AQA Physics Unit 1 PHYA1 20th May 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by StalkeR47
It will be harder than jan 2013.

How do you know that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 581
Original post by Bixel
The diode protects the ammeter by conducting if the current gets too high! It just acts as another pathway for the current to flow through

Further marks could be for saying as the diode is in the forward bias direction it'd conduct the current when it gets too high, in turn protecting the ammeter

Oh right. So if the current gets too high, the p.d obviously exeeds the threshold voltage, so the diode can conduct, and because current splits in parallel it reduces the amount reaching the voltmeter?

(thanks for your help, by the way!)
Original post by Jimmy20002012
How do you know that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

LOL I just posted someone else's question so I had to delete the post. Well, June papers are usually tougher than January papers. Jimmy I will be back within 20mins... I need some food.
(edited 10 years ago)
If you have to test how resistance of a wire changes with temperature and you use a water bath do you put the whole circuit in or what?
Original post by StalkeR47
LOL I just posted someone else's question so I had to delete the post. Well, June papers are usually tougher than January papers. Jimmy I will be back within 20mins... I need some food.

Really? I have always heard the opposite. My teacher said the Jan papers are harder because they are usually resists. I don't really think there is a pattern. :biggrin:
Reply 585
Guys, im pretty sure the experiment question will be a long question on the photoelectric effect, of why it shows the particle-like nature of waves. Or it could be on how the flourescent tube works. Neither of those topics came up in the Jan 13 paper. If it is an experiment one it could be on how to find the internal resistance of a battery as that hasn't come up yet.
Reply 586
Really confused on Jan 11 question 6d, can anyone help? I thought if it was connected in series then it would be the same current across it, and in parallel then the current splits at the junction?
Reply 587
Has anyone got a good answer to why electrons have a range of kinetic energies upto a maximum value ??
Reply 588
Original post by Didierr
Really confused on Jan 11 question 6d, can anyone help? I thought if it was connected in series then it would be the same current across it, and in parallel then the current splits at the junction?

In series the resistance would increase, and this would lead to a decreased current in the whole circuit.
In parallel, as voltage is the same in all junctions, and as the lamps have similar resistances, the current through the lamp in one junction will be the same as before as I=V/R, where V and R are the same.
Reply 589
Original post by Lukerobbo
Has anyone got a good answer to why electrons have a range of kinetic energies upto a maximum value ??

The energy of the electron relies on the energy of the photon as there is a one to one interaction. (The energy of the photon relies on frequency) After the 1 to 1 interaction work is done by the electron to reach the surface of the metal and so loses energy. This means its maximum kinetic energy is equal to the photon's energy minus the work function (the minimum energy required to remove an electron).
Does anyone have any idea to what the six marker could be? I was thinking internal resistance but I really think it will be on quantum?? What do you think?
Original post by Tit
Quick question: If a proton is the most stable baryon and therefore doesn't decay, how can beta-plus decay (in which a proton decays via weak force into a neutron, positron and neutrino) exist?

It occurs in a proton-rich nucleus, so it is the nucleus which is unstable.
Reply 592
Original post by Lukerobbo

Since E=hf - work function, energy is used to overcome the work function, one photon liberates one electron and the rest leaves as kinetic energy of the released electron. More energy is needed to remove the deeper electrons because work is done below the metal surface therefore there is a range of values.
Original post by xHayley1996
Does anyone have any idea to what the six marker could be? I was thinking internal resistance but I really think it will be on quantum?? What do you think?

internal resistance is too easy just connect an ohmmeter to power supply, possibly emf and internal resistance.
Original post by Nav_Mallhi
Really? I have always heard the opposite. My teacher said the Jan papers are harder because they are usually resists. I don't really think there is a pattern. :biggrin:

But isn't it true that june papers usually have lower grade boundaries:biggrin:?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 595
Original post by BenChard
internal resistance is too easy just connect an ohmmeter to power supply, possibly emf and internal resistance.

It'll most likely be on something related to photoelectric effect
Reply 596
Anyone know how we would set out answering a 6 mark question for how to find out internal resistance?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 597
What experiment could you do related to the photoelectric effect ??
Original post by Tuya
Anyone know how we would set out answering a 6 mark question for how to find out internal resistance?

Posted from TSR Mobile

image.jpg
Original post by Loopset
It'll most likely be on something related to photoelectric effect

my weakest topic, I hate it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending