The Student Room Group

OCR AS Psychology: G542: Core Studies - Wednesday 5th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by >Username<
Thanks. :smile: So, is Piliavin in the psychodynamic perspective as well?

i think it'd be safer to just stick with thigpen and cleckley, and freud for psychodynamic that's what we've been told anyways :-)
Original post by leanne1996
i think it'd be safer to just stick with thigpen and cleckley, and freud for psychodynamic that's what we've been told anyways :-)

Right... But what could you write if the question came up?
Right... But what could you write if the question came up?

errrrm you could say the conflicts of the cost and reward within their mind would effect their choice of how to act in relation to helping the victim because there are rewards to doing so but also costs e.g it is dangerous to help someone who is drunk and these conflicts between the two would effect their behaviour and they may feel less responsible as a result of this? :-)
Thanks. :smile: What about in terms of MPD?

umm.. think it relates to anxieties being repressed, which results in multiple personalities developing through the unconscious? because EW had no conscious awareness of EB..

also psychodynamic assumes that behaviour problems originate from not overcoming stages in childhood (oedipus/electra complex) or from not overcoming conflict between the 3 personalities (ID, ego, superego)

so MPD could be said to be due to people not overcoming theses conflicts/stages maybe?
Reply 744
Original post by jodie.irwin27
jesus. there's loads :L

Kanzi learnt to use the lexigrams from observing his mother, Matata, use the lexigrams. this is why Kanzi acquired more symbols than Mulika - he could have been acquiring symbols during the time he observed Matata

you could talk about the travel plans where Kanzi accurately guided a stranger around the 55 acre forrest

also how Kanzi and Mulika first learnt symbols in an associative context first, like how children learn.

there's sooo much :|

ahaha, I Just hate this study :/ Thankyou though, I wasn't sure whether that was Qualitative data, or just extra stuff! BUT THANKYOUUU
Reply 745
Original post by random1234567
Man im screwed if Baron doesnt come up

LOOOOOL Soo True :/ Umm You know for the happe's starnge stories, Is it only the autistic/as group that does that? :/ Im confused
Original post by --K
LOOOOOL Soo True :/ Umm You know for the happe's starnge stories, Is it only the autistic/as group that does that? :/ Im confused

I believe all groups done Happes as a control for the Eyes Task but the Gender Recognition Task and the Basic Emotion Task were only for group 1 (autistic people)
Reply 747
Original post by Skyscraper15
I believe all groups done Happes as a control for the Eyes Task but the Gender Recognition Task and the Basic Emotion Task were only for group 1 (autistic people)

ThankyouThankyouThankyou :biggrin: Was Really Confused :s
Original post by --K
ThankyouThankyouThankyou :biggrin: Was Really Confused :s

How you feeling for this exam?
Original post by Simran Mars Foster
What do you look for when evaluating the validity of a study? I only have a few points!

We were always told to look at it as "are you measuring what you say you're measuring?" so things that you can look at are:

Generalisability of sample (if intended to be generalised), so perhaps not something like Savage-Rumbaugh, but certainly for a study like Bandura or Samuel and Bryant where the children are all from the same area, for example

Methods of data collection - self-report is likely to have a lot of demand characteristics that could affect the results! Maguire would be high in validity as she used objective quantitative measures

Ecological validity - good studies for this include Piliavin and Rosenhan, whereas those lacking in it include Samuel and Bryant and Loftus and Palmer

Use of concurrent validity to check/confirm the validity of another measurement - Baron-Cohen

Again in terms of methods are issues with bias in terms of the experimenter interpreting results, which can be solved using double-blind testing - again, Maguire is a good one to use here

Reply 750
How you feeling for this exam?

I'm Like Alright Now, everyone has positive beliefs that Baron Cohen will come, Hopefully It does, If Not, We're all dead meat. The only thing now is that I need to keep revising the studies & make sure I Know all the facts, The evaluation - Keep it general. It's the facts that worry me, I'm alright with Section b & c :/ Slightly worried about A though .. What about you? :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 751
What are peoples predictions for section b?! :smile:
Reply 752
Original post by myah_94

Baron-Cohen & Reicher and Haslam... Idk the third one :/ wbu?
Original post by myah_94

If it helps, here's a list I made of how many times each study has come up so far. I did this before the Jan paper but changed it and added on those that came up in January too!

Loftus and Palmer: II
Baron-Cohen: I
Savage-Rumbaugh: II
Milgram: II
Reicher and Haslam: I
Piliavin: II
Samuel and Bryant: II
Bandura: II
Freud: II
Maguire: I
Dement and Kleitman: II
Sperry: I
Thigpen and Cleckley: II
Griffiths: II
Rosenhan: III

So probably good bets are Maguire, Sperry, Reicher and Haslam and Baron-Cohen!
Original post by --K
I'm Like Alright Now, everyone has positive beliefs that Baron Cohen will come, Hopefully It does, If Not, We're all dead meat. The only thing now is that I need to keep revising the studies & make sure I Know all the facts, The evaluation - Keep it general. It's the facts that worry me, I'm alright with Section b & c :/ Slightly worried about A though .. What about you? :biggrin:

Ahh thats good. Same if baron doesnt come up we are screwed also what have you revised for section c?
Reply 755
Ahh thats good. Same if baron doesnt come up we are screwed also what have you revised for section c?

True :/ I'd automatically turn on the laptop after exam & start looking at comments on here haha :biggrin: & Yupp Done that, got notes from mark schemes & other stuff, Typed them up, Just need to go over them now. I made notes for all approaches/Perspectives though except Social- I Hate that one, since Social & Cognitive came up In Jan, Don't think It will come again, so I'm confident on that.. :biggrin: I'm really focusing on Psycho dynamic/ Biological/ Behavioural. What about you?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 756
Hey all! Just put together the questions that came up for baron cohen and physiological approach from past papers so you guys can have a go.

For section B it might be a good idea to change the issue to ecological validity or another issue that is likely to come up eg. how can this study be considered to be low in ecological validity?

For section C a question may be asked about how a study can explain a particular behaviour. A question on sperry has already been asked so this year they may ask about Dement and Kleitman or Maguire
Reply 757
Does anyone have any tips for section A ? :/
In Baron - Cohen do all the groups do the basic emotion and gender recognition task?
[QUOTE=>Username

No only autistic and Tourette's.
Normal participants only take part in eyes task.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending