Reply 19
Well, probably not really cheaper all things considered but there isn't probably much other option than going to a laundromat (which is quite possibly more expensive, and even if not when you account for the hassle of getting there and back with all your stuff, probably about the same effective value). When you move into a private rental after first year which will usually have a washing machine in the individual flat/house that you are sharing, it's just whatever the cost of the electricity and water are (which I wager are less than the coin operated machine costs!).

Also you won't have the dual frustration of arriving to find they're all finished the cycle but still full of people's wet, clean laundry they haven't picked up yet, or that you arrive 30 seconds after yours finished the cycle and find someone has dumped your laundry all over the floor...

Yh i guess that is true,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending