The Student Room Group

Resources for Advanced Higher Sciences and Mathematics

Considering people take multiple sciences I thought it would be quite useful to have them all in the one place as a massive collection :biggrin:

Advanced Higher Biology:

Books:
BrightRed
Past Papers
Cell and Molecular Biology Monograph
Health, Physiology and Exercise Monograph
Enviromental Biology Monograph

Resources:
Alford Academy website with amazing resources!
Revision Powerpoints etc.
More powerpoints
Learning Outcomes
[url="http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:7BaljXEK8BEJ:www.anderson.shetland.sch.uk/dept-biology/documents/advancedhigher/Cell%2520%26%2520Molecular%2520Biology/Advanced%2520Higher%2520Biology-course%2520%2520%2520%2520revision%255B1%255D.doc+cell+and+molecular+biology+advanced+higher&hl=en&gl=uk&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESjKgdKVBwnhzb2op67AqCzEH9y12FGEZbPN2TNynCETx9ukZ8mUAxjxCde31z5ObEOWsVljJDOILoB4H1ictig4YbtHpVQnxPL7AjXRM8SLXGmrAU52Atd2XmWedtKXA_UASeFr&sig=AHIEtbSGpKezCwUNxk9o8q_DnVidSi0v3Q"]Revision Questions
More Revision Questions!
Environmental Biology Brain Busters!
Past Papers and Marking Schemes

Further reading:
http://www.cvphysiology.com - expands on the CVS stuff that comes up in unit 3.

Advanced Higher Chemistry

Books:
BrightRed
Past Papers
Hodder Gibson Calculations and PPAs

Resources:
Investigation Guidance
Higher and Advanced Higher Data Booklet
Official Question Bank
Evans2ChemWeb
Revision Questions
Scholar
ThinkChemistry
Open-ended questions
Amazing teaching resources!

Advanced Higher Mathematics

Books:
Selected Books
Maths In Action 1
Maths In Action 2
Maths In Action 3
BrightRed Revision
Practice Papers
Practice Papers
Past Papers

Resources:
Invergordon website with LOTS of Practice Questions and notes
Official Question Bank
HSN Course Summary
Formulae
Notes
Scholar
Checklist
Teejay
Online scientific calculator
Wolfram Alpha
Integrator
Unit 1 Practice NAB
Unit 2 Practice NAB
Specimen Question Paper with Marking Instructions
Maths Tutorials
Website with amazing resources! Past papers and practice papers
YouTube Channel: DLBmaths - worked solutions to past papers.
Notes in the form of powerpoints for every topic

Advanced Higher Physics

Books:
BrightRed
Past Papers

Resources:
Official Question Bank (core)
Official Question Bank (further)
Scholar
Fizzics Revision website containing summary notes and videos
Course notes with some calculations
Education Scotland's support materials
Open ended questions

Advanced Higher Statistics

Books:
Maths In Action: stats 1
Maths In Action: stats 2

Resources:
Official Question Bank

Further Knowledge :beard: :

KhanAcademy
SciShow
Crash Course
Ask your school about the open university YASS scheme
Scottish Science Baccalaureates might be worth checking out!
A snazzy facebook page
Scinerds Tumblr

Science News:

Don't forget the good ol' BBC , Guardian Science and New Scientist
Reddit science sub-forum

Credits to Kelz_26 and Hype en Ecosse for their original threads

If you know of any other useful books or resources, please don't hesitate to post them, I'll add them onto here. Resources are for both the revised and non-revised Advanced Higher sciences.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Wow this is great! One little problem see when you click the "Alford academy website" one for biology, the link doesn't work as there is a " at the end of the link, but it offers and alternative link which you can easily click and it loads it!
Reply 2
Original post by CSM1996
Wow this is great! One little problem see when you click the "Alford academy website" one for biology, the link doesn't work as there is a " at the end of the link, but it offers and alternative link which you can easily click and it loads it!

Fixed.

If there are any other issues with links please tell me and I'll try and fix them :h:
Wow. PRSOM, dude. Any chance of a Higher Edition ?
Original post by -Neuro-
Fixed.

If there are any other issues with links please tell me and I'll try and fix them :h:

All the AH Chemistry and Physics links need to be fixed. It's just a %22 at the front of the URL causing the problem :smile:

Edit: Sorry, most *
Edit2: Also, check for quotation marks at the end of links too :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by TheFOMaster
All the AH Chemistry and Physics links need to be fixed. It's just a %22 at the front of the URL causing the problem :smile:

Edit: Sorry, most *
Edit2: Also, check for quotation marks at the end of links too :smile:

I put a gap between the quotations and the URL :redface: They should hopefully work now :colondollar: *cough* Bet they don't....
Original post by -Neuro-
I put a gap between the quotations and the URL :redface: They should hopefully work now :colondollar: *cough* Bet they don't....

I clicked a random one that worked... IMPROVEMENT :awesome:
Original post by Bromaldehyde
Wow. PRSOM, dude. Any chance of a Higher Edition ?

On the right hand side of the top of the forum is a "useful resources" section. Follow the Higher section and you get this thread!

-Neuro-
x

Great thread! Might I suggest an Advanced Higher Maths section and including a "Further Reading" section under each subject?

If you don't mind (even if you mind, tbh, I'm just being polite :colone:), the mods will be adding stuff to the OP as per people's requests (and I'll personally be adding stuff as I come across them. :tongue:)

If enough demand and resources are found, I'd suggest expanding the thread into a more general "AH resources" thread!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Hype en Ecosse

Great thread! Might I suggest an Advanced Higher Maths section and including a "Further Reading" section under each subject?

If you don't mind (even if you mind, tbh, I'm just being polite :colone:), the mods will be adding stuff to the OP as per people's requests (and I'll personally be adding stuff as I come across them. :tongue:)

If enough demand and resources are found, I'd suggest expanding the thread into a more general "AH resources" thread!

I'll add maths resources tomorrow as well as some stuff for AH statistics as I was given some recommendations from a thread I posted a while back! Feel free to add stuff too, I see you have already done some editing on my original post anyway :tongue:

That could be a possibility actually! :beard:
Reply 9
Original post by -Neuro-
x

this is the best resource for AH chemistry http://www.chemistry-teaching-resources.com/Welcome.html
Reply 10
Original post by deedee123
this is the best resource for AH chemistry http://www.chemistry-teaching-resources.com/Welcome.html

Thank you! :h:
Reply 11
Anybody know of any good chemistry and physics books? Textbooks especially :colondollar:
Original post by -Neuro-
Anybody know of any good chemistry and physics books? Textbooks especially :colondollar:

There are monographs (just like the LTS ones for AH Bio) for AH Chem and I found those great. They were the only things I used when learning Chemistry throughout the year and cover everything. They're not available on Amazon, though.
Seriously, no one could have created this BEFORE I sat my exams?
For all the subjects, there is the official additional question bank:

Chemistry
Mechanics
Statistics
Physics (core)
Physics (further)

Can't find anything for biology

Original post by -Neuro-

There is nothing really for advanced higher physics and chemistry apart from the bright read. There are the official SQA notes which are good. If you really want a textbook, try getting an A-level one. Try the books from Collins Advanced Science - they cover all the material for each A-level board and are likely to go into all the AH stuff too. I can't speak for the chemistry one, but the physics one looked good and had everything in AH in it, plus a bit more with good explanations. Also came in handy for my investigation.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Asklepios
For all the subjects, there is the official additional question bank:

Chemistry
Mechanics
Statistics
Physics (core)
Physics (further)

Added all to OP except mechanics since there's not a section for that yet and I don't want it to feel lonely. :yy:
Reply 16
I just stumbled across this thread :smile: its brilliant.

One thing though for Maths the link to Invergordon Academy (LOTS of Practice Questions) questions does not work and from Google i can not find it on their new(?) website. Was just wondering if anyone has a link or a copy of the file that they can post here?
Reply 17
Original post by kylerfc
I just stumbled across this thread :smile: its brilliant.

One thing though for Maths the link to Invergordon Academy (LOTS of Practice Questions) questions does not work and from Google i can not find it on their new(?) website. Was just wondering if anyone has a link or a copy of the file that they can post here?

Sorry, I just saw this right now! :redface: The website has disappeared, which is a shame as they lots of homework sheets and past paper solutions on it. :s-smilie:

I've actually saved all the resources from that website along with ones from other sites onto my laptop for safekeeping. What is it your looking for in particular? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by -Neuro-
Sorry, I just saw this right now! :redface: The website has disappeared, which is a shame as they lots of homework sheets and past paper solutions on it. :s-smilie:

I've actually saved all the resources from that website along with ones from other sites onto my laptop for safekeeping. What is it your looking for in particular? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that is a shame :frown: it was just for some more practise questions I was looking for, can not remember what topic it was at the time but i had ran out as I hadn't been given many. Obviously depending on the number of files etc but if you could upload some them that would be great.
Original post by kylerfc
Yeah that is a shame :frown: it was just for some more practise questions I was looking for, can not remember what topic it was at the time but i had ran out as I hadn't been given many. Obviously depending on the number of files etc but if you could upload some them that would be great.

Yeah! Greatly appreciated by me also!!:tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending