The Student Room Group

AQA Psychology A - AS: June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nm786
EDIT: it is difficult to prove because:

Then you could go on talking about the limitations of case studies.

Other useful info can be found here: http://www.psychteacher.co.uk/abnormality/psychodynamic-model.html

Thanks, much clearer than before and also for the website!!:biggrin: I didn't know you could mention the limitations of the approaches methods of investigating o.O
Reply 101
Original post by gloriousgloria
Thanks, much clearer than before and also for the website!!:biggrin: I didn't know you could mention the limitations of the approaches methods of investigating o.O

no problem
well as the majority of evidence in this area is from case studies, if you have time in the exam you could talk about the limitations and could earn A03 marks. But, the more important limitations are lacks scientific validity,over focus on sexual issues, determinism and lack of research evidence. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 102
Has anyone got any revision notes/info or can help me on the cognitive approach because I don't think I have enough information ? I know the treatments its just the approach ...
Original post by benson13
Has anyone got any revision notes/info or can help me on the cognitive approach because I don't think I have enough information ? I know the treatments its just the approach ...

This site has good notes: http://www.psychteacher.co.uk/abnormality/cognitive-model.html it has notes on the entire unit.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 104
Original post by gaffer dean
This site has good notes: http://www.psychteacher.co.uk/abnormality/cognitive-model.html it has notes on the entire unit.

Original post by benson13

no problem, btw i'm not sure if you seen it or not but Holy Fuzazzle uploaded these notes:http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=104126&d=1307210975 they're also really helpful!
(edited 10 years ago)
Best I could do, not in order and there may be mistakes throughout, also missing 2 marks. Grade boundaries prediction A 53 B 48 C 43

Research showing difference in STM and LTM (4 marks)
Describe working memory model (4 marks)
Cognitive interview (4 marks)
Learning theory- attachment to mother (6 marks)
Outline and evaluate cultural variations for attachment (12 marks)
Outline research into peer relations (4 marks)
Pilot study, why is was carried out (4 marks)
Independent groups design compared to repeated measures (4 marks)
Outline an ethical issue in which the experimenter must consider before carrying out the experiment on the young children (4 marks)
Range and the median (2 marks)
2 suitable behavioural categories (2 marks)
Observation and how they should be carried out (2 marks)
Memory improvement strategy and how it could be used in the situation (4 marks)
What is attachment (2 marks)
Age and EWT (8 marks)
Why an interview is better than a questionnaire (4 marks)
Original post by Student296
Best I could do, not in order and there may be mistakes throughout, also missing 2 marks. Grade boundaries prediction A 53 B 48 C 43

Research showing difference in STM and LTM (4 marks)
Describe working memory model (4 marks)
Cognitive interview (4 marks)
Learning theory- attachment to mother (6 marks)
Outline and evaluate cultural variations for attachment (12 marks)
Outline research into peer relations (4 marks)
Pilot study, why is was carried out (4 marks)
Independent groups design compared to repeated measures (4 marks)
Outline an ethical issue in which the experimenter must consider before carrying out the experiment on the young children (4 marks)
Range and the median (2 marks)
2 suitable behavioural categories (2 marks)
Observation and how they should be carried out (2 marks)
Memory improvement strategy and how it could be used in the situation (4 marks)
What is attachment (2 marks)
Age and EWT (8 marks)
Why an interview is better than a questionnaire (4 marks)

This was the may 2013 exam? wow, kinda jealous atleast 3 times easier than jan 2013.
Reply 108
I left this entire unit untouched until the start of this month, and think I'll be finished going over all of it once by Wednesday. The question is whether I'll be able to go over the whole thing a second time in 7 days and get it stuck in my head :frown: does anyone have any advice? I have no other exams but it still feels like I need more time :/
Reply 109
Do you think it's wise for me to leave out the psychodynamic approach to abnormality (id, super ego etc)
This was the may 2013 exam? wow, kinda jealous atleast 3 times easier than jan 2013.

They were about the same difficulty, this looks easier as the questions are just an outline of what topic each question was about. Most of the questions had a scenario which you had to apply to your answer so not as easy as it looks here, still pretty easy though apart from the 12 marker which caught me out.
Original post by S4LM4N
I left this entire unit untouched until the start of this month, and think I'll be finished going over all of it once by Wednesday. The question is whether I'll be able to go over the whole thing a second time in 7 days and get it stuck in my head :frown: does anyone have any advice? I have no other exams but it still feels like I need more time :/

I have 2 other exams before this and I’ve not even gone through unit 2 once properly yet, although I’m confident I can still get the A if my cramming pays off, just learn the main points well for each topic.
Original post by S4LM4N

Same with me but I just started revision after my last exams ( the tuesday that just went). Maybe I'm wrong but did you sit the aqa sociology exam too? Im doing half of each of the three topics a day, just by reading then testing myself by typing what I remember on a word document, then doing practice exam question on each. People say reading is the worst form of revision as like 10%? goes in but compared to like mindmaps and flashcards which take hours, im remembering 90% of the info.

I honestly believe a lot of our psychology teachers (ok maybe just mine) are trying to overload us with so much information and its so annoying, telling us we have to remember this and that but I'm convinced we dont. I was reading several examiner reports which I really recommend you do, and many of them were saying students miss out on marks not because they are not aware of information but lack application skills and are not really sure of what the questions ask' them to do. before for example, in like our unit one exam, if I saw a question that said attachment, I'd write probably everything I know about it when it's just asking me to define it.:tongue:
They were about the same difficulty, this looks easier as the questions are just an outline of what topic each question was about. Most of the questions had a scenario which you had to apply to your answer so not as easy as it looks here, still pretty easy though apart from the 12 marker which caught me out.

oo I see, I always find it hard to apply information in the scenario's given, but at least you didn't get an 8 marker on like content analysis which is like a small paragraph in the psychology book I use:tongue:.
oo I see, I always find it hard to apply information in the scenario's given, but at least you didn't get an 8 marker on like content analysis which is like a small paragraph in the psychology book I use:tongue:.

How did you do in Jan if you don't mind me asking, I retook to try and get the A this time round
How did you do in Jan if you don't mind me asking, I retook to try and get the A this time round

I did horrible, I just about got a B (72 UMS), I hate retakes because I cant learn the same thing over again. If it was a multiple choice paper no doubt I would of gotten full marks (Id like to think so anyway aha) but I'm sure I got this grade because of the way I apply info and answer the exam questions:frown:, so I'm working on that now for unit 2. So you must of been really close to an A then in Jan?
Reply 116
Same with me but I just started revision after my last exams ( the tuesday that just went). Maybe I'm wrong but did you sit the aqa sociology exam too? Im doing half of each of the three topics a day, just by reading then testing myself by typing what I remember on a word document, then doing practice exam question on each. People say reading is the worst form of revision as like 10%? goes in but compared to like mindmaps and flashcards which take hours, im remembering 90% of the info.

I honestly believe a lot of our psychology teachers (ok maybe just mine) are trying to overload us with so much information and its so annoying, telling us we have to remember this and that but I'm convinced we dont. I was reading several examiner reports which I really recommend you do, and many of them were saying students miss out on marks not because they are not aware of information but lack application skills and are not really sure of what the questions ask' them to do. before for example, in like our unit one exam, if I saw a question that said attachment, I'd write probably everything I know about it when it's just asking me to define it.:tongue:

Yeah I did the AQA Sociology exam, I spoke to you in the other thread :biggrin: how did it to for you? What other exams have you done?

Anyway yeah I'm just reading off the book and repeating it atm, I have no time for flash cards etc and I see them as pointless tbh :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by S4LM4N
Yeah I did the AQA Sociology exam, I spoke to you in the other thread :biggrin: how did it to for you?

Anyway yeah I'm just reading off the book and repeating it atm, I have no time for flash cards etc and I see them as pointless tbh :tongue:

o! my badd :colondollar:yh I remember noww aha. The name was familiar but you changed your picture so I forgot. My exam went pretty bad, I used all that time to revise, neglecting ma bby psychology and it didn't event turn out so good. How was your exam?
Reply 118
o! my badd :colondollar:yh I remember noww aha. The name was familiar but you changed your picture so I forgot. My exam went pretty bad, I used all that time to revise, neglecting ma bby psychology and it didn't event turn out so good. How was your exam?

The Sociology exam went pretty well but the Psychology one went okay.. I think I messed up a bit on the 12 markers
I did horrible, I just about got a B (72 UMS), I hate retakes because I cant learn the same thing over again. If it was a multiple choice paper no doubt I would of gotten full marks (Id like to think so anyway aha) but I'm sure I got this grade because of the way I apply info and answer the exam questions:frown:, so I'm working on that now for unit 2. So you must of been really close to an A then in Jan?

72 is not bad, I got just a bit higher than that but it was surprising as I hardly done any revision for it, didn't know many studies, didn't even read the textbook once or make any notes and gave up so didn't bother revising for it thinking I'm going to retake this for sure in June. It was just a really good paper and I just wrote everything I could remember from class, anyway good luck for unit 2 I’m sure you'll get the A in this unit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending