The Student Room Group

AQA Physics Unit 1 PHYA1 20th May 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ccashman
Does any one have any idea what the 6/8 marker question will be on? I always lose my marks there ������

There's a common theme in past papers. Most of them either come from finding the resistance (or resistivity) of a component or the photoelectric emission and excitation using photons. There has been one six-mark question on oscilloscopes so that could come up, but apart from that the only slight difference in recent years (since 2008) has been ohmic conductors which is kinda the same as the first i mentioned, just worded differently. I think the six-marker will be on some sort of excitation although it could be on resistance of a filament lamp.
Original post by Jatt.B
Thank you! Also, is tommorow likely to be a harder paper? since most people doing it will be retaking?

I think it will be harder than jan 2013. june papers are frequently harder than jan papers.
Original post by Jatt.B
Thank you! Also, is tommorow likely to be a harder paper? since most people doing it will be retaking?

this is my first time taking it for some reason my school did both units in the summer but its impossible to tell, either way the grade boundaires usually compensate for harder papers, best of luck
Reply 563
Do you think tomorrow's paper will be harder?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by suzan0101

Posted from TSR Mobile

It honestly doesn't matter, just hope for everything you know to come up.
Reply 565
Original post by Sinsevenln
It honestly doesn't matter, just hope for everything you know to come up.

That's true :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

It will be harder than jan 2013.

Marks will be scaled if it's harder or easier, so if you want to be cynical hope that everyone else screws up haha. :tongue:
Original post by Mesutozil
what is electron capture?

In electron capture, a proton inside a proton-rich nucleus interacts with an inner-shell electron to turn into a neutron. It interacts through the weak interaction and the W+ boson is the exchange particle, so a neutrino is also produced.

It can also happen when a proton and an electron collide at high speed.

(W+)
p + e- --> n + v
what chapter of the unit 1 are you guys revising???
Original post by StalkeR47
what chapter of the unit 1 are you guys revising???

any possible 6 markers I'm going though now as that's basically revising all sorts whilst improving my chances of 6 marker success
Does anyone have the Jan 2013 mark scheme they can provide a link to?
Original post by BenChard
any possible 6 markers I'm going though now as that's basically revising all sorts whilst improving my chances of 6 marker success

Good Idea! But in the end, it up to how much the of the stuff you know from each chapter. The more you know, the more you write. But, mark scheme for 6 marker question is also a good idea.
Anyone know where I can get question only on calculations for electrical circuits ??
Original post by Big-Daddy
Does anyone have the Jan 2013 mark scheme they can provide a link to?

last post-----http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2317448&page=27&page=27
How do you guys tend to set out your 6 marker paragraphs?

I remember reading on a mark scheme that bullet pointing it would mean you are unlikely to score top marks.
Reply 576
Original post by Jatt.B

The level of difficulty I was told would be easier as public schools are taking it at the same time as grammar schools, so it would have to account for this, whereas in January I was told it was only grammar schools that do the exams so they tend to be harder.

Just what my teacher said! Not sure if it;s true
Reply 577
Guys, I don't quite understand 5 a. ii on the specimen paper? How exactly is the ammeter protected by the diode?

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PHYA1-W-SQP-07.PDF
Reply 578
Original post by IWantSomeMushu
How do you guys tend to set out your 6 marker paragraphs?

I remember reading on a mark scheme that bullet pointing it would mean you are unlikely to score top marks.

You can bullet point if they do NOT say "quality of written communication" or something along the lines of that, but for the longer questions it's best to write it out fully anyway.

I normally tend to set it out as if I'm writing the method of an experiment, making sure I include why I carry out my measurements in a certain way as I'm going along! Saying like, how I'd ensure accuracy by using a voltmeter or something along the lines of that, then saying how I;d process my results by presenting it in a graph, and then perhaps what the gradient of the graph would represent etc!

It's best to write all that you can think of for the 6 mark experiment questions than write what you think will cover the 6 marks, because that way the examiner will be able to have a wide range of things he can award the 6 marks for!
Reply 579
Original post by Xiomara
Guys, I don't quite understand 5 a. ii on the specimen paper? How exactly is the ammeter protected by the diode?

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PHYA1-W-SQP-07.PDF

The diode protects the ammeter by conducting if the current gets too high! It just acts as another pathway for the current to flow through

Further marks could be for saying as the diode is in the forward bias direction it'd conduct the current when it gets too high, in turn protecting the ammeter
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending