The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk X

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2100
Nooooooo! Sitting in bed right now which can only lead to one thing: Bad thoughts :sad: And I hate feeling so tired.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kindred
Well i've been to the docs and they've given me more drugs. I now have Propranolol tablets to help with my anxiety during exams. I'm not entirely sure how long i'm meant to take them for but i'll work it out. It doesn't do anything to actually stop the anxiety but it may apparently help with the shaking and things. I don't know if it will help or not but I guess it's worth a shot.
First exams are on wednesday. Hopefully i'll be able to calm my nerves enough to get through. I feel really bad for not doing much revision. It's really important but i've done no work! :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

I take propranolol during exams too - I take one tablet about forty five minutes before the exam is due to start, to allow it time to kick in (I have to be at the exam hall twenty minutes ahead of the scheduled start time, and if I don't feel it working by then, I panic and can't then stop myself having a panic attack). One tablet is normally enough for a shortish exam, occasionally I'll have a long exam (3 hours +) and although the medication should last that long, I can feel the effects wearing off towards the end, so I bring an extra tablet in with me and sit it on my desk, just in case. I've never had to take the supplementary tablet, but knowing that it's there if I need it calms me down.

One thing I would suggest doing beforehand is having a dry run with the tablets ahead of the exams. They have some side effects, and although your doctor is probably sure you won't experience the really severe ones (breathing difficulties, anaphylaxis etc) it's best to make sure of that before you go into the exam hall! In my opinion, it also takes a bit of getting used to - it helps with the physical effects of anxiety but not the mental ones, which means your head will still be panicky and racing, but you shouldn't be shaking on the outside. Personally, I also get a feeling of floating/like the world has slowed down, which you might get too.

I hope the propranolol does help you, because it has greatly changed my exam experiences -I've only taken it for two exam sittings so far, but beforehand I'd had panic attacks and shakes so bad during exams that I couldn't do as well as I knew I could. It takes a bit of experimentation, getting to know how much works for you, and when to take it, but it is worth it in the end :smile:
Really can't be bothered to revise, my exams on wednesday :bawling: its a really hard exam too. Ive just given up. I really dont care anymore. I dont care if i fail :dry:
Original post by Anonymous
Oh, and marzipan is a vile substance which is a disgrace to the name of sweets... :tongue: Just sayin'.

I have to agree :cool: Possibly my most hated of all foods!
Reply 2104
Original post by avhhs
Nooooooo! Sitting in bed right now which can only lead to one thing: Bad thoughts :sad: And I hate feeling so tired.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry to be blunt but if you know sitting on your bed will/is going to lead to bad thoughts, one would have thought you'd stop yourself from doing that? Have you not got any distractions?
Reply 2105
Original post by Sultana

Dunno what to say. I'm so conflicted.
Think really it is very weak to be so incapable of just making the correct decision.

Its not weak at all. Everyone her struggles in some way or another, but you know what we are all strong because we are all here, and we are all trying to beat these illnesses. You're ill, you aren't weak :hugs:
Reply 2106
Original post by 05autyt
I'm sure you dont make things worse at all. You've made things a lot better for me when you've given me advice etc. In my eyes that shows you are a kind and compassionate person and you don't deserve to be feeling like this :frown: I am feeling slightly better today. Still quite numb to the world, but I managed to resist last night and I'm glad the exam went well. Compared to the last couple of days I feel really good :smile:
Really hope you feel better soon, have you got anyone nearby that you can talk to about how you are feeling now? I dont like thinking of you like this! :frown:

I really do deserve everything I get tbh, and that's not just the depression talking. I'm an awful person and I've lived my life never having been good enough. And I'm sick of it. I don't really have anyone in real life that will listen or care at all. I'm not sure there's really anything to say anyway anymore though so its okay. Thanks for your kindness though :hugs: I'm really glad that you're feeling a bit better today and I really hope this continues for you. If ever you need anyone my inbox is open always :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2107
Original post by 08batee
I really do deserve everything I get tbh, and that's not just the depression talking. I'm an awful person and I've lived my life never having been good enough. And I'm sick of it. I don't really have anyone in real life that will listen or care at all. I'm not sure there's really anything to say anyway anymore though so its okay. Thanks for your kindness though :hugs: I'm really glad that you're feeling a bit better today and I really hope this continues for you. If ever you need anyone my inbox is open always :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You really dont. First of all no one deserves to have such a ****ty life, but I've seen your comments to other people on here and you've helped so many people, so you especially do not deserve it! I've never been good enough either, I'm still not IMO but I think thats something everyone can relate to it some ways. Fact is to everyone else you are good enough, its only to yourself that you aren't! And the same goes for you, If you ever need anyone to talk to or rant at, you can inbox me :hugs:
Reply 2108
Original post by 05autyt
You really dont. First of all no one deserves to have such a ****ty life, but I've seen your comments to other people on here and you've helped so many people, so you especially do not deserve it! I've never been good enough either, I'm still not IMO but I think thats something everyone can relate to it some ways. Fact is to everyone else you are good enough, its only to yourself that you aren't! And the same goes for you, If you ever need anyone to talk to or rant at, you can inbox me :hugs:

Thanks for your kind words, but I promise that if you knew me then you wouldn't be saying that. I could go on and on (with examples) about how crap and worthless and rubbish I really am, but I won't bore you. Thanks though, you are lovely.

I think I'm gonna leave the thread. I kinda just make things worse and I feel like I'm being annoying and unhelpful and can't help anyone. It will be better without me as I have nothing decent to contribute. Thanks to everyone who's helped me though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2109
Feeling slightly better now after my horrific mood earlier. It was really bad. Don't know how I managed to get myself in such a state. Need to be careful. Right now I feel in the mood for revision. Going to eat now so lets hope it stays after that. Also need to forget about getting a new phone, thinking that I have an extremely crap phone compared to everyone else was a significant contributor to my state earlier. My phone's battery doesn't even last 2 hours but I have ordered a new battery so I need to be patient and wait for that.

As usual I'm talking nonsense and just causing problems for myself and everyone else :sad:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IDukem
After having the day from hell, i'm officially angry, upset, confused and completely broken. But work has to continue and I have to do this so I can pass the hardest time of my life. I feel deflated and broken down to the point where i'm struggling to get back up with each passing blow to the body (metaphorically). In order for me to continue to get through this work, I need to make some changes and so, because of the amount of work that needs to be done, I have to stop posting on TSR and seal myself away from people as much as possible for about a week. This isn't a bad thing necessarily, this is me NEEDING to be isolated so I can concentrate and get through this week with as little amount of distraction as possible. Yeah I know, it's only a week (if that) but I thought I tell you guys so you don't think I randomly disappeared and didn't care about any of you :smile: You may see the odd post if i'm taking some time off, but I won't promise you anything.

Some times a break away is a good thing :smile:

So I wish you all well and i'll part by saying that "IDukem has left the building...but will be back" :h:

For everyone that needs them :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Dunno if you'll actually be around to read this or not :ninja: but hey ho :tongue:

:hugs: :hugs: :jumphug: :lovehug: if you think you need time away to manage your coursework then do it! Tis a good idea to rid yourself of distractions and concentrate on your work.. just don't burn yourself out! We don't want that now do we :nah: :tongue:

I will speak to you whenever you return your Highness :tongue: :h:

I will get round to replying back to your PM aswell, you're gonna have a ton of messages from me :redface: haha.

:hugs: :jumphug:
Original post by Team_McDreamy
I take propranolol during exams too - I take one tablet about forty five minutes before the exam is due to start, to allow it time to kick in (I have to be at the exam hall twenty minutes ahead of the scheduled start time, and if I don't feel it working by then, I panic and can't then stop myself having a panic attack). One tablet is normally enough for a shortish exam, occasionally I'll have a long exam (3 hours +) and although the medication should last that long, I can feel the effects wearing off towards the end, so I bring an extra tablet in with me and sit it on my desk, just in case. I've never had to take the supplementary tablet, but knowing that it's there if I need it calms me down.

One thing I would suggest doing beforehand is having a dry run with the tablets ahead of the exams. They have some side effects, and although your doctor is probably sure you won't experience the really severe ones (breathing difficulties, anaphylaxis etc) it's best to make sure of that before you go into the exam hall! In my opinion, it also takes a bit of getting used to - it helps with the physical effects of anxiety but not the mental ones, which means your head will still be panicky and racing, but you shouldn't be shaking on the outside. Personally, I also get a feeling of floating/like the world has slowed down, which you might get too.

I hope the propranolol does help you, because it has greatly changed my exam experiences -I've only taken it for two exam sittings so far, but beforehand I'd had panic attacks and shakes so bad during exams that I couldn't do as well as I knew I could. It takes a bit of experimentation, getting to know how much works for you, and when to take it, but it is worth it in the end :smile:

Thanks for your response. I took one earlier and no nasty side effects. Haven't noticed any improvments either though. I guess they'll be more useful in exams.
Unfortionately nothing to help with the tiredness. I get up at like 2 and still I'm constantly tired. My current target is just to remain awake through my exams -_-

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey. I went through a rough patch a year or so ago. Now my best friend is and she's saying shes going to kill herself.. how can I convince her not to?
Original post by eddie4921
Really can't be bothered to revise, my exams on wednesday :bawling: its a really hard exam too. Ive just given up. I really dont care anymore. I dont care if i fail :dry:

:hugs: Just wanted to say best of luck in your exam on wednesday :smile:.. try not to give up on it yet, you still have the whole of tomorrow to do a bit of last minute cramming in you can :smile:

Original post by avhhs
Feeling slightly better now after my horrific mood earlier. It was really bad. Don't know how I managed to get myself in such a state. Need to be careful. Right now I feel in the mood for revision. Going to eat now so lets hope it stays after that. Also need to forget about getting a new phone, thinking that I have an extremely crap phone compared to everyone else was a significant contributor to my state earlier. My phone's battery doesn't even last 2 hours but I have ordered a new battery so I need to be patient and wait for that.

As usual I'm talking nonsense and just causing problems for myself and everyone else :sad:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Glad you're feeling much better now :smile:. I used to have a phone that just wouldn't even survive 10 minutes :facepalm: had to constantly have it on charge :L New battery will help and revive it :tongue:

Best of luck for your exams too and anyone else who also has exams :h:
Original post by kerrydouglas
Hey. I went through a rough patch a year or so ago. Now my best friend is and she's saying shes going to kill herself.. how can I convince her not to?

Try to convince her of what she does have in life? IDK like tell her how you've come out of it and are feeling better, tell her there is all sorts of help she can get. Tell her how special and amazing you think she is. Try talk to her about things she enjoys (like food books movies?) and all the food/books/movies/ whatever she has yet to try? IDK just try to make her think of the special things in life.

Original post by 08batee

I think I'm gonna leave the thread. I kinda just make things worse and I feel like I'm being annoying and unhelpful and can't help anyone. It will be better without me as I have nothing decent to contribute. Thanks to everyone who's helped me though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't feel like you make the thread worse; you don't. There are any of us that use this thread that care about you. I hope you fee like sticking around :hugs:

Original post by avhhs

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really good news you are feeling better. Hoping that feeling better & feeling like revision stays with you. You don't create problems for other people, don't worry, and we are all here to help you with your problems and support you.
:hugs:

Talking to people about how I am feeling is an awful idea. I fele 100x worse and have just been crying and crying for the last few hours. I feel like absolute useless worthless ****ing ****. I don't know why I'm here and the last few conversations I've had have kind of proved there's no point in me :frown: :'(
I'm a ****ing state and I have an exam tomorrow I'm probably gonna fail because I can't stop thinking these stupid thoughts or crying and I know I need to revise but TBH what's the point?
Original post by ParadoxSocks
I have ten days before the submission to trigger it so until the 7th. I see my supervisor on Tuesday and my disabilty mentor straight after so she can set anything I need up. I guess being obnoxious and getting in my markers bad books is better than submitting something I'm not happy with. My report is finally coming on but I'm still missing my design and implementation sections. It's just I'm so scared to get it wrong so I'm not able to write them at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly. Also, if you talk to your markers beforehand, you might be able to submit something you are happy with, and work something out with your marks so they are happy :smile: Even if you get it wrong (and I imagine you would only get it slightly wrong if you get it wrong at all), then this is what first drafts / etc are about.

Original post by ParadoxSocks
Something finally clicked and my dissertation report is suddenly actually being written in an academic way! Only problem is I need to have about 5000 new words by midday tomorrow before supervision :eek:

Excellent. Don't be afraid to say you can't meet deadlines that are set by your silly supervisor which are unreasonable though.

Original post by Kindred
Well i've been to the docs and they've given me more drugs. I now have Propranolol tablets to help with my anxiety during exams. I'm not entirely sure how long i'm meant to take them for but i'll work it out. It doesn't do anything to actually stop the anxiety but it may apparently help with the shaking and things. I don't know if it will help or not but I guess it's worth a shot.
First exams are on wednesday. Hopefully i'll be able to calm my nerves enough to get through. I feel really bad for not doing much revision. It's really important but i've done no work! :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Propranolol can be taken PRN (as and when needed) or once a day. What dosage have you been given? It should say on the box if you should take them daily or PRN (just before exams). It is worth noting that it will only help with the physical symptoms of anxiety.
Original post by octoberbaby
I'm a ****ing state and I have an exam tomorrow I'm probably gonna fail because I can't stop thinking these stupid thoughts or crying and I know I need to revise but TBH what's the point?

At this point you do not need to revise. Do whatever you find relaxes you (i'd suggest a warm bath, hot chocolate and music) and get yourself to bed. The best thing for you is to be as calm as possible for your exam. If you find thoughts are bothering you try to focus on all the lyrics or the song and sing along either outloud or in your head. Is your exam in the morning or afternoon?

Good luck. I'm sure you'll do fine. There's nothing you can do at this point other than stay calm :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 08batee
Thanks for your kind words, but I promise that if you knew me then you wouldn't be saying that. I could go on and on (with examples) about how crap and worthless and rubbish I really am, but I won't bore you. Thanks though, you are lovely.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:frown: :frown: :frown:

Dunno if you'll see this but just in case you do: come back! You're not annoying or unhelpful at all and you help me - and loads of others - loads. Don't be so hard on yourself, sweetie :lovehug:

Original post by asdfgah
Hate myself so much, I don't know why I keep inflicting myself on people when I know they don't deserve it and I don't deserve anyone, I don't know why I'm still doing it and I don't know why I'm posting here when it's doing exactly what I'm so angry at myself for doing. I should just **** off and leave everyone in peace. Don't know what I'm doing. This is so ****ing stupid and I don't want it. Want to just be out of everyone's lives for good but I'm too pathetic to go through with stuff and too ****ing human to just exist in isolation. How can I be just human enough to have problems, but not enough to be worth anything? Feel like **** and there's nothing to be done about it so just trying to write it down to get it out of my head so I can keep revising. I sort of don't want to be on my own but I know I should be instead of just ****ing up everyone's lives.

Isolation is not good for the soul and makes the Baby Jesus cry (to use my two fave phrases :awesome: ) :sadnod: Don't be a stranger. I'm sorry I haven't been in touch much - Internet at home is ****e and am back at work, where I have to apparently actually, like, work. How very dare they! :nothing:

Original post by asdfgah
I am. My friend is going to fail her exams and she says it's my fault and that's not cos she's horrible it's because she started out nice and I broke her eventually. I'm so stupid and I don't know why I couldn't see what I was doing, and I'm still spending time with other friends and I'll probably break them too. I'm too ****ing issued to help with other people which isn't fair because they deserve it and I don't. Don't know why I'm here when I don't want to be either. I shouldn't have pretended to people that it was ok to be my friend when I'm really very poor at it.

No no no no no no no. Re-read our conversation from the other day. She has totally brought this on herself. You are NOT gonna take the blame for someone else's mess. I won't let you :nah:

:lovehug:

Original post by laceheart
Hi guys, for the past few years I have been severely unhappy with my life, and was diagnosed today with moderate to severe depression. However, I think most of my symptoms are linked to attention deficit disorder and I explained to my doctor that most of what I feel is a general lack of motivation to do anything, my attention span isn't very good - my mind wanders, I procrastinate (which greatly affected my university grades), I am often forgetful and put things off a lot. It has never crossed my mind to hurt myself. Now I've been given antidepressants I'm worried they aren't right for me and the side effects are rather worrying (I've been given Citalopram). I thought I have ADD but the doctor obviously knows best. It's a six month wait to see a behaviour therapist! Now I'm stuck with pills, or forgetting them and finding some other form of help... It's just that I've suffered for so long and I'm getting nowhere. Any advice?

superwolf's post was spot on. Try not to worry about the Citalopram side effects - they just have to list EVERYTHING that could POSSIBLY go wrong even if it's like one in a zillion (is that even a number?!)... so that you can't sue the pharmaceutical company. That's not to say you're actually going to have any, let alone all, of the side effects.

Also depression isn't necessarily about a desire to hurt oneself :nah:

Welcome, btw :wavey:
Things are just going from worse to horrid now :frown:... I know, I know I'm always moaning and just generally a lump of **** who deserves **** all and who has no idea why she still posts here. I don't know okay? I really don't. I don't deserve anything, no friends, no help of people.. and most of all, deffos not what my brother is giving up for me. I really don't deserve it. I'm just a pile of ****, who is wasting valuable oxygen that can be used for someone else in need.. not me. I mean look at me! I just reek of a vile and selfish person who deserves nothing. I know my posts are usually just about a whole load of ****.. sorry :frown: I'm just a whole heap of nothingness. :getmecoat:

Maybe I should just cut myself off from everyone that way no need to deal with me nor worry about me.. then my brother can go back to work and doesn't need to look out for me everyday and people can just live their lives without worrying about me. Seems like the best solution to me.
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest