The Student Room Group

Economics Unit 2 prediction for 17th may 2013 :)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tigerz

You could also so, privatisation, reducing trade union, education, deregulation
Evaluations: Magnitude, significance of each component, other things equal, consumer/ business confidence. etc

I did deregulation as one and evaluated by saying that most industries in the UK are deregulated so there isn't much of a point in deregulation since it wouldn't be very effective etc. Is this a valid evaluation point?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 481
Did oil prices.

Index question was a bit mean? Hoping I get marks for quoting data.

30 mark essay was an absolute dream though.
Reply 482
For the 30 marker on Q2, I talked about ways of reducing a budget deficit, then evaluated all their effects on the macroeconomics objectives. Is this a feasible way of answering the question? Or would I have to consider the objectives individually and say what effect the budget deficit reducing policies would have?
Reply 483
For the 30 marker could you also talk about investing in infrastructure as a supply side policy as it would create jobs, business can import/export quicker and easier and will stimulate a faster rate of growth

Posted from TSR Mobile
Missed out equilibrium positions on my diagrams damn!
Reply 485
People that are saying extract 2 and figure 2 for question 1 was pointless are wrong. You could have used it to evaluate your corporation tax point in the 30 marker. As you could have said although the reduction in corporate tax would create incentive for companies to invest in capital goods, extract 2 states that investment was low at that period. Therefore it might not be effective. You could also say figure 2 shows that corporation tax in the UK was lower than most countries in the table. Therefore creating incentive for companies from other countries to move to Britain thus leading to an increase in output.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 486
Original post by Clints
People that are saying extract 2 and figure 2 for question 1 was pointless are wrong. You could have used it to evaluate your corporation tax point in the 30 marker. As you could have said although the reduction in corporate tax would create incentive for companies to invest in capital goods, extract 2 states that investment was low at that period. Therefore it might not be effective. You could also say figure 2 shows that corporation tax in the UK was lower than most countries in the table. Therefore creating incentive for companies from other countries to move to Britain thus leading to an increase in output.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep. Said both of these things.
Reply 487
for question 2 30 marker, should i have mentioned the monetary policy to reduce budget defecit, but help objectives
Reply 488
Original post by Spartz
For the 30 marker could you also talk about investing in infrastructure as a supply side policy as it would create jobs, business can import/export quicker and easier and will stimulate a faster rate of growth

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't write about it, but I think so. Government spending on education & healthcare to increase the productivity of the workforce is what I talked about. (as well as reducing corportation tax & NMW)
Reply 489
What do you think of the grade boundaries for this paper?)
Original post by Youser21

This and when a mark scheme or copy of the paper will be around? Someone must have some idea?
Reply 491
Original post by Brandon_RNS
Yeah you too! What other a levels do you do?

and yeahh 3 months is kind of a stretch smh

TRUST too long! and I do Maths, economics, chemistry and psychology wbu?
Reply 492
Original post by Youser21

It was 65, 59, 53, 47, 47 in Jan. I reckon it'll be similar.
Original post by tigerz
TRUST too long! and I do Maths, economics, chemistry and psychology wbu?

I do the exact same as you but history instead of phychology
Reply 494
Could someone kindly release the questions for question 2 and what you should have put to gain marks. Thx in advance it should help a lot of people and act as a fairly definitive guide.
Reply 495
Seemed like a really easy paper, both questions were really straight forward. There was A LOT to say on both 30 markers, so 30 marks should be no problem.

Some of the 8/12 markers were tricky for each.

Question 1, the first part about calculating an index we hadn't even been taught that! Saw that and instantly went NOPE. Some people still chose to do it in my year though because the rest of the parts in question 1 were easy... but they're sacrificing at least 4-6 marks?
Reply 496
Original post by cyfer
Seemed like a really easy paper, both questions were really straight forward. There was A LOT to say on both 30 markers, so 30 marks should be no problem.

Some of the 8/12 markers were tricky for each.

Question 1, the first part about calculating an index we hadn't even been taught that! Saw that and instantly went NOPE. Some people still chose to do it in my year though because the rest of the parts in question 1 were easy... but they're sacrificing at least 4-6 marks?

Yeah, I did question 1.

The 30 mark question was a lot better for me in that one, as we're the 8/12 markers tbh, so I probably more than made up for those marks dropped.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 497
Original post by YMLT
Yeah, I did question 1.

The 30 mark question was a lot better for me in that one, as we're the 8/12 markers tbh, so I probably more than made up for those marks dropped.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unless you're hoping for full marks in the first place :cool:

Did you know how to do the first part?
Reply 498
Original post by HKhan12
Yea has long as you justified it it should be good. What did u put for th question where I asked give two reason for inflation above its target or something? I said cost push inflation but I think I got my second one wrong because I said lower interest rates

For 2 reasons questions I used extract one where it says average wages have increased and used that to say consumption increases so AD shift to the right leading to higher price levels and inflation

Also talked about investment being a reason as consumers demand more so investment increases and ad does as well leading to inflation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 499
I feel like I've really messed up this exam. I did Q2, started panicking and completely forgot to define things. The living standards question really threw me, I really couldn't think anything. The monetary policy and 30 mark question were okay, since I felt they were the only questions which really allowed you to show off knowledge. :/ I feel like I've really cocked it up. I got an A in January, and I dropping it, but I really wanted an A or a B since maths based things aren't my thing at all. :frown: So upset.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending