The Student Room Group

AQA Physics Unit 1 PHYA1 20th May 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FrankB3
I've come over the isotope definition a million times and I always get the two marks in the mark scheme for saying that "same proton number, different amount of neutrons" but I never know how to word it, I find it weird to write "something with the same proton number....". I hate writing "something" in exams as I've been told by many examiners not to do it. Does anyone know how you could word the definition of an isotope better?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I find this too. I say 'atoms of the same element..'

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think you could also say nuclide.

Posted from TSR Mobile
atoms of the same element with the same number of protons, but different number of neutrons.

salters chemistry definitions :smile:
Reply 803
Any one got any good websites for electricity revision?
PLEASE can someone explain the practical aspect of an oscilloscope
Reply 805
Original post by lookbehindyouNOW
PLEASE can someone explain the practical aspect of an oscilloscope

Oscilloscopes are used to show the waveform of the wave that you are measuring. The height of the trough/crest determines the magnitude of the wave. The horizontal length of the waveform shows the time bas
Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 806
I'm panicking.
Reply 807
Original post by lookbehindyouNOW
atoms of the same element with the same number of protons, but different number of neutrons.

salters chemistry definitions :smile:

Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 808
Original post by simon105
I'm panicking.

It's ok just stay calm its an alright exam just don't panic
Reply 809
Original post by FrankB3
I've come over the isotope definition a million times and I always get the two marks in the mark scheme for saying that "same proton number, different amount of neutrons" but I never know how to word it, I find it weird to write "something with the same proton number....". I hate writing "something" in exams as I've been told by many examiners not to do it. Does anyone know how you could word the definition of an isotope better?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My default expression is 'An isotope of an element is made up from...'
Reply 810
Original post by simon105
My default expression is 'An isotope of an element is made up from...'

I try to be bulletproof with this definition, so I say:
Isotopes are atoms of the same element with equal number of protons, but different number of neutrons, and hence different mass number.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 811
Does anyone have a link to the Nelson thornes textbook answers?
"Practical questions" involving circuits: would you say that the potential divider is used to vary the current or the pd? (i.e. is the current the independent or dependent variable here)
Reply 813
Original post by Monster94
Does anyone have a link to the Nelson thornes textbook answers?

http://www.studentcreche.co.uk/showthread.php?t=764&page=1
Reply 814
Original post by jazzynutter
"Practical questions" involving circuits: would you say that the potential divider is used to vary the current or the pd? (i.e. is the current the independent or dependent variable here)

Varies potential difference.
In the marscheme for a ionisation and excitation question, it says the electron receives exactly the right amount of energy in both cases.

Help? I thought in ionisation, the extra energy is the kinetic energy of the electron..? So it doesn't have to be the exact amount of energy..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 816
When you convert MeV into joules, how do you know what to multiply it by? One past paper says 1.6x10-13 and another said 1.6x10-19

The past paper is: jan 2011 question 3

Please help! I want full ums!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by x-Sophie-x
In the marscheme for a ionisation and excitation question, it says the electron receives exactly the right amount of energy in both cases.

Help? I thought in ionisation, the extra energy is the kinetic energy of the electron..? So it doesn't have to be the exact amount of energy..

Posted from TSR Mobile

It does take "extra" Ek from the electron, yes, but it always takes an exact amount of that "extra" Ek because of the discrete energy levels of the atom
Original post by jazzynutter
It does take "extra" Ek from the electron, yes, but it always takes an exact amount of that "extra" Ek because of the discrete energy levels of the atom

So why does the incident photon/electron have to give the atomic electron an exact amount of energy?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sukura
When you convert MeV into joules, how do you know what to multiply it by? One past paper says 1.6x10-13 and another said 1.6x10-19

The past paper is: jan 2011 question 3

Please help! I want full ums!

To convert MeV to J use ten to the minus thirteen.

And to convert eV to J use ten to the minus nineteen.

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending