The Student Room Group

AS-Level English Literature OCR Exam

Scroll to see replies

Original post by maxtate
Hahaa I only thought of it cuz I read a critics 10 page essay on it yesterday so it was basically luck that I found it :biggrin: ahh yeah I forgot the duality :frown: Thanksss! I did this exact essay as a homework so I just remembered my points, I was so happy when I turned the page and saw this poem :P

Same :smile: so let's jus hope it goes well :smile: fingers crossed!!
Reply 341
I was so p***ed when The Second Coming came up but I think I did ok

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did anyone do option B for the picture of dorian gray? I thought it was a pretty good question :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 343
Original post by N3rdbu
did anyone do turn of the screw? I thought the questions were horrible :frown:

They really were, I was going to do the first one but the second one seemed a bit easier. Hopefully I'm not too screwed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone who did Jane eyre hunger, rage, and rebellion question : what were your points?

I did:

Misread it and thought it said about Jane Eyre being completely about rage, rebllion and hunger when it was asking how far is it about r.r.h

Yes it's mostly about hunger, rage and rebellion:
Hunger - literal hunger and hunger for love/acceptance
rage - Rage at the reeds
rebellion - rebelled against social norms by refusing proposal

It's also about
love - Jane /Rochester. St John, etc.
gender (linked it to rebellion) - jane more dominant that st john, refusing proposal.
Original post by Ndella
I was so p***ed when The Second Coming came up but I think I did ok

Posted from TSR Mobile

What were your points? :smile:
Original post by Piguy
Just because I'm Piguy, doesn't mean I have to do everyone's maths for them... Ok maybe it does:p:

To get above 160/200 UMS (an A) overall, you need 54/60 (99/120 UMS) in the exam - thats 27 in each essay

I got 31/40 what would I need please?? :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 347
Original post by Ndella
They really were, I was going to do the first one but the second one seemed a bit easier. Hopefully I'm not too screwed

Posted from TSR Mobile

I couldn't do the second one (probably because I couldn't actually remember what exactly happened leading up to Miles's death whoops) so I did the first one, I managed to find stuff to say but i'm worried that it was a bit flimsy
Original post by N3rdbu
did anyone do turn of the screw? I thought the questions were horrible :frown:

Yeah I did Ttots it was a disaster! What one did you pick?
Reply 349
Original post by madmax1234
Yeah I did Ttots it was a disaster! What one did you pick?

the one about it being a political fable! you?
Did anyone else find that the Yeats part of the exam went awfully or was it just me? My essay had such an awful structure to it and I feel I made some good points but I repeated myself a lot. I compared it to 5 other poems which is probably too much. Leda and the swan- change of an era, The cold heaven- Ominous tone, September 1913- thoughts on Ireland, Broken dreams-contrasted as the change in the world was expected as being positive, and then sailing to byzantium as they both showed the inevitability of something bad happening. I didn't have time to go through and check my essay properly but when I skim read it I realized I had not included ANY apostrophes?! How much will the examiners eat me for that? I feel so stupid! x
Original post by N3rdbu
the one about it being a political fable! you?

I did that one too! Halfway through I was starting to regret it but I guess I tried my best :smile: Didn't do a lot of AO2 though!
Reply 352
Original post by charlieblairxx
Did anyone else find that the Yeats part of the exam went awfully or was it just me? My essay had such an awful structure to it and I feel I made some good points but I repeated myself a lot. I compared it to 5 other poems which is probably too much. Leda and the swan- change of an era, The cold heaven- Ominous tone, September 1913- thoughts on Ireland, Broken dreams-contrasted as the change in the world was expected as being positive, and then sailing to byzantium as they both showed the inevitability of something bad happening. I didn't have time to go through and check my essay properly but when I skim read it I realized I had not included ANY apostrophes?! How much will the examiners eat me for that? I feel so stupid! x

I found it hard and terrible....wasn't expecting the second coming
In my coursework i got 23/25 and then for the other one 14/15, so 37/40. What would I have needed on each exam paper out of 30? I'm freaking out as the exam I just took went awfully!
Reply 354
Original post by ambitious :)
i got 31/40 what would i need please?? :d :d

a: 55/60

b: 46/60

c: 36/60
Reply 355
Original post by Charlotte1801
Dont worry that sounds good dont forget poetry is interpreted differently by everyone - n u did mention ao2 if u put stanza pattern so even though u didn't put lots of language in u did put sum other ao2 stuff in :smile:
AO1 is argument, critical terminology and fluency
AO2 is language imagery and verse form
AO4 is context

AO3 is critical interpretation

hope this helps :smile:

There's no marks for A03 in poetry, so if you put critics or anything it wouldn't have got you any marks :smile:

Was really happy with how Yeats went, I think most people weren't expecting The Second Coming so it threw a bit of a curveball but I had loads of good stuff to talk about so I was so happy that we got it :biggrin: I think I got loads of good A02 points, I ended up linking to about 8 poems in the end :tongue: (although lots of them were really brief, for example I linked 4 of them to second coming in one sentence) so my A03 should be good, and I think my A01 was pretty good as well so hopefully I did good :biggrin:

Frankenstein was pretty good but didn't go as well, I think I had loads of good ideas but I think I lost a bit of focus on the question at points (I did the one about women) and it was hard to get all of my ideas down in the time so my structure was a bit of a mess, so I definitely lost a few marks for that. Hopefully I didn't lose too many though, and hopefully my Yeats can bring up my overall mark!
Reply 356
Original post by madmax1234
I did that one too! Halfway through I was starting to regret it but I guess I tried my best :smile: Didn't do a lot of AO2 though!

same!! got lots of critic quotes and different readings but barely any ao2 which is beginning to worry me :/ to be honest at my school at least only about 3 or 4 people actually chose that question the rest of the people seemed to go for the one on the ending so that could put us in a good position for going for the more challenging one...
Original post by Piguy

I believe the spreadsheet you uploaded is inaccurate. I don't wanna believe that I need 53 marks for an A :frown:((
Original post by NiallD
There's no marks for A03 in poetry, so if you put critics or anything it wouldn't have got you any marks :smile:

Was really happy with how Yeats went, I think most people weren't expecting The Second Coming so it threw a bit of a curveball but I had loads of good stuff to talk about so I was so happy that we got it :biggrin: I think I got loads of good A02 points, I ended up linking to about 8 poems in the end :tongue: (although lots of them were really brief, for example I linked 4 of them to second coming in one sentence) so my A03 should be good, and I think my A01 was pretty good as well so hopefully I did good :biggrin:

Frankenstein was pretty good but didn't go as well, I think I had loads of good ideas but I think I lost a bit of focus on the question at points (I did the one about women) and it was hard to get all of my ideas down in the time so my structure was a bit of a mess, so I definitely lost a few marks for that. Hopefully I didn't lose too many though, and hopefully my Yeats can bring up my overall mark!

Could you take a look at my points for Yeats? So worried my points were bad... Didn't revise Second coming
Points on page 17 :smile:
Original post by Piguy

Got 28/40 on my c/w. hope to get a c or b, What do i need ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending