The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk X

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kindred
Glad it's getting better. You'll get used to it soon enough too. I've noticed they made me more anxious when I started but i'm starting to level out again :smile:

I'm doing quite well. I'm not as anxious as I have been the past couple of days. I've got a few more side effects with the Citalopram I think, that or they're a little worse, but they aren't too disruptive so i'm managing. I do keep getting random itches though which is really annoying when you're trying to relax in bed :rolleyes:
I'm trying to make a bit of a joke out of it- see how many of the side effects I can tick off :P they shouldn't last longer than another month so just need to wait it out :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good that it's not been too bad! That actually sounds quite funny, I never thought to do that :tongue: Slow reply I was away! Hope you are okay!
Reply 2161
Exam a bit later on :sad: Still got loads to go :cry2:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just want to butt in and say something. A lot of you have said to people to talk to the Samaritans and it was suggested to me too. I want to re-iterate what they've said because I started emailing them a few days ago and I'm beginning to feel a little better. They don't just talk about your problems they try and get to the root of them and then see how we can fix them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by avhhs
Exam a bit later on :sad: Still got loads to go :cry2:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck! Make sure you do all the simple things, like making sure you have read the question correctly, and so on - and hopefully you will do good :h:
Reply 2164
Original post by rmhumphries
Good luck! Make sure you do all the simple things, like making sure you have read the question correctly, and so on - and hopefully you will do good :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2165
To update on my life:

Had my final exam yesterday! Was tactile-y for the first hour (could feel flashback starting but also in control enough to write), but when I had my first rest break an hour in I asked the exam co-ordinator if she could take me to the bathroom (excuse to leave the room) and only just got out of the room before I was on the floor of the corridor having flashback. Her instinct seemed to be to physically reach out and help, and she was holding the top of my arms towards my shoulders while she said it was ok and where I was and that I was safe and stuff. I'm not sure that being touched was helpful because it made me a bit anxious, but it was also grounding I think because all the way through I knew it was her. After a while she said she was going to have to call a doctor to assess me because she was concerned but somehow managed to get across to her that I didn't want/need that. It can't have actually lasted that long though because afterwards I was upset/crying and we talked for a few mins to get me into a state to go back into the exam hall, and when I went back in she wrote down the times that I had been outside and it was only 16 mins.

Anyway, I kept going with the exam (luckily flashback seemed to well and truly **** off, so wasn't tactiley anymore by that point). At the end they said I could have up to 6 mins more writing time because my break was only meant to be 10 mins and I'd been outside for 16, but I only needed 1/2 extra minutes. But one of the girls who was in my exam (who knows I have PTSD and that I had a flashback) is complaining that I shouldn't have had extra time because she had period pains and she wasn't allowed extra time, and the only reason I got it is because I made more of a fuss than she did. I feel really guilty but also sort of know I didn't 'make a fuss' I was collapsed on the floor and it wasn't my choice and is completely different to period pains. I didn't even really get extra time I still overall lost 4 mins. Bleh. I dunno, feel ick about it because she knows stuff and if she's bitching about it to people then she might tell them about the situation? I don't want anyone to know and I've already had a facebook message from a friend who saw me in the corridor asking what was going on. Feel like a huge liar for saying it was just exam stress/panic attack but I don't want to talk about the real reason.

Good thing though: I think propranolol helped with flashback and recovery time. My breathing was still all over but didn't get so shaky or heart racey, and I *think* that helped me feel better more quickly afterwards.

Anyway, I'm home now just for today and travelling back to uni tomorrow, getting plenty of snuggles with my dogs and relaxing a little. Have CBT this afternoon and I have a few things to talk through but I think it should be ok. :hugs: to everyone.
Original post by asdfgah
To update on my life:

Had my final exam yesterday! Was tactile-y for the first hour (could feel flashback starting but also in control enough to write), but when I had my first rest break an hour in I asked the exam co-ordinator if she could take me to the bathroom (excuse to leave the room) and only just got out of the room before I was on the floor of the corridor having flashback. Her instinct seemed to be to physically reach out and help, and she was holding the top of my arms towards my shoulders while she said it was ok and where I was and that I was safe and stuff. I'm not sure that being touched was helpful because it made me a bit anxious, but it was also grounding I think because all the way through I knew it was her. After a while she said she was going to have to call a doctor to assess me because she was concerned but somehow managed to get across to her that I didn't want/need that. It can't have actually lasted that long though because afterwards I was upset/crying and we talked for a few mins to get me into a state to go back into the exam hall, and when I went back in she wrote down the times that I had been outside and it was only 16 mins.

Anyway, I kept going with the exam (luckily flashback seemed to well and truly **** off, so wasn't tactiley anymore by that point). At the end they said I could have up to 6 mins more writing time because my break was only meant to be 10 mins and I'd been outside for 16, but I only needed 1/2 extra minutes. But one of the girls who was in my exam (who knows I have PTSD and that I had a flashback) is complaining that I shouldn't have had extra time because she had period pains and she wasn't allowed extra time, and the only reason I got it is because I made more of a fuss than she did. I feel really guilty but also sort of know I didn't 'make a fuss' I was collapsed on the floor and it wasn't my choice and is completely different to period pains. I didn't even really get extra time I still overall lost 4 mins. Bleh. I dunno, feel ick about it because she knows stuff and if she's bitching about it to people then she might tell them about the situation? I don't want anyone to know and I've already had a facebook message from a friend who saw me in the corridor asking what was going on. Feel like a huge liar for saying it was just exam stress/panic attack but I don't want to talk about the real reason.

Good thing though: I think propranolol helped with flashback and recovery time. My breathing was still all over but didn't get so shaky or heart racey, and I *think* that helped me feel better more quickly afterwards.

Anyway, I'm home now just for today and travelling back to uni tomorrow, getting plenty of snuggles with my dogs and relaxing a little. Have CBT this afternoon and I have a few things to talk through but I think it should be ok. :hugs: to everyone.

Good job for getting through that and managing to recover so well, and get back to the exam! I hope it went well for you. You should be proud for following it through!

There will always be people that will hate you/be jealous in some way. If that girl starts telling people stuff, anyone that is worth caring about will see that you just have problems you are trying to deal with, and that girl trying to spread rumours is just a ****.

Hope that CBT session goes alright, and make sure you give yourself some well deserved relaxation time :smile:
Original post by asdfgah
To update on my life:

Mega congrats on finishing your last exam, especially in those sorts of circumstances. :hugs: Try and ignore that girl - she's clearly pig-ignorant, and will thus fail her exam. :lol:

Have fun with your dogs! :smile:
Sorry if i have posted this is the wrong place.

Hello, I was wondering if I could get some advice. I'm 17 and suffer for anxiety but I've never been diagnosed with it. The problem is I'm really struggling with it my self right now. I have low days, I want to self-harm (determined not to but I have massive urges that make me angry if I don't give into them) and I just want to ask my parents to help me get diagnosed so I can get help. I've tried counselling but it never works (5 different times and counting.) so I'm wondering is medication will help but I can only get that with a diagnosis. I want to ask my mum to take me to the doctors but every time build up courage to ask I want to cry and she just got back from her holiday, today, and I don't want to ruin her day or make her worried about me. Can I have some advice on how to ask her for help?

Posted from TSR Mobile
so apparently my step dads idea of sorting everything out with my flatmates is to go back and talk to them, cos apparently I must have done something wrong :facepalm: its gonna be a fun summer with him constantly on my back about things

Spoiler

had a littler cry when my boyfriend left earlier :colondollar: im so pathetic but i didnt say goodbye i said see you later, gahhhh its all coming so fast, i pack my room into the car tomorrow :frown:

hope everyones ok :hugs:
Original post by PonchoKid
so apparently my step dads idea of sorting everything out with my flatmates is to go back and talk to them, cos apparently I must have done something wrong :facepalm: its gonna be a fun summer with him constantly on my back about things

Spoiler

had a littler cry when my boyfriend left earlier :colondollar: im so pathetic but i didnt say goodbye i said see you later, gahhhh its all coming so fast, i pack my room into the car tomorrow :frown:

:hugs: It will be okay, you have so much to look forward to with graduating and stuff and seeing old friends as well im sure and seeing your sister :smile:

:lovehug: we will see each other later :yep: I'll make sure of it, cause being apart for too long is not fair on either of us! :hugs:
superwolf
:smile:

Plz get to pub :puppyeyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aemiliana
Plz get to pub :puppyeyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not going, sorry. :frown:
Original post by KirstBarlow
Sorry if i have posted this is the wrong place.

Hello, I was wondering if I could get some advice. I'm 17 and suffer for anxiety but I've never been diagnosed with it. The problem is I'm really struggling with it my self right now. I have low days, I want to self-harm (determined not to but I have massive urges that make me angry if I don't give into them) and I just want to ask my parents to help me get diagnosed so I can get help. I've tried counselling but it never works (5 different times and counting.) so I'm wondering is medication will help but I can only get that with a diagnosis. I want to ask my mum to take me to the doctors but every time build up courage to ask I want to cry and she just got back from her holiday, today, and I don't want to ruin her day or make her worried about me. Can I have some advice on how to ask her for help?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, this is just the right place to post as there are lots of people who have experienced anxiety and other problems who may have good suggestions as the best way forward for you.

I'm sorry to hear you're struggling right now. It sounds really grim for you. Still it is really good that you can see and talk about what you are experiencing. Treatment for anxiety such as medication is often very effective, though it can take a little while for the GP or other medical professional to find which of the various medications work best for you. As you are under eighteen they have to be very careful with medication as your brain is still developing and medications work differently than for adults. This means it might not be an overnight change but when you have sorted out the medication it can make things very different.

I would give it a go as you've tried counselling so many times. It sounds as if you may benefit from a different approach.

Obviously as someone experiencing anxiety it can feel very threatening going to a GP. Usually they are very understanding and helpful. Some surgeries have special drop in clinics for young people. If you don't like the GP you see or feel they were not helpful then you can always see another one.

I would just be honest with your mum and tell her exactly what you are feeling. She would be more upset if she thought you weren't able to confide in her I'm sure. It doesn't matter if you do cry. That's what mum's are for.

Big HUG.

:smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by superwolf
Not going, sorry. :frown:

That okay. Was just worried if you were sad. :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
A bit random but does anyone else find that being on a lot of medication makes your hair and nails go all weird? Mine are in really bad nick and I can't work out why. I guess EDish behaviour might be a factor but I was wondering if medication could also be a contributor?
Hi everyone,
Sorry for intruding here as you all seem to know each other well but I'm desperately looking for some advice. How do you guys manage to get uni work done with a mental health problem? I am currently failing my final year having handed in only one piece or coursework this term. Uni are giving me more extensions than I deserve totalling three months so far but I've made no progress on the outstanding work. Do you have any tips that might help me?

Incase it's relevant my main problems are anxiety, dissociation, mood swings, emotional overload/ numbness and what I can only describe as being stuck inside my head, functioning like a zombie on autopilot without the ability to express myself verbally or through writing/ drawing etc.

It would be great if anyone could help me out I'm so stuck and I realllly want to get through uni. Sorry again for barging in. I hope you're all doing well.
Reply 2178
Original post by asdfgah
To update on my life:

Well done for finishing the last exam :woo: Obviously a shame what happened and don't worry about what that bitch did :smile: :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2179
Original post by PonchoKid

Spoiler

:hugs: That is exactly what my parents believe too :rolleyes: I guess there is no need for you to say anything to your housemates as you leave tomorrow. Good luck with everything! :smile:

No Poncho, be careful :hugs: Last day here, you can do this! :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest