The Student Room Group

AQA Physics Unit 1 PHYA1 20th May 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NabRoh
I checked there aren't. But there was a year where there were two 6 markers... yeah.

They are indeed. Its almost silly that they have the "Exclusively endorsed by AQA" sign on them.

Argh, that's really annoying. I hope we don't get two! :frown:
Are most people here doing resits or sitting this paper for the first time?
Original post by jazzynutter

(Our teachers give us no help whatsoever when it comes to the ISAs, we're just thrown in - which, being an exam, is technically how it should be done - but they just don't appreciate how ridiculous the grade boundaries are due to the fact that every single school other than ours cheats in them........ :mad:)

Don't be so sure, our school doesn't cheat either and literally no-one bar maybe 3/25 got marks equivalent to an A from the last ISA boundaries, it's a bit of a piss take tbh
Original post by BayHarborButcher
Are most people here doing resits or sitting this paper for the first time?

I'm sitting the paper for the first time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by x-Sophie-x
I'm sitting the paper for the first time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aha I did the Jan 13 exam, it was really easy but I somehow cocked up and got 1 UMS of an A :frown: Got my paper back, lost 7 marks by somehow getting the specific charge all wrong and the resistance of the circuit! Was fuming. I'm dreading unit 2 though
Aha I did the Jan 13 exam, it was really easy but I somehow cocked up and got 1 UMS of an A :frown: Got my paper back, lost 7 marks by somehow getting the specific charge all wrong and the resistance of the circuit! Was fuming. I'm dreading unit 2 though

Same, I hate mechanics so much.
The wave/optics stuff is quite nice though.
Reply 106
Does anyone know what sort of experimental examples we should know for the 6 markers on the unit 1 exam? I'm alright with the photoelectricity ones but in Jan 10 Q5b and May 09 Q5a there are two which ask you to draw circuits to test for resistivity and finding the VI characteristic for a semi-conductor diode?!
What else should I know? Are these questions just one-offs?
any of you lot know where i can find the 2013 jan past paper unit 2 ?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Kinesis
Does anyone know what sort of experimental examples we should know for the 6 markers on the unit 1 exam? I'm alright with the photoelectricity ones but in Jan 10 Q5b and May 09 Q5a there are two which ask you to draw circuits to test for resistivity and finding the VI characteristic for a semi-conductor diode?!
What else should I know? Are these questions just one-offs?

I think anyone to do with what components are in our syllabus? So resistors, thermistors, LDR's and semi-conductive components? The only one that hasn't been tested is an LDR, I thought that was gonna come up in Jan 13 but I think it was a semi-conductive component.
Same, I hate mechanics so much.
The wave/optics stuff is quite nice though.

I do maths mechanics so I thought mechanics would be alrght, but there are still some bits that are just annoying :s-smilie:
I do maths mechanics so I thought mechanics would be alrght, but there are still some bits that are just annoying :s-smilie:

I've finally gotten the hang of projectile motion, but all the other stuff is mehh. :s-smilie:

I wish our school gave us the option to study mechanics in maths, I'm doing statistics :frown:

I hate electricity as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think anyone to do with what components are in our syllabus? So resistors, thermistors, LDR's and semi-conductive components? The only one that hasn't been tested is an LDR, I thought that was gonna come up in Jan 13 but I think it was a semi-conductive component.

What's a semi-conductive component? It's not a diode is it?

I dont think LEDs will come up because the ISA was based on that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yep, dividing by 3 and multiplying by 2 is the same thing, surely?

15/3*2=10
15/1.5=10

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Could you tell me why you do that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
When an electron is incident on an orbital electron can it have a higher energy than what needed as in photon absorption it has to be the exact amount, no higher or lower, is this the same for incident electrons???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jimmy20002012
When an electron is incident on an orbital electron can it have a higher energy than what needed as in photon absorption it has to be the exact amount, no higher or lower, is this the same for incident electrons???

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think, it can be higher if the atom is ionised and the electron is ionisised as the extra energy is the kinetic energy of the emitted photoelectron. however if its just excited it has to be exact?

Not sure though.
I'd also like it if someone could clarify this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Could you tell me why you do that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because you want to find the period for one wave. The time base for one and a half waves is 15ms, so one wave is 15/3*2 which is 10ms.

So the frequency is then 100hz.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Because you want to find the period for one wave. The time base for one and a half waves is 15ms, so one wave is 15/3*2 which is 10ms.

So the frequency is then 100hz.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where does the 3*2 come from? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Where does the 3*2 come from? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because you split the wave into 3 parts and one wave consists of 2 of those parts.
You divide by 3 FIRST, then multiply by two btw. Or as you said, divide by 1.5.

Posted from TSR Mobile
When an electron is incident on an orbital electron can it have a higher energy than what needed as in photon absorption it has to be the exact amount, no higher or lower, is this the same for incident electrons??? <br />
<br />
<br />
Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
If a proton collided with another proton would the interaction be strong?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes it would be. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending