The Student Room Group

Edexcel M2/M3 June 6th/10th 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous1717
Anyone?

Assuming this is all acting in one line Speed = |Velocity|. i.e. just take out the negative sign if it's there.
Reply 421
Anyone?

Velocity is speed with direction. If it says find the velocity, you can leave the answer in vector form. If it asks for the speed, you always need to find the magnitude of the vector, which is where you use Pythagoras.
I'm ready to ace this exam tomorrow, bring it on!!! :biggrin:
Reply 423
Anyone?

If velocity is negative, write the modulus of it to get the speed. If the velocity is positive you can just write that as the speed.
Speed is always positive, it is a scalar.
Velocity is a vector quantity, it has direction, so can be negative.
Anyone think that collisions requiring use of sum to infinity formula will come up?
Reply 425
Original post by Serpentine111
Anyone think that collisions requiring use of sum to infinity formula will come up?

Highly doubt it, only seen one question on it in the old M2 textbook.
Unless they wanna be really mean...
Reply 426
Original post by Serpentine111

what is that ?!
Original post by benyp7
If velocity is negative, write the modulus of it to get the speed. If the velocity is positive you can just write that as the speed.
Speed is always positive, it is a scalar.
Velocity is a vector quantity, it has direction, so can be negative.

Now maybe I'm just being really stupid, but would you know it's negative if the - was in front?
And if you take the modulus of something, do you basically just put a bracket round it with a -?
Thanks so much
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 428
Now maybe I'm just being really stupid, but would you know it's negative if the - was in front?

Thanks so much

Well its negative if its going in the opposite direction the the positive direction. If it has a minus sign in front of it, of course it's negative.
Reply 429
Original post by Student8
what is that ?!

There is a question in one of the M2 textbooks where you had to to calculate things to do with a ball being dropped from a height and it would rebound up and down and up etc.

Which in theory would be infinite so you needed to combine the sum to infinity equation from C2 with the M2 stuff.

I don't think it will come up though; it was probably just a stretch and challenge thing in the text book.
Reply 430
I'm really worried about this exam, I just hope they dont throw in any random questions that will put me off! My university place depends on this :frown:
Reply 431
Original post by MasterYi
There is a question in one of the M2 textbooks where you had to to calculate things to do with a ball being dropped from a height and it would rebound up and down and up etc.

Which in theory would be infinite so you needed to combine the sum to infinity equation from C2 with the M2 stuff.

I don't think it will come up though; it was probably just a stretch and challenge thing in the text book.

Would you be able to tell me which question in specific so I just might try or even see the solutions! Dont want to take a chance knowing edexcel!!
Original post by benyp7
Well its negative if its going in the opposite direction the the positive direction. If it has a minus sign in front of it, of course it's negative.

Yeah, thanks for spelling it out for me!
Reply 433
Original post by MLogan
I'm really worried about this exam, I just hope they dont throw in any random questions that will put me off! My university place depends on this :frown:

I need a high A-A* realistically to get into Bath! Generally it will be okay i think! It's the time handling and silly mistakes like forgetting g etc.. They bring me down so much!
Reply 434
Original post by MathsNerd1
I'm ready to ace this exam tomorrow, bring it on!!! :biggrin:

So 100%? I'm doing this exam as well :tongue:
Original post by ACBLISS
So 100%? I'm doing this exam as well :tongue:

I'm hoping so, at least 95+% :biggrin:
Reply 436
Original post by MLogan
Would you be able to tell me which question in specific so I just might try or even see the solutions! Dont want to take a chance knowing edexcel!!

I believe it's in the Mixed exercise of chapter 4.
Original post by benyp7
Highly doubt it, only seen one question on it in the old M2 textbook.
Unless they wanna be really mean...

They might do :tongue: Hopefully not since this will be my 4th time sitting M2 lol :colondollar:
Reply 438
Original post by MLogan

I'll scan the pages. Will take a few minutes.
June 2012 question 7, about the lamina - how do you deal with the modulus?

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending