The Student Room Group

AQA GCE Geography Unit 3- 7th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1760
Original post by mackie0088
Practice questions on here anyone? Answer one or two or whatever the write a few new questions. Other people can suggest improvements to your answer etc.

Plate tectonics Q: Describe the different plate boundaries and their associated landforms.

Three major types of plate boundaries.

Constructive: plates are moving apart producing oceanic ridges such as the Mid Atlantic Ridge which is an area of uplifted oceanic crust running the whole length of the plate boundary (around 60000km). Where there are two continental plates forms rift valleys when an area of crust drops down between two faults such as the African Rift which extends around 5000km. At these plate boundaries volcanic activity forms shield volcanoes which are very wide with shallow slopes due to the low silica content of basaltic lava having low viscocity.

Destructive: plates are moving towards one another, resulting in an ocean plate subducting under another ocean plate or a continental plate (oceanic plates are more dense so sink). This results in the formation of an oceanic trench where the plate is being subducted. Fold mountains can be produced as sediments are uplifted and deformed. Volcanic activity on this plate boundary results in the formation of explosive composite volcanoes as the magma produced is andesitic or rhyolitic which is high in visocity because of silica content from contamination of magma from sea sediments and melting of continental crust. Where both plates are oceanic an island arc may form as multiple volcanoes along the plate boundary form new land.

Conservative: Two plates moving alongside each other, not apart or together. No landforms as there is only seismic activity along this margin.
Reply 1761
Original post by acedlol
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0By96Xbp_nMSrMDJvejNnMUZpVlU/edit?pli=1

This isn't my essay, but I found it somewhere and uploaded it. I could upload mine but I really can't be ****ed lmao.

This whole next part is something I sent to a guy that PM'd me, and I should probably share it, it kind of answers your questions.

thank you very much for this! hopefully will be better at the 40 marker now :P

but after reading this, ive noticed that i need a lot of detail for my case studies and mine are too vague atm....
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1762
Original post by emah123
you need 154 ums in unit 3 and 4A/B combined

Does anyone roughly know how many marks I will need to get an A overall. I got 185 ums at AS and in the unit 4a got a high C with 53 ums. Overall I am on 238 but what grade does that mean I need? The whole ums and raw marks thing confused me so much. Thanks!
Reply 1763
Original post by ben10101
Does anyone roughly know how many marks I will need to get an A overall. I got 185 ums at AS and in the unit 4a got a high C with 53 ums. Overall I am on 238 but what grade does that mean I need? The whole ums and raw marks thing confused me so much. Thanks!

you need 82 ums which is a very high C or borderline B depending in grade boundaries
last year you needed 53/90 for a B
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1764

I got 190 AS and 56 in the A2 skills, which means I need 63/90 for an A overall, which is just above the A grade boundary for this exam :/ I'm a bit worried..

But you will need 69 out of 90 I think.
Original post by mattypt
Three major types of plate boundaries.

Constructive: plates are moving apart producing oceanic ridges such as the Mid Atlantic Ridge which is an area of uplifted oceanic crust running the whole length of the plate boundary (around 60000km). Where there are two continental plates forms rift valleys when an area of crust drops down between two faults such as the African Rift which extends around 5000km. At these plate boundaries volcanic activity forms shield volcanoes which are very wide with shallow slopes due to the low silica content of basaltic lava having low viscocity.

Destructive: plates are moving towards one another, resulting in an ocean plate subducting under another ocean plate or a continental plate (oceanic plates are more dense so sink). This results in the formation of an oceanic trench where the plate is being subducted. Fold mountains can be produced as sediments are uplifted and deformed. Volcanic activity on this plate boundary results in the formation of explosive composite volcanoes as the magma produced is andesitic or rhyolitic which is high in visocity because of silica content from contamination of magma from sea sediments and melting of continental crust. Where both plates are oceanic an island arc may form as multiple volcanoes along the plate boundary form new land.

Conservative: Two plates moving alongside each other, not apart or together. No landforms as there is only seismic activity along this margin.

Really good detailed answer maybe a few more examples like conservative boundary is San Andreas fault etc. Post a question now?
Reply 1766
Original post by bluekipper
Jan 13 - 56/90 63% Raw
Jun 12 - 61/90 68%
Jan 12 - 54/90 60%
Jun 11 - 58/90 65%
Jan 11 - 56/90 63%
Jun 10 - 59/90 66%

Average for an A has been 58/90 64% Raw

320 for an A, so you need around 170 (mid A). 280 for a B, so around 130 (mid C)

you're a star thank you!
Reply 1767
Original post by MrProff
I got 190 AS and 56 in the A2 skills, which means Ineed 63/90 for an A overall, which is just above the A grade boundary for this exam :/ I'm a bit worried..

Yeah that makes more sense, but what I really do not understand is the grade boundaries for the recent January's exam it was 63 out of 90 for an A* and 56 marks for an A. There must be a way of converting the ums into a mark out of 90 because the exam is worth 120 ums?
Reply 1768
Original post by acedlol
You couldn't pay me to do this exam again haha.

For globalisation and development, I'd expect LDC's somewhere. I'm fairly certain they will come up somewhere. At the moment I'm leaning towards LDC questions, with either a sustainable tourism / TNC question thrown in.

In terms of the essay, TNCs has to be the most likely essay, although I guess LDCs is equally likely. Wouldn't put it past the examiners if they did some bull**** 40 marker on sustainable tourism.

i will personally go and castrate the cheif examiner if there's a 40 marker on sustainable tourism - there simply isn't enough to write on that one topic!!!
Reply 1769
Original post by mackie0088
Really good detailed answer maybe a few more examples like conservative boundary is San Andreas fault etc. Post a question now?

Yeah I should have put in more examples but got lazy towards the end.

Describe and account for the global distribution of Earthquakes.
(edited 10 years ago)
Does anyone have a textbook definition by what they mean by 'comment'? It crops on almost every 7 marker but I haven't been able to find any real answers to what it means apart from the phrase to 'think like a geographer'. On mark schemes the 'comment' sections vary from really generic points about a figure (particularly in the human sections) to almost giving reasons why a particular trend is show (almost always in the physical answers). Any clarification would be much appreciated.
Reply 1771
Original post by danielrhysowen
Does anyone have a textbook definition by what they mean by 'comment'? It crops on almost every 7 marker but I haven't been able to find any real answers to what it means apart from the phrase to 'think like a geographer'. On mark schemes the 'comment' sections vary from really generic points about a figure (particularly in the human sections) to almost giving reasons why a particular trend is show (almost always in the physical answers). Any clarification would be much appreciated.

describe and suggest reasons for imo
Original post by Gary
exactly the same here!

you doing the essay first or last?

I will do it first while I have loads of time. Don't want to end up rushing it towards the end and losing marks.
Original post by danielrhysowen

Went to a talk by one of the chief examiners and he basically said it's deliberately open ended, it encourages the candidate to be creative with their answer. As a general rule with the 7 marker, always make at least one implicit comment, as in say something that isn't on the photo/graph, suggest reasons for things etc.
Yeah that makes more sense, but what I really do not understand is the grade boundaries for the recent January's exam it was 63 out of 90 for an A* and 56 marks for an A. There must be a way of converting the ums into a mark out of 90 because the exam is worth 120 ums?

Spoiler

Is this what you were looking for?

EDIT: table didnt work heres the link http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/about-results/uniform-mark-scale/convert-marks-to-ums
(edited 10 years ago)

56/90 is the Raw mark for an A. An A is 80% of 120 UMS, so 56 Raw marks converts to 96 UMS. 63/90 converts to 108 UMS and 70/90 and above converts to 120 UMS.
Reply 1776
Original post by MrProff
I got 190 AS and 56 in the A2 skills, which means I need 63/90 for an A overall, which is just above the A grade boundary for this exam :/ I'm a bit worried..

I think you need a low C actually. Low C = 74 UMS which when added to 190 and 56 = 320 UMS which is an A.
Reply 1777
i achieved 170/200 at AS and 74/80 in Unit 4 - can somebody please tell me how many raw marks i'll need in this paper (roughly) to get an A overall? thank you in advance :smile:
I need 62 UMS for an A overall in Geog, is that a low C?
Original post by St. Brynjar
Went to a talk by one of the chief examiners and he basically said it's deliberately open ended, it encourages the candidate to be creative with their answer. As a general rule with the 7 marker, always make at least one implicit comment, as in say something that isn't on the photo/graph, suggest reasons for things etc.

Thanks a lot!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending