The Student Room Group

AS-Level English Literature OCR Exam

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GeneralStudent95
Yes, that is an explicit alternative view so it would be accepted. I would argue that critic quotes and theories are more high level than individual analysis, but that is just my opinion. Might be worth learning a handful of quotes

So, a good way to incorporate a theory would be...

However, a feminist reader would alternatively take the view that... [blah blah blah].

Thanks for this!

I'm doing Dorian Gray and Yeats.

For my mock on Dorian Gray, I did an essay on Wilde's presentation of women and got an A. OMG I am praying that women come up, it's easy to talk about, yet you can take it to such a high level! (And I have all the context/AO3 notes on it) :wink:

I have no idea which poem will come up. Personally, I'm rooting for: Leda and the Swan/The Cold Heaven/The Stolen Child. I just find that there's so much to talk about! If In Memory of/Among Schoolchildren come up, I will die.
Original post by ArtisticFlair
So, a good way to incorporate a theory would be...

However, a feminist reader would alternatively take the view that... [blah blah blah].

Thanks for this!

I'm doing Dorian Gray and Yeats.

For my mock on Dorian Gray, I did an essay on Wilde's presentation of women and got an A. OMG I am praying that women come up, it's easy to talk about, yet you can take it to such a high level! (And I have all the context/AO3 notes on it) :wink:

I have no idea which poem will come up. Personally, I'm rooting for: Leda and the Swan/The Cold Heaven/The Stolen Child. I just find that there's so much to talk about! If In Memory of/Among Schoolchildren come up, I will die.

Yes, that is perfect for introducing a view according to a literary theory.

I am doing Frankenstein so wouldn't know anything about Dorian Gray. However for Yeats I agree the poems you listed are likely but Easter 1916 and September 1913 are also very likely so don't forget them :smile:
Hey everyone

I was just wondering, does anybody have any idea what questions will come up for Dorian Gray?
So far there's been:
Moral and spiritual corruption
Life and art
Class setting
Time

I reckon that either women will come up, elements of Gothic novels, duality or innocence. Maybe aestheticism too?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 103
Exam is getting closer and closer, getting so nervous now :tongue: I really hope something about Gothic does come up for Frankie, I've got so much good stuff to say about it now!
Original post by NiallD
Exam is getting closer and closer, getting so nervous now :tongue: I really hope something about Gothic does come up for Frankie, I've got so much good stuff to say about it now!

uh oh! gothic is the one thing i find hard, what would you say for it?X
Original post by DaniT12345
Do we have to memorise critic quotes for the Frankenstein essay? I'm having trouble learning quotes from the actual novel, let alone critic ones!

Yes and no.
AO3 includes:
-Critical opinions about the text.
-Other readings of the text. (Political/Freudian/Feminist/Marxist e.t.c)
-Alternative views to your argument.

So, if you make your language/structure/form point about your quotation, and argue it's relevance to the question, and then offer an alternative view, you're hitting AO3. Same as if you point out that your point is offering a different perspective/reading, like a typical feminist view e.t.c.

Still, I'd try and get all 3 forms of AO3 in there, just so you can explicitly show you can hit the point. You don't have to necessarily learn the critic's name or the quote world-for-word. If worst comes to worst, just say 'One view is...' or 'One critic argues...' and continue. They are not going to check that you've quoted a critic correctly, they just expect your point to be relevant to the question and your argument. If you can find them, you can even quote the author of the novel talking about their works (look at the introduction to the text e.t.c) - You might get AO3 and AO4 for that, though I can't be sure.

Also; whether you argue or agree with your critic is technically irrelevant,
as long as you justify your claim.
Reply 106
Easter/September/stolen child or Among School children will come up & is anyone doing Turn of the Screw?
Original post by 8ofClubs
Easter/September/stolen child or Among School children will come up & is anyone doing Turn of the Screw?

Is that just another guess for the Yeats or do you have some kind of inside knowledge which allows you to narrow it down to those said poems?
Reply 108
Original post by 8ofClubs

I am also doing turn of the screw and Yeats! What are you doing to revise?
Anyone doing Yeats and Jane Eyre?

If so PM me! :smile:
Reply 110
does anyone here know anything about grade boundaries? I got 90% in my coursework and now im wondering how many marks i need to secure an A overall for the AS.
Reply 111
Original post by tyranzach
does anyone here know anything about grade boundaries? I got 90% in my coursework and now im wondering how many marks i need to secure an A overall for the AS.

Last year the boundary for coursework was 35/40 for A, 53/60 in the exam. Quite high (unlike physics and chemistry :biggrin:) so if you got 90% in coursework, thats equivalent to 36/40, so you can only go one mark under the A boundary in the exam i.e. 52/60 for an A if the boundaries are like last year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Piguy
Last year the boundary for coursework was 35/40 for A, 53/60 in the exam. Quite high, so if you got 90% in coursework, thats equivalent to 36/40, so you can only go one mark under the A boundary in the exam i.e. 52/60 for an A if the boundaries are like last year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven't been told my official c/w mark but I posted it on here a while ago and the general consensus was that it was 30/40. What do I need for a B? Crap at maths :wink:
Reply 113
Original post by Phil Dunphy
I haven't been told my official c/w mark but I posted it on here a while ago and the general consensus was that it was 30/40. What do I need for a B? Crap at maths :wink:

46/60 for a B then if you got 30 in coursework - so 23/30 for each essay

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/16472-unit-level-raw-mark-grade-boundaries-june-2012.pdf
Reply 114
I REALLY hope The Second Coming is the poem in the exam, and for Dorian Gray hope it's about Aestheticism or Romanticism or else I will fail :P
Reply 115
Original post by maxtate
I REALLY hope The Second Coming is the poem in the exam, and for Dorian Gray hope it's about Aestheticism or Romanticism or else I will fail :P

Have your teachers made predictions on the poems/ or on DG?
Reply 116
Original post by Lizy
Have your teachers made predictions on the poems/ or on DG?

I don't think we narrowed it down much, we eliminated Among School Children and Irish Airman because of the lengths of them, and Cold Heaven because of the difficulty of it but not really, Dorian Gray he guessed it would be a themed one, what about you?
Reply 117
Original post by charlieblairxx
uh oh! gothic is the one thing i find hard, what would you say for it?X

I'd probably say that Shelley uses the gothic conventions almost in a parodical way and uses them to say something about society, for example The Creature is presented as the monster, but you can make clear distinctions of him appearing more human than everyone else in the novel and Victor in particular - therefore Shelley could be suggesting that modern society is the real monster :smile:

Original post by maxtate
I don't think we narrowed it down much, we eliminated Among School Children and Irish Airman because of the lengths of them, and Cold Heaven because of the difficulty of it but not really, Dorian Gray he guessed it would be a themed one, what about you?

I think there's a chance that Airman could come up, we did it for our first essay in class and there's actually loads to write about, it's full of techniques and we did it so early as it's actually one of the easiest to write about. I'd still put it below the chances of some of the other poems coming up though. Agree with you about Among Schoolchildren and The Cold Heaven though, can't see either of them coming up.
Reply 118
Original post by NiallD
I'd probably say that Shelley uses the gothic conventions almost in a parodical way and uses them to say something about society, for example The Creature is presented as the monster, but you can make clear distinctions of him appearing more human than everyone else in the novel and Victor in particular - therefore Shelley could be suggesting that modern society is the real monster :smile:

I think there's a chance that Airman could come up, we did it for our first essay in class and there's actually loads to write about, it's full of techniques and we did it so early as it's actually one of the easiest to write about. I'd still put it below the chances of some of the other poems coming up though. Agree with you about Among Schoolchildren and The Cold Heaven though, can't see either of them coming up.

Do you still think politics is coming up
Reply 119
Original post by Lizy
Do you still think politics is coming up

Yeah I'd say September 1913 or Easter 1916 in particular are the most likely to come up, I think there's still a chance of something like The Stolen Child or The Second Coming coming up though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending