The Student Room Group

AQA Geography Unit 1 May 14th 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1340
Original post by 6formsce
I know!!!! It was the most confusing and horrible question they could have given us! That eskers question was just as bad, completely mucked up the entire section. :mad: I pretty much just blagged the entire paper in the end :/

I need either the questions on the exam or an unofficial mark scheme need to know how much i flopped think i gonna be on A/B grade boundary wanted full ums :angry:
Reply 1341
Original post by mashaw
I need either the questions on the exam or an unofficial mark scheme need to know how much i flopped think i gonna be on A/B grade boundary wanted full ums :angry:

I don't think I want to know how much I failed! I think I'll be lucky to end up with a D! But best of luck on results day mate! Hopefully we've all done better than we think, and AQA will have realised they were prats and lowered the grade boundaries :cool:
Original post by mashaw

I second this, if anyone has access to the paper then please post it. thanks
I don't think I want to know how much I failed! I think I'll be lucky to end up with a D! But best of luck on results day mate! Hopefully we've all done better than we think, and AQA will have realised they were prats and lowered the grade boundaries :cool:

This was seriously the worst paper I've ever sat in my life. Hoping they move the grade boundaries or I'll have a mini breakdown on results day...
Flopped first two questions on Rivers, population sucked... What the hell was a local case study on health? I wrote about the UK!! And i didn't understand the socioeconomic and social welfare questions!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bumbakrak
Flopped first two questions on Rivers, population sucked... What the hell was a local case study on health? I wrote about the UK!! And i didn't understand the socioeconomic and social welfare questions!

Posted from TSR Mobile

For my local case study I used Southend because that is where I live, it was the last specification point on health so your teacher should have done something on your local borough, did you not?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sure the specification definitely say something like 'a local case study on the provision of health care' I think it's for age, gender and wealth? I wasn't sure in the exam, so I went with Birmingham, which is kind of local :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1347

Posted from TSR Mobile

The first two questions were on 'magnitude frequency analysis' it was just the frequency of the rare floods occuring, e.g. a really high magnitude, 1 in 700 years, etc. Only a few marks though. Totally screwed up the submergent feature though... 9 marks instantly lost there because I didn't draw one. -.-
Reply 1348
Original post by rickyy
Any tips for GEOG2?

I took this in January and got 56/60 - 93.3 ums.

All you can do is make sure you smash those fieldwork questions... do them over and over in your spare time until you have them cracked down.
Don't learn radian diagrams- they came up in January, alongside the diagrams displaying the relative population/scarcity of different plants on a beach, like marram grass.

They asked for ICT skills too, but that's no issue, just learn it tbh.

Not a hard exam if you prepare right for it!
Original post by mahatma ghandi
They're very useful yes, but it doesn't say anywhere in the mark scheme that they're essential to get into a particular level.

I'm pretty sure a conclusion isnt needed.the question given were factors affecting river discharge. Population was name 2 countries of different development and explain how they manage the population....there is no need to conclude...what would you be conclusing. And energy issues was about supply,trade,consumption and asked for the global pattern....it seems harsh to conclude. I've had 15 of 15 with my teachers marking without conclusion....it's all about keywords and obviously explaining.
Reply 1350
Original post by igotavoice
I'm pretty sure a conclusion isnt needed.the question given were factors affecting river discharge. Population was name 2 countries of different development and explain how they manage the population....there is no need to conclude...what would you be conclusing. And energy issues was about supply,trade,consumption and asked for the global pattern....it seems harsh to conclude. I've had 15 of 15 with my teachers marking without conclusion....it's all about keywords and obviously explaining.

We've been taught you NEED a conclusion - it's an essay so you need to have a good structure. You can get marks without but you won't get the higher bands. I'm surprised your teacher gave any 15 out of 15s - gives you a false sense of security: there are always things you can improve on to make it a faultless essay.
Original post by hsuffolk
I took this in January and got 56/60 - 93.3 ums.

All you can do is make sure you smash those fieldwork questions... do them over and over in your spare time until you have them cracked down.
Don't learn radian diagrams- they came up in January, alongside the diagrams displaying the relative population/scarcity of different plants on a beach, like marram grass.

They asked for ICT skills too, but that's no issue, just learn it tbh.

Not a hard exam if you prepare right for it!

It is out of 50 - and you obviously don't know how UMS works - if that was your raw mark (56/60) you would get Full UMS
Reply 1352
so how is everybody feeling about the skills, I'm a bit more nervous about that one because it is generally my weaker paper :/
Original post by Zozzy
so how is everybody feeling about the skills, I'm a bit more nervous about that one because it is generally my weaker paper :/

You should be aware of the following methods of Data presentation
Flow line maps
Desire line maps
Trip line maps
Chloropleth maps
Isoline maps
Dot maps
Bar and line graphs
Scatter graphs
Pie charts
Triangular graphs
Kite diagrams
Radial diagrams
Logarithmic scale graphs

There's a great section in the A2 book with information on these and how to use them, I know the exams only in a week but I recommend getting hold of the book and reading through this section!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Melissajwilson

Flow line maps
Desire line maps
Trip line maps
Chloropleth maps
Isoline maps
Dot maps

Posted from TSR Mobile

You should also be aware that all of those are example of GIS, is in the spec that you should know GIS.
Original post by Zozzy

I'm feeling relaxed, got 50/60 first time round. I don't really know why i'm retaking but hey :smile:
Reply 1356
Original post by kategreen38
This was seriously the worst paper I've ever sat in my life. Hoping they move the grade boundaries or I'll have a mini breakdown on results day...

Definitely the hardest paper I've ever sat too. Sucked. Not to sure about the mini break down on results day, I had that leaving the exam room haha
Reply 1357
Original post by Kgriffin13
For my local case study I used Southend because that is where I live, it was the last specification point on health so your teacher should have done something on your local borough, did you not?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was for a local borough? I thought it was asking for an approach to healthcare? Oops. My bad. Marks for relevant topic maybe? Haha
It was for a local borough? I thought it was asking for an approach to healthcare? Oops. My bad. Marks for relevant topic maybe? Haha

I wrote about approach to healthcare to NHS! If it was for a local borough they didn't exactly word it right.
Original post by clareramos
You should also be aware that all of those are example of GIS, is in the spec that you should know GIS.

Uhhh what's GIS

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending