The Student Room Group

Edexcel M2/M3 June 6th/10th 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by .Username.
Can anyone tell me the all of the assumptions I.e. what rod, plank, particle, lamina mean (and any others)

For a uniform frame the mass is proportional to its length.
Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE
Well you could determine them like this:
Keep you index finger at the point around which you are taking moments, then without moving it swing you thumb over and in the direction of the arrow of the force. After you have passed the arrow head see how best it can make a circle around that point. That circle will show if it is clockwise or anticlockwise.

You can use either the thumb or the index finger for either. What's seems more comfortable...:wink:

image.jpgimage.jpg

Take that for just an example, could you tell me what's clockwise and anticlockwise say about B? :smile:
Original post by JenniS
have you done a triangle thing for A to work out the vertical distance it moved? then just compare GPE

I don't think I got that?
Original post by Exams v__v
image.jpgimage.jpg

Take that for just an example, could you tell me what's clockwise and anticlockwise say about B? :smile:

Clockwise would be F and R. W is anticlockwise
Oops, my bad. :P

Could you help in the basic idea of toppling? What do we need to know?

Do you have the orange and purple book?
image.jpgimage.jpg

Take that for just an example, could you tell me what's clockwise and anticlockwise say about B?

Original post by Boy_wonder_95

No, F would not create any moment about B as it acts through the point. Just R and W would create a moment.
Original post by Boy_wonder_95

How do you do F? :s-smilie: W and R are okay
Original post by Anonymous1717
Do you have the orange and purple book?

Yes! What page? :smile:
Reply 388
Can anyone help me with how you do question 5 january 2006, finding the centre of mass of a a triangle WITHOUT THE LAMINA
Original post by LShirley95
No, F would not create any moment about B as it acts through the point. Just R and W would create a moment.

Yh fair enough.
How do you do F? :s-smilie: W and R are okay

I wasn't thinking :colondollar:

Are you sure? ;o can't we resolve F or something?
Are you sure? ;o can't we resolve F or something?

I am sure! A moment is given by F*d; where d is the shortest distance from the line that the force acts through, to the point we're taking moments about. As F acts directly through the point there is no moment as d = 0.

You could think about it in a number of ways: it is acting neither clockwise nor anticlockwise around B so how could a moment be created?!
I am sure! A moment is given by F*d; where d is the shortest distance from the line that the force acts through, to the point we're taking moments about. As F acts directly through the point there is no moment as d = 0.

You could think about it in a number of ways: it is acting neither clockwise nor anticlockwise around B so how could a moment be created?!

Oh right! That makes sense, haha. Okay how about this. The horizontal at X, is it clockwise or anticlockwise? Taking moment about B. image.jpg
Reply 394
Original post by JenniS
Can anyone help me with how you do question 5 january 2006, finding the centre of mass of a a triangle WITHOUT THE LAMINA

So thats part (a) right? How stuck are you? Do you know where to begin?
Yes! What page? :smile:

Even if you've figured out that angle question, can you tell me where it's from so I can see if I can do it?
Original post by Anonymous1717

Even if you've figured out that angle question, can you tell me where it's from so I can see if I can do it?

Where it's from, you mean?
And thanks!
Have to say I'm pretty worried about M2 tomorrow. Why are the grade boundaries always so absurdly high?! Not exactly the easiest unit but 71 for 90 UMS on quite a few past papers? :s-smilie: So easy to lose a large chunk of marks from 1 mistake in mechanics as well :mad:
Reply 398
Original post by MasterYi
So thats part (a) right? How stuck are you? Do you know where to begin?

after panicking I realised what to do its that sum of mass thing
Can someone okease tell me. The horizontal force at X, is it clockwise or anticlockwise? Taking moment about B. image.jpg

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending