The Student Room Group

Edexcel 6BIO2 ~ 3rd June 2013 ~ AS Biology

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ALevel96
It was definitely metaphase!

Compared to some other cells they were definitely aligned at the equator

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are talking about the first one right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1901
For the cellulose question I think it was:
Alpha glucose
1,4 bonds
1,6 bonds
Hydrogen bonds

For 1,4 I ticked both, but for hydrogen bonds I only ticked microfibrils. Do you think thats right? :rolleyes:
Reply 1902
Original post by billyfisher100
I'm pretty sure two crosses for 1,6 and two ticks for 1,4 as a microfibril is still made of cellulose, so it will have 1,4 bonds. None of them have 1,6 bonds. What were the other boxes?

The other box was something like 'does it have hydrogen bonds'
Reply 1903
Original post by Ingamo
Alpha glucose
1,4 bonds
1,6 bonds
Hydrogen bonds

For 1,4 I ticked both, but for hydrogen bonds I only ticked microfibrils. Do you think thats right? :rolleyes:

I think cellulose is made out of B glucose as starch is made out of A glucose! But you did get the 1,4 right I think and I also ticked hydrogen bonds for microfibrils!!
Reply 1904
Original post by jcao03
I think cellulose is made out of B glucose as starch is made out of A glucose! But you did get the 1,4 right I think and I also ticked hydrogen bonds for microfibrils!!

Oh yeah I put crosses in the 1,6 and alpha glucose sections I forgot to say! They were the only ones I was sure about haha! Yaay!
Original post by Ingamo
Alpha glucose
1,4 bonds
1,6 bonds
Hydrogen bonds

I only ticked 1,4 for the cellulose molecule, because there aren't any 1,4 bonds holding any of the molecules together in the microfibril

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1906
that paper had so many graphs, however i think that makes it easier because with graphs you state whats going on and then you manipulate the data which isnt particularly hard

When it asked what meosis does i wrote something like

It creates genetic variation through crossing over and independant assortment
Reply 1907
Original post by Marshymallow
I only ticked 1,4 for the cellulose molecule, because there aren't any 1,4 bonds holding any of the molecules together in the microfibril

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohh, I suppose but you could argue that they are still within the microfibril holding it together? :confused:
For the factors I put the following:

only 1% of their natural habitat is undisturbed; damage to niche/ecosystem

prairie dogs are usually poisoned if ferrets eat them they too will become poisoned

ferrets were reintroduced at similar positions; competition for food
Reply 1909
Original post by Meehar17
What do you guys think the grade boundaries will be for an A guys? Tbh it wasn't too difficult but some question were a little weird though

Edexcel can be so annoying in the way their grade boundaries fluctuate! I know that many found it an alright paper so I reckon it's gonna be high. I think I've seen it 64 marks high for an A in previous past papers. That's really high but they can't go any higher than that! Well they can but I don't think they're that horrible. I'm hoping a 60 but there's a chance that 64 is what they'll do. I remember in Jan when everyone found the paper alright and I thought I got sufficient marks to get me an A which was 54+ but I got a 57 and it was a C and A was 63 :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ingamo
Ohh, I suppose but you could argue that they are still within the microfibril holding it together? :confused:

Yeh it was a weirdly worded question :/ but i think whenever they talk about bonding they mean the type of bonding holding that structure together not just within the structure generally...oh well it's only 1 mark :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1911
Original post by jcao03
Edexcel can be so annoying in the way their grade boundaries fluctuate! I know that many found it an alright paper so I reckon it's gonna be high. I think I've seen it 64 marks high for an A in previous past papers. That's really high but they can't go any higher than that! Well they can but I don't think they're that horrible. I'm hoping a 60 but there's a chance that 64 is what they'll do. I remember in Jan when everyone found the paper alright and I thought I got sufficient marks to get me an A which was 54+ but I got a 57 and it was a C and A was 63 :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same happened to me! :P
Original post by MissGeek
Heu guys, I'm going to try get started on an unofficial mark scheme, I think I remember quite a few of the questions. My answers may be wrong. I have a Chemistry exam in a few hours, so I'll start of with a few of the questions first, then after my exam, I'll try and update the mark scheme. Personally, I found the paper okay, it wasn't too hard, but there were a few odd questions here and there. The multiple choice at the beginning was confusing. Apologies in advance if my mark scheme confuses anyone or if it's wrong.

Ferrets question

Explain how zoos have the captive breeding programme (5 marks)
Allow ferrets to mate with individiuals different to previous mating
Allow only those with different genes to mate
Keep a record book of which ferret has mated with which
Afterwards, reintroduce them back into the wild

From the graph, explain why no ferrets were released before 1991 (I think it was 2 marks)
The number of births was quite low before 1991, therefore if they were released back into the wild they would be endangered and threatened and at risk of extinction

Comment on the effectiveness of the breeding programme from 1991-2000
Overall increase, so must have been effective, even though there were a few years where the births were decreasing. In 1997 (i think it was), highest number of ferrets born.

Explain factors on survival (can't remember exactly how it was worded)
If the dogs are killed by poison, easier for ferrets to catch them, but population may reduce because more ferrets will die, because they will be poisoned (probably wrong answer)
Competition with other species within the area will affect its chances of survival (competing for food and territory)
Most of area disturbed by human activity, therefore, loss of natural habitat (e.g. roads being built), and hunting, so more difficult to adapt.

Meiosis

Explain after acrosome reaction what egg cell does (Can't exactly remember how it was worded)
Acrosome ruptures and digestive enzymes are released which break down zona pellucida layer. This allows sperm to get through to egg. Sperm head fuses with cell membrane. Egg cell releases cortical granules into space between zona pellucida and cell membrane. Zona pellucida thickens, so that only 1 sperm reaches fertilised egg.

Explain how meiosis brings about genetic variation.
Crossing over occurs. The 2 chromatids are wrapped/twisted around each other. Bits of 1 chromatid break and join bits of the other chromatid (on chiasmata).This leads to a combination of different alles in the 4 daughter haploid cells produced. Independent/random assortment also occurs. This is when any number from 0 to all 23 from the maternal or paternal chromatids are distributed into the gametes (hence offspring) completely at random.

I'll be able to add to the mark scheme when after my exam today. If anybody else wants to add to it, or correct anything which is wrong, please feel free to.

What do people reckon the grade boundaries on this paper are going to be?

it was actually in 1999 was the highest rate of birth
Reply 1913
Original post by Marshymallow
Yeh it was a weirdly worded question :/ but i think whenever they talk about bonding they mean the type of bonding holding that structure together not just within the structure generally...oh well it's only 1 mark :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeaah not the end of the world :biggrin:

Did anyone else find on the very first tick boxes question that they were ticking "two cells only" a lot? It made me doubt myself as I ticked it for quite a few aha
Reply 1914
Original post by jcao03
I put that too! I know it was in the question but it does affect its survival chances so yeah, really hope it is on the mark scheme!

I put

They may struggle to communicate with the wild memebers of the species
They may die out as their food supply (prairie dog) is being killed
They may be killed by the farmers who view the ferrets as a pest
Original post by Ingamo
Yeaah not the end of the world :biggrin:

Did anyone else find on the very first tick boxes question that they were ticking "two cells only" a lot? It made me doubt myself as I ticked it for quite a few aha

haha me too, i ckecked that question 5 times.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CoolRunner
Does anyone remember the question about ferrets and something about not releasing them (2 marks) before 1991

I said (cant remember that much):

- Cannot release, as population of ferrets are low ---> can lead to extinction
- If ferrets are released, they may not be able to adapt quick enough (due to NS) and stuff on advantageous allele (cant remember :L)

Another question was on taxonomy (3/4 mark i think)

I said (y):

- Taxonomy is when organisms are grouped together by looking at their similarities and differences
- If two organisms have the same role within an ecological niche they are in the same species
- If two organisms can produce fertile offspring, they are in the same species.
- Two organisms have similar evolutionary backgrounds, they are in the same genus/species
- DNA profiling can be used to determine whether two species are related with each other, to see whether they have similar base structures.

Can someone verify if they have something similar to this or correct me :smile:

Hey man, taxonomy question was just 2 marks.
The 3 marks question was on the evaluation thing.
Reply 1917
Original post by Daniel Atieh
so was it interphase or cytokinesis ????????????????

At first i put cytokinesis but then i thought lol what it doesnt make sense

So then i put interphase
Original post by diggy
At first i put cytokinesis but then i thought lol what it doesnt make sense

So then i put interphase

ok will these get me 1 mark for the last question ?
1)Reintroduce the species far away from each other to reduce the competition
2) Introducing a new prey will help to increase their survival chances
I think i got this wrong (by the looks of everyone else)...

This is what I did:
ithinkigotitwrong.jpg

As a similar question has been asked before (i know the question we did is not about starch):

ss.jpg

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending