The Student Room Group

AQA GCE Geography Unit 3- 7th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

In world cities is it likely that a 40 marker could be SPECIFICALLY about a single urban theme (e.g. Suburbanisation, counter-urbanisation), or would it be that topic as a whole?
Reply 861
Original post by A Wise Ninja
In world cities is it likely that a 40 marker could be SPECIFICALLY about a single urban theme (e.g. Suburbanisation, counter-urbanisation), or would it be that topic as a whole?

Tbh more likely to be specific and that's where everyone will get screwed over cos it might ask LEDC vs MEDC!
I thought last years Geog1 with all the topics and case studies was bad, having done a bit more reading today this is like Geog1 on steroids, could either go really well or just a complete flop depending on what topics you learned the best. Such a horrible style of examining :frown:
Original post by A Wise Ninja
I thought last years Geog1 with all the topics and case studies was bad, having done a bit more reading today this is like Geog1 on steroids, could either go really well or just a complete flop depending on what topics you learned the best. Such a horrible style of examining :frown:

With the case studies, don't worry about learning too many facts. You only need a couple to show the examiner you know what you're talking about. The marks come from being able to analyse, assess and 'comment' on different aspects of Geography.
Reply 864
For tectonics do we need to know laccoliths as well as batholiths. If so could someone please explain the difference?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jade10128
For tectonics do we need to know laccoliths as well as batholiths. If so could someone please explain the difference?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah I guess. well, laccoliths are basically batholiths but smaller and between the strata. :rolleyes: thats kinda how I remember it!
Reply 866
Original post by Daniel George
yeah I guess. well, laccoliths are basically batholiths but smaller and between the strata. :rolleyes: thats kinda how I remember it!

Lol yep, but intrusive came up in jan so doubt it'll come up again :wink: hurrah
Reply 867
Forget the pluton and palisade or whatever it is and that's basically it

OMG THIS IS ONE PLACE WHERE A DIAGRAM IS USEFUL :O
I do Geology so I'd have loved some intrusive igneous questions to come up. The structured will probably be seismicity or tsunami based though.
I remember the first time our teacher was talking to us about dykes. I burst out laughing - it's the way she said it it was so funny - she replied "there are three kind of dykes..."

awkward...well, at least my childish humour has made me remember something useful.
Reply 870
Original post by Axion
Lol yep, but intrusive came up in jan so doubt it'll come up again :wink: hurrah

Im planning on doing the tectonics essay and im betting vulcanicity will come up though haha
And thanks for the diagram! So a laccolith is basically a smaller version of a batholith?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Im planning on doing the tectonics essay and im betting vulcanicity will come up though haha
And thanks for the diagram! So a laccolith is basically a smaller version of a batholith?

Posted from TSR Mobile

pretty much, just intruded between the strata :smile: and same! I think it will be about vulcanicity this year - this is what I am revising over tomorrow :smile:
Reply 872
pretty much, just intruded between the strata :smile: and same! I think it will be about vulcanicity this year - this is what I am revising over tomorrow :smile:

I agree with the vulcanicity particularly with unit 4B being on earthquakes for the June exam. Don't suppose anyone knows what the tectonic essay question was in January this year?
Reply 873

Ok thanks! :smile: yeah I revised seismicity and tectonic theory today. Will finish off vulcanicity tomorrow then tectonics is done. I cant imagine them repeating seismicity - I find it the easiest topic, so much less complex than volcanoes!!
Ok thanks! :smile: yeah I revised seismicity and tectonic theory today. Will finish off vulcanicity tomorrow then tectonics is done. I cant imagine them repeating seismicity - I find it the easiest topic, so much less complex than volcanoes!!

I agree, I think it came up in january? :smile: I'm doing tectonics tomorrow - I did some today, then I will just continuously go over case studies! Although history is taking up a lot of time (so is TSR) haha! :smile:
Reply 875
Original post by NFLAlex
I agree with the vulcanicity particularly with unit 4B being on earthquakes for the June exam. Don't suppose anyone knows what the tectonic essay question was in January this year?

it was about seismicity, whether its influnced by human factors or physical factors :P
Reply 876
I agree, I think it came up in january? :smile: I'm doing tectonics tomorrow - I did some today, then I will just continuously go over case studies! Although history is taking up a lot of time (so is TSR) haha! :smile:

Vulcanicity questions can still induce vomit

Example 40 marker

"With reference to examples, assess how the type and frequency of volcanic activity can influence the nature of volcanic hazards"
can anyone sum up oceanic circulation for me? I know dense hot currents from the equator travel up to the poles and warm the water/air there and less dense cool currents travel/sink down from the poles to the equator, and they're set in motion by the prevailing winds, i'm just not really sure about how they work and stuff, or is that essentially it? :smile:
Original post by GraceCatherine_94
I'm likely to do essay on weather or tectonics and questions on either the above and world cities.
Which cases have you learnt for urbanisation/counter urbanisation / suburbanisation etc :-( we only did Mumbai...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I've got Mumbai for urbanisation, Surbiton in south-west London for suburbanisation and St Ives in Cambridgeshire for counter-urbanisation...they're in the CGP revision guide if you've got it :smile:
Original post by Axion
Vulcanicity questions can still induce vomit

Example 40 marker

"With reference to examples, assess how the type and frequency of volcanic activity can influence the nature of volcanic hazards"

that would be nice?!

firstly I would talk about volcanic activity on a constructive margin (type of lava, characteristics and frequency) then talk about my case study nyrigongo 2002...hazards, previous impacts...

destructive margins " " " and then my etna " " " same structure as above...

but as a counter argument talk about other factors that increase volcanic hazards - population density, economic stability, level protection etc..

how would you do this question?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending