The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JustaDreamer
:eek: Exactly my thoughts! Me and my friends were saying yesterday how he didn't really help medicine, more like regressed it. :biggrin: I can't wait until the end of my history exams...then again, maybe I'll end up weeping over how badly I've done. -.-

Can't wait till theyre all over. :biggrin: then its months of crying over how badly ive done :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MattFletcher
Haha. But galen is the ultimate bell end though. Taking credit for others work and publishing incorrect things.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can't really blame him though.. human dissections weren't allowed so it's logical to assume that animal anatomy is similar to human anatomy because they are both alive. There wasn't exactly any other theories around.

:eek: Exactly my thoughts! Me and my friends were saying yesterday how he didn't really help medicine, more like regressed it. :biggrin: I can't wait until the end of my history exams...then again, maybe I'll end up weeping over how badly I've done. -.-

It's not Galen's fault that nobody had challenged him until Vesalius. It's societies unquestioning attitude.
And I don't agree with him regressing it, It's more stagnation.
Original post by Elm Tree

It's not Galen's fault that nobody had challenged him until Vesalius. It's societies unquestioning attitude.

True I guess, but I don't think he should have assumed that his ideas were right. He did prove the brain controlled the body though, and at least he emphasised the need for clinical observation. I like Vesalius. Even if he is a bit creepy for stealing bodies and the like :s-smilie: :beard:
Can't wait till theyre all over. :biggrin: then its months of crying over how badly ive done :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same here, same here :sigh: :biggrin:
Does anyone else have an android who types by just swiping along the keyboard? I've just discovered how it works! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I use it mixed with my normal typing... It's weird how I type... It's touch and then swype mixed with predictive :tongue:

I think it was mainly the churches fault for only teaching galens ideas and punishing anyone who dared to challenge galens ideas. Vesalius was awesome :biggrin: this convo is actually really good history revision ngl

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sarahiscool
I think it was mainly the churches fault for only teaching galens ideas and punishing anyone who dared to challenge galens ideas. Vesalius was awesome :biggrin: this convo is actually really good history revision ngl

Posted from TSR Mobile

They only taught Galen's ideas because it was the only ideas that were around at the time. I'm not sure if they had a choice... I'd also like to point out that Galen appealed to them because he acknowledged that there was a God, which corresponded to Christianity and Islam. Seeing as he embraced their views they were more likely to respect him. :biggrin:
I don't think they punished anyone who challenged Galen. Science at the time was pretty much banned, so if anyone was caught doing Science (let alone trying to disprove Galen) they would have most likely been killed.

Vesalius was awesome :awesome: and creepy :redface:. If it wasn't for the printing press he wouldn't have received much recognition though...

Posted from TSR Mobile

They only taught Galen's ideas because it was the only ideas that were around at the time. I'm not sure if they had a choice... I'd also like to point out that Galen appealed to them because he acknowledged that there was a God, which corresponded to Christianity and Islam. Seeing as he embraced their views they were more likely to respect him. :biggrin:
I don't think they punished anyone who challenged Galen. Science at the time was pretty much banned, so if anyone was caught doing Science (let alone trying to disprove Galen) they would have most likely been killed.

Vesalius was awesome :awesome: and creepy :redface:. If it wasn't for the printing press he wouldn't have received much recognition though...

Reading all this and recognising that I've revised it makes me smile :smile: Yep, definitely good revision :smile:

I definitely read someone got punished once . Oh god I haven't revised printing press yet :/ thanks for the reminder. I think you have the same textbook as me haha you sound exactly like it
Also how much roman stuff do we need to know , I'm pretty sure I just spent ages revising it for no reason urghh

Posted from TSR Mobile
I definitely read someone got punished once . Oh god I haven't revised printing press yet :/ thanks for the reminder. I think you have the same textbook as me haha you sound exactly like it
Also how much roman stuff do we need to know , I'm pretty sure I just spent ages revising it for no reason urghh

Posted from TSR Mobile

Johann Gutenburg, 1454! :woo: (Even though I'm on AQA)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Purple CGP book? :mmm:

:eek: Yep, as well as a couple of other textbooks my teacher lent us :biggrin:

Yup :biggrin: I also have three amazing textbooks ( my school are very keen and like to give you as many textbooks as possible haha )
Yup :biggrin: I also have three amazing textbooks ( my school are very keen and like to give you as many textbooks as possible haha )

It was only my History teacher that allowed us to take some :redface:
Johann Gutenburg, 1454! :woo: (Even though I'm on AQA)

I really hope I dont need to know random facts like this :s-smilie: i'm sure the AQA course is basically the same as the edexcel one!
It was only my History teacher that allowed us to take some :redface:

Really ? that's so weird , so do you like have to give back textbooks at the end of each lesson ? ... in that case what on earth do you revise from ??? :confused:
I really hope I dont need to know random facts like this :s-smilie: i'm sure the AQA course is basically the same as the edexcel one!

Haha judging by the convo, it sounds like it! :smile: That was just who invented it...it's the only date I remember.
Really ? that's so weird , so do you like have to give back textbooks at the end of each lesson ? ... in that case what on earth do you revise from ??? :confused:

We would just buy our own revision guides that they would recommend or order for us and we pay the school, and our exercise books :smile: and my absolute favourite....PAST PAPERS. :colondollar:
We would just buy our own revision guides that they would recommend or order for us and we pay the school, and our exercise books :smile: and my absolute favourite....PAST PAPERS. :colondollar:

Can't imagine revising the majority of subjects without my textbooks, past papers are fun .... but only when you do well in them :tongue:
Reply 4859
So as the half term holiday comes to an end and the exams resume, I wish everyone all of the success they deserve and hope that you're hard work pays off. I have 10 more GCSE exams and then an ALIS test. Then, all of my exams are done!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest