The Student Room Group

AQA Geography Unit 1 May 14th 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lewissss
I thought this too! Especially the case study on energy however when I read through it about 5 times I realised it wasn't a bad question haha. Grade boundaries should surely be lower than January's though. I had people from upper sixth taking a re sit and they commented on how it was much more difficult than previous years. We can only hope

aha! yess! well this year in jan it was 74 for an A which was the highest ive seen it when looking over past ones. it seems low, but its soo easy to lose marks in the geography exams. i wish i hadnt ran out of time !:'(
Reply 1261
Original post by RichardTaylor
aha! yess! well this year in jan it was 74 for an A which was the highest ive seen it when looking over past ones. it seems low, but its soo easy to lose marks in the geography exams. i wish i hadnt ran out of time !:'(

Surely has to go down, just need to do well on unit 2 now haha
Surely has to go down, just need to do well on unit 2 now haha

well im glad people agree it was harder ! makes me feel better. ooh btw, in the health section there was a 'comment on' Q which had a chart, i assumed it was percentages and used figures and stuff and now worries that using the percent sign in fron of figures will lose me marks. will it??
What the heck was the first question? I'm glad that I'm not the only one who was confused, I'm pretty sure we never learnt that...
I've just decided to use student room die to all the worries and hate for the recent geo exam. The first question on flood magnitude frequency was prob the size and how frequent a flood can be. Anyways did anyone so coast,population,energy,rivers. Firstly I did all my 15 markers with good effort and hopefully my handwriting does not stop the examiner from seeing my quality. Except the coast 15 markers I left that out!!.. for population 15m I mentioned UK ageing population and uganda youth population and mentioned the problems and ways to manage. For rivers 15 mark I mentioned things urbanisation lack of vegatation steep slopes deforestation etc. I fully answered rivers and coast went bad...I only answered acid rain and that sea level graph. For population I couldnt think straight and left out an easy 4 marks on the map reading thing...however I answered the settlement questions about social welfare and economic. Things like need for apprenticeships and scheme to support the poor education and the need for social housing. Anyways I got on to energy issues and answered the small questions. My final 15 energy issues was a bizzare one. Please someone tell me if bad mentioned the right things...firstly I mentioned non renewable resources were being produced by developing countries such as Saudi,Qatar,Iran...oil exporters. And I said that they would use this to develop. I then said that the trend is that medc countries tend to import a lot of energy because they used their own resources to become a medc..good point? Then I mentioned the espo pipeline and said how their is strong trade between Russia and China and mentioned that developing countries like Brazil and China have high energy demand due to to support their growth in various industries. Please someone tell me if I have ****ed myself over by missing a 15 mark or can I still get a b or A?
Original post by megshroom
What the heck was the first question? I'm glad that I'm not the only one who was confused, I'm pretty sure we never learnt that...

neither did we, I completely made my answer up haha
Original post by BayHarborButcher
I swear we didn't learn a local one, we did France and Zimbabwe. I just decided to put random crap about the Wirral, I realllly hope the examiner isn't from the Wirral!

Lol. Same. We didn't do any local too. I used France anyways. Hope they will credit me for that.

Original post by rafe123
literally what are you. are you retarded. its a question about controlling population change, how would explaing ageing and youthful population cover that/
<br />
<br />no I'm retarded the UKs population has changed to an ageing one so to manage this the government has allowed an open boarder policy for the a8 countries, raising the retirement age to 68 to decrease the dependency ratio... Uganda: the ABC scheme to reduce the spread of HIV/AIDS and also to reduce BR in order to reduce the population etc. We have all been taught different things so unless you're an AQA examiner, I don't know why you ffeel it necessary to put other people down
what even was that graph for coasts showing sea level change or something. Never seen that sort of thing ever?
The funny thing is the ageing population and uganda youth and its managements are correct. It's a broad question as it says population change so it can be any sort of change to a population jeez. Can someone please clarify my thread!
What did you all write for the coast 15 mark question!!??? :s-smilie:
Original post by CharlotteEris
what even was that graph for coasts showing sea level change or something. Never seen that sort of thing ever?

That really confused me aswell!
The sea graph is just showing the sea level rise....you just state that in 2007 or whatever other numbers that it rose sharply and gradually on one
Reply 1273
The first question was on magnitude-frequency analysis- that's the frequency of really rare floods, e.g. 1 in 700 years, 1 in 20 years... ring any bells?

Coasts question... one with all the processes shaping the coast?

I did marine erosion with all of the processes etc, and deposition with longshore drift, wind creating sand dunes.

The exam was solid... and I got literally 0 marks on the submergent landform question. 9 possible marks split up into 4 and 5, got 0 because I did a sand dune and then explained how it would be there as a submergent landform and emergent... ergh. Only need 75% to secure my A because I got 93.3ums in Geog2, but I doubt I'll get it somehow. Smashed Energy and Population change 15 markers though :smile:
Original post by megshroom
That really confused me aswell!

with the outline of a man? half the things on that exam I'd never seen before
Reply 1275
Igotavoice - it was showing predicted sea level change from 1994/1997 or whenever it was onwards from two different sources, it was spread up the y-axis because it predicted it to be anywhere between that point.
Reply 1276
[INDENT]
Original post by Ghost09096
What did you all write for the coast 15 mark question!!??? :s-smilie:

Deposition of long shore drift, spurn point and flamborough head being eroded which I used to explain transportation methods also
Original post by hsuffolk
Igotavoice - it was showing predicted sea level change from 1994/1997 or whenever it was onwards from two different sources, it was spread up the y-axis because it predicted it to be anywhere between that point.

well I put something about sea levels rising, but the key for that graph confused me too
Reply 1278
It was confusing... I think that's the point, something confusing we have to interpret. Don't worry, it's one of those things where most people will flop it... I flopped some really daft questions myself!

Deposition of long shore drift, spurn point and flamborough head being eroded which I used to explain transportation methods also

Did you say that the deposition of long shore drift forms any landforms, like a spit?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending